Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2017, 23:05   #16

Re: Wycombe Match

A vital 3 points moves us to within 1 point of top spot.
After the nervous displays against Guiseley & Newport, tonight's performance was altogether more disciplined.
At no point did we panic, despite it taking 70 minutes before we broke a resolute Wycombe, the team showed belief in their game plan & incredible patience.
Thankfully, the 'Beast' barely featured, thanks mainly to 'Big Ben's' superb defending.
Credit to our defence for another clean sheet. Thought the 'Don' had another incredible game, solid in defence & always a threat going forward.
Thought Rawson made a big difference at the back.
Still prefer Nolan in midfield to Johnson.
Last but not least - well done Hughesie! The scourge of Wycombe - Again!
choirboy and monkey hanger like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-11-2017, 23:14   #17
Senior Member+

A very enjoyable match tonight, as others have said the back three did an ace job in keeping akinfenwa under control, hope J. C. is OK he appeared to fall down just before Micky came on, 4 points clear in third is a wonderful feeling
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 23:17   #18
Full Member+

Superb TEAM display. Well done LADS
chevyfire likes this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 03:35   #19
Senior Member+

Thanks for the reports everyone, sounds like we were pretty much in control and put our cup blues behind us. Good to see fat man was put in his place, one point behind the leaders at this stage, take that any day of the week, well done you red men.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 03:57   #20
God Member

Good onya STANLEY...When the FT whistle went at around 10.30 AM (nz time) I was estatic. That scoreline , well just the fact we won, turned a hot dreary work day into a breeze. On STANLEY on.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 08:56   #21
God Member

nice to see stanley not being bullied out of the game for once against physical opponents. looked better going forward too with billy playing a bit deaper. really exciting game for me. don,t want to pick a man of the match as they all were. 4 points against sides we do not usually do well against is fine by me. what happened to coley, does anyone know.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 10:10   #22

Whole team looked fresh and rejuvenated last night.

It was great to see Billy get a bit of time on the ball and not used as battering ram.

Thought Donacien really looked the part at wing back.

Well done Coley.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 10:31   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thought we needed that last night, had a recent blip in performance lately, at least though we were still picking points up, in the past we didn't, hope its a sign of things to come.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 22-11-2017, 11:22   #24

I think your right Cashy sign of things to come.
Just when I thought we had become a little bit predictable in our tactics, its hats off to Coley, Jimmy and John Doolan
Totally changed our formation