Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2016, 11:03   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Windass Bankrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Gentlemen,
There are always two sides to every story. Can I suggest before anyone starts throwing stones, they read the article from the Hull Daily Mail, which throws some light on the background to this media headline. This is about a business investment which was quite legal at the time, but has since been outlawed by our friends at HMRC. Other major football celebrities such as Gary Lineker and Wayne Rooney were also involved in similar business 'investments'.
There have been several occasions over the past few years when our beloved club itself teetered on the verge of bankruptcy, so perhaps we should all remember the old adage about 'people who live in glass houses'.
When it comes to a battle between HMRC and Joe Public, I know who's side I'm on!

Hull City legend Dean Windass: 'I'm not a tax dodger' | Hull Daily Mail
This is not a battle between HMRC and Joe Public. Unlike Lineker, Rooney and presumably Windass snr, Joe Public would not have the money available to indulge in such 'investments'. It is interesting that you have chosen to put that word in quotation marks.

Are you aware of what Windass snr thought about Stanley?
cashman likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2016, 12:57   #17

What were his views as a matter of interest? I know he blames Stanley for not offering him a longer contract (hardly that controversial) but what else?
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 13:41   #18

Blimey! I'm not trying to defend Dean Windass and I'm fully aware of his past comments about Stanley. Personally, I've no time for the guy. All I was attempting to do was highlight the story behind his apparent bankruptcy, as some seem to be under the impression he blew £150,000 on drink or a lavish lifestyle. Like a lot of overpaid modern footballers with more money than sense, he chose the wrong thing to 'invest' his money in and it's come back to bite him on the bum. He may have had money to burn, but he's still just a working class bloke who got lucky.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 14:20   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I know one or two working class blokes that got lucky, one very lucky that went same school as me, he never was a bum or looks down on his roots, unlike some.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 06-10-2016, 18:20   #20
God Member

I cant remember anything particular the Dean said about us, but it was apparent that he was instrumental in Josh not signing a new contract. He then rubbed salt in the wounds by saying it was our fault that Josh left as we didnt offer a big enough contract.

Someone such as Dean should know enough about lower league football to realise we cant go throwing ridiculous contracts around - certainly not enough to ward off Rangers.

I dont think anybody here seriously begrudges Josh going to Rangers, it was just unfortunate that nobody south of the border was prepared to take the plunge on him so that that we got paid.

Dean was also quick to put the boot in on Andy Holt when he was embroiled in his twitter row over the move.

Nothing of note, but a total lack of class from Windyass senior throughout Josh's stay here.
Old 06-10-2016, 19:54   #21
God Member

Agree with Macca, none of the ill feeling towards Windass snr. is in any way a reflection on Josh - everyone knows you can choose your friends but not your family
cashman likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..