Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree179Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2016, 14:10   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Windass and Crooks.............

Both players never leave anything on the training ground,good young pros and I am sure now that the cats out the bag,they may up their game to our advantage.
The team spirit is second to none,hope they get a good reception
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2016, 14:13   #92
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Crooks will certainly be the biggest loss imho, as fer the comments, the Gers fans seem to have the same opinion of joss's daddy as i do.
Red-Osbornello likes this.
Old 07-01-2016, 14:24   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
Oh my stars! That interview only reinforces my previous opinion of Windass snr & also gives me a little bit of insight into why maybe Josh will be glad to escape over the border away from his ramblings
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 14:37   #94
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red View Post
I wish Josh and Matt all the best in their careers, but this leaves a sour taste.

I would have been happy with them if they had declared that they are fully committed to winning promotion with Stanley, but left in the summer at the end of their contracts.

I would have been happy with them if they left this month with decent transfer fees that, at least, protect Stanley's financial interests.

I would have held them as shining examples of what a Stanley player should be if they had been sold this month with decent fees, but as part of the deal had returned to the former Club to try and win promotion for the rest of the season (as Delle Ali did when signing for Spurs last year).

But to go behind the Club's back and secretly negotiate a deal with another Club, knowing that it delivers the worst possible outcome for their current employers. That leaves a really sour taste.

I know that it's easy to blame their obnoxious agent, but this is about respect. I thought Josh and Matt were better than that.

John and Jimmy have been here before. Remember how we lost most of the 'Play Off' squad a few seasons ago but they have built another great squad and will do again!
ON STANLEY ON with JIMMY and JOHN....
.....to further glorious chapters in the history of our beloved Accrington Stanley!
football19 likes this.

Last edited by choirboy; 07-01-2016 at 14:42.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:25   #95
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red View Post
I wish Josh and Matt all the best in their careers, but this leaves a sour taste.

I know that it's easy to blame their obnoxious agent, but this is about respect. I thought Josh and Matt were better than that.
This sums it up perfectly to me, my thoughts now after considering the "whys @ wherefores" are show them the same respect, fine em and shove em outa the first team. to repay the club like they have is abysmal imho. nothing at all about a player doing the best fer himself, i'm all in favour of that, but this to me is more.
Old 07-01-2016, 16:08   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
"At Accrington every journalist spoke about his dad in interviews but I don’t want that – it’s not about me any more."

QED
yonmon and sherry like this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 17:27   #97
Full Member+

MY Opinion......I'd drop the pair of them now. Permanently.

I don't begrudge the fact that both players have a right to better themselves and move on to bigger and better things. But the way this situation has been played out, leaves a very bitter taste and is quite frankly showing that the pair showed a total lack of respect for the club (who gave them a second chance) and our fans who have supported them.

For me, they both can go and kick a can around on an empty street somewhere until they get their move. I wouldn't have either of them anywhere near the 1st team. I doubt they'll "run through brick walls" for the club and if we are to secure a place in the promotion or even the play off places, we can't carry passengers who are just marking time. I'd also question what this situation does for team morale ??

We're going to have to get used to playing without them so I'd pick players who actually want to play for the club...so step up McCarten to replace Windass and possibly Proccy (if he's match fit??) to fill Crooks' role.

If permanently dropping the pair leaves us thin on the ground numbers wise, I'd hope Coleman can either sign a couple of replacements, gets in a couple of loan players till the end of the season, or failing that give some of our younger fringe players a place on the bench.

I'd also like to express my utter contempt at Glasgow Rangers. I could use stronger words but this forum won't allow them.I admired Mark Warburton when he was manager of Brentford. I thought he was a decent bloke. Not now......

For Rangers to not even have the decency to ask for permission to talk to the pair is crass. They've treated OUR club, our Chairman, Majority Shareholder, our management team and our fans..... with utter disdain and disregard.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 18:24   #98

Right I'm a Rangers fan, why on earth is everyone moaning at us for the way we have "conducted our business"? How in anyway is it disrespectful? The lads are out of contract at the end of the season, we negotiated a contract with them as its their business not the clubs at that point. We were in no way obligated to communicate through AS and despite that we still sent an e-mail saying we are going to talk to them.
So why is your director saying we are classless etc? Thousands of clubs sign players on pre-contracts every year, what makes it so bad that we done it?

Edit: May I add, to the person above me, we do not need to ask for permission when they are in their last 6 months. Its the rules and regulations of FIFA, we followed them, we have done everything but treat your directors etc with disregard.

