Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2021, 09:09   #61
God Member

Re: Wycombe away thread

always think too much emphasis is based on the first game of the season no matter what the result is. i never say anything till at least 6 league games have been played to how good or bad the team and players are. a point would have been a good result yesterday no matter when the game was played. the defeat will have little relevence come may.
cashman, pifco, chevyfire and 2 others like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2021, 09:50   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
majority of strikers from lower leagues won't be on better money.

my point is we have had more success from signing those type of players (Bishop/Charles,Jackson etc) than players on loan from higher up (Hall,Charman,Cassidy,Baker-Richardson etc etc)

we showed glimpses of some neat one touch football and had some good link up play but that counts for nothing when you don't have a shot on goal.

possession stats don't tell the whole story, Wycombe 2-0 up and looked comfortable letting us having the ball 20 yards from our own goal. At one point we went Trafford, Nottingham, Sykes, Nottingham, Sykes, Trafford, Sykes, Butcher, Trafford, Nottingham, Sykes. At 2-0 down.
So we are back to what was first said errors in defence leads to 2-0 for a side like Wycombe who are excellent at seeing a game out it puts you in a position of trying to get back in a game leaving you vunerable to counter attacks. One plus is we managed to pull a goal back against a team that will probably be up there, score 15 minutes earlier and you're in with a chance. Cut the defencive lapses out and we are a good side especially going forward as Monkey Hanger says let's see were we are after half a dozen games. As for wages you would be surprised what some clubs at this level pay for striker,s but I do agree loaners aren't as good usually as your own player. Strong rumours going around about Cole Stockton Morecambe getting snapped up before the window closes but would we have him don't know but never particularly shone when I have seen him play.

Last edited by andyd; 08-08-2021 at 09:52.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:48   #63

Quote:
Silly mistakes cost us today... everyone on different wavelengths and no one picking up the second ball.

This sums it up best for me, just a general lack of coherence, though not for want of trying. There's no point in having McConville and O'Sullivan on the pitch if they can barely get into the opposition's half.

Wycombe supporters I talked to were very confident about the season ahead, they finished strongly last season and have more or less kept the squad together. They looked decent to me, so yesterday's performance and result has to be put into this perspective.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 13:12   #64
God Member

Just finally had chance to watch the highlights both goals shocking defending by Nottingham and Sykes for both goals can't knock the keeper Trafford for either, also mentioned in the commentry which I have checked we had the worst defensive record away from home in League 1 last season with Hughes and Conneelly in a lot of those. That kind of defending to me has nothing to do with possession stats or midfield losing possession it was basics not carried out, lack of concentration or communication but it cost us the game. Cut that out and we will compete, continue and we will face an uphill task.
Old 08-08-2021, 13:57   #65
God Member

Smile Re: Wycombe away thread

Taking onboard the fact that I am a huge fan of King Coley, from what I saw on iFollow last season, for me the back 3/5 is the problem.

When it works, it works well, but it appears to leave us open - it might be the players and not the system???

Also, agree completely AndyD, the goals were shocking!!!!

We had chances to win yesterday, players not playing and leaving are part and parcel of the game and not relevant!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 13:58   #66
God Member

It will be interesting to look back at this thread at the end of the season

monkey hanger likes this.

Old 08-08-2021, 14:07   #67
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
I have checked we had the worst defensive record away from home in League 1 last season.
Think you might want to check that again.

And if we really want to look at pointless stats, we conceded 1.47 goals away from home per game in the league last season with Seamus in the side.
We conceded 3.5 goals per game without him.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 14:33   #68
God Member

Quote:
Think you might want to check that again.

And if we really want to look at pointless stats, we conceded 1.47 goals away from home per game in the league last season with Seamus in the side.
We conceded 3.5 goals per game without him.
Actual away goals conceded over 23 games was 1.48 agree stats mean little can't get away from the fact though both goals were shocking defending yesterday, I presume Coley will have them watching the rerun at training tomorrow. First goal long hopeful punt from Jacobson going nowhere there first really meaningful foray into our half completely missed by our two goal, second again going nowhere pass back hopeful punt in the air going nowhere three defenders all ball watching Sykes vainly waving his arm up for an offside great finish. Doesn't matter about who was were in midfield with that going on like I said hopefully things will improve at the back but it's a long season ahead positive thinking.. Apologize for the worst defensive unit away Swindon worse than us they went down. Good job we have forward,s and creative players who will get us goals but tighten up at the back.
Old 08-08-2021, 15:08   #69
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
actual away goals conceded over 23 games was 1.48 agree .
Kids, don't believe everything you see online or on the news.
Actual away goals conceded over 23 games was 1.82. (not that it really matters, just highlighting)
andyd likes this.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 22:12   #70
Senior Member+

Stanley Josh and Phil Whalley have got it right. Wycombe were stronger, quicker and more organised. We may have topped the possession stats - but a lot of that possession was sideways across the back.

Wycombe had 3 outstanding defenders in Jack Grimmer, Joe Jacobson and Anthony Stewart. Having said that, Jacobson and Grimmer could hardly have had easier games. Garath McCleary was a constant threat - he could well have had a hat-trick had he played the full game.

I am not going to name names, but some of the Stanley passing was woeful.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 22:39   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Stanley Josh and Phil Whalley have got it right. Wycombe were stronger, quicker and more organised. We may have topped the possession stats - but a lot of that possession was sideways across the back.

Wycombe had 3 outstanding defenders in Jack Grimmer, Joe Jacobson and Anthony Stewart. Having said that, Jacobson and Grimmer could hardly have had easier games. Garath McCleary was a constant threat - he could well have had a hat-trick had he played the full game.

I am not going to name names, but some of the Stanley passing was woeful.
And the defending.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:19   #72
God Member

[QUOTE=VALAIRIAN;1255964]Taking onboard the fact that I am a huge fan of King Coley, from what I saw on iFollow last season, for me the back 3/5 is the problem.

When it works, it works well, but it appears to leave us open - it might be the players and not the system???

Also, agree completely AndyD, the goals were shocking!!!!

We had chances to win yesterday, players not playing and leaving are part and parcel of the game and not relevant!!

might say just the same if we watched another team week in week out. we only watched stanley live stream last season and only saw our opponents twice. do not think there will be too much a difference between all the sides in div.1. its just some will have the odd better player and better organised slightly than others.
andyd likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:46   #73
God Member

When you play three at the back you need three players who are when on the ball confident and find a good short pass to a fellow team mate, personally I think Ross isn't that type of player he likes to go long. Also in a back three your flanks are exposed to the long ball as Peterborough showed when they thrashed us quick balls into the corner flag and fast mobile players on the end of it gives you nightmares. Having said that it wasn't the case against Wycombe which is more worrying they were aimless punts that should have been routinely dealt with.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:57   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Whalley View Post
This sums it up best for me, just a general lack of coherence, though not for want of trying. There's no point in having McConville and O'Sullivan on the pitch if they can barely get into the opposition's half.

Wycombe supporters I talked to were very confident about the season ahead, they finished strongly last season and have more or less kept the squad together. They looked decent to me, so yesterday's performance and result has to be put into this perspective.
They haven't mate. They lost / moved on 6 good players from last season.
Allsop, Charles, Onyedinma Pattison, Ikpeazu, Adeniran.
They have made astute replacement signings.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:51   #75
God Member

Just listened to Coley this morning and he still talking about poor defending - as a team... he is not wrong

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..