Last edited by LD72; 07-01-2016 at 18:26.
LD72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 18:26   #99
God Member

On balance, Carpon, I agree with you. Sorry, F19, but I think your usual optimism is misplaced. But in the end, it'll be Professor Coleman's decision that matters.
I think Rangers should be told that, if they expect to welcome two match fit players in June, they should stump up some money now to buy them out of their current contracts with Stanley. The alternative should be them welcoming two lads who haven't kicked a ball in a match for 6 months. If Stanley are to survive without Messrs Windass and Crooks, may as well start now. Why should other players sit on their backsides on the bench for the entire second half of this season just so Rangers can avoid having to pay to keep 'their' players fit.
I think most agree with those who reckon Shay McCarten is ready to take on Windass's place. As for replacing Crooks, I wonder if Seamus Conneely could move upfield and have Messrs Buxton or Proctor take over the more defensive role that Seamus currently fills so well.

Just hope the rain allows the game to go ahead on Saturday so Professor Coleman can get on with a job that was always difficult, but now, thanks to some pimp/agent who doesn't give a toss for the club, is even more so.
Old 07-01-2016, 18:35   #100
Senior Member+

Let them rot in the reserves or even better, loan them to Barrow.

20 decent games for Stanley and they think they are gods.

Absolute disgrace.
Greeny likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 18:45   #101

To be fair Accrington have relied on many loan players so keeping on playing the two lads is not dissimilar. Loyalty is two way Matt Cook got mercilessly slaughter by some on here when he had an ordinary start when forced to play out of position, I even heard him get booed during his second game. Can anyone honestly blame the two for moving to a much bigger club, for more money and a longer contract? The career enhancement angle is surely a big carrot when getting players to come to the club.
widnes viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 18:56   #102
God Member

There's an interesting article on today's Times about Oxford Utd and Michael Appleton's team analysts. The following is a quote;
"Most significant are those key indicators which...determine how likely you are to get out of League Two. There is, their numbers tell them, a direct correlation between how many 50-50 challenges that you win and how many points you get. Every tackle won, in other words, has a direct impact on the chances of promotion".
I'm sure Professor Coleman knows this, without having to employ a full time analyst.
So, if Crooks and Windass do get selected, I'm sure they know what will be expected from them by the club and its fans.
Old 07-01-2016, 18:58   #103

I know I've only been a Stanley 'fan' since last season but for what little it's worth here is what I think.
What has shocked me most about all of this is the vitriol which some Stanley supporters currently have pouring out of their mouths. Some of the comments on social media in particular have been downright nasty.
I also think the way things have been put across by official sources on social media have been extremely naive at best.
For those who think that the lads should be dropped and never play for us again... WTF? That is simply a classic case of 'biting off one's nose to spite face' Even someone as new to things as I am can see that there is no one to replace Crooks within the current squad and dropping him would be damaging to the team and the teams chances of promotion.
The club may have hoped for a better outcome to the always inevitable loss of Crooks and Windass but it is what it is and surely the thing to do is make the best of it? If the lads aren't dragged out of the club and burnt at the stake which seems to be the preferred option for some then... hopefully commonsense will prevail, our good form will continue and come the end of the season we will be in with a shout of promotion.
Josh and Matt go with my best wishes and I look forward to see who the club and management recruit for next season.
Old 07-01-2016, 19:12   #104
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD72 View Post
Right I'm a Rangers fan, why on earth is everyone moaning at us for the way we have "conducted our business"? How in anyway is it disrespectful? The lads are out of contract at the end of the season, we negotiated a contract with them as its their business not the clubs at that point. We were in no way obligated to communicate through AS and despite that we still sent an e-mail saying we are going to talk to them.
So why is your director saying we are classless etc? Thousands of clubs sign players on pre-contracts every year, what makes it so bad that we done it?

Edit: May I add, to the person above me, we do not need to ask for permission when they are in their last 6 months. Its the rules and regulations of FIFA, we followed them, we have done everything but treat your directors etc with disregard.
Thats the difference mate yeh acted within existing rules, which to anyone with a grain of sense, are poor at the best, and only a club with no class would do it the way rangers have imho.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 07-01-2016, 19:18   #105
Senior Member+

Given their evidently accepted (relative) star status, it'll be hard for JC not to play them if they're still on our wagebill, unless/until they show they're not willing to put a proper shift in. What worries me is the prospect of having even a half-decent season in League 1 without two individuals who are seen as having made a critical contribution to us gaining promotion, if we had to pay their true value and match their new wages to get hold of satisfactory replacements. So hopefully they are not actually as good as JC's been saying they are ... I think

It would have been nice to think they would have considered the impact on Stanley by choosing to go this way, but realistically that's too much to hope for in today's me-first culture
AccyMad likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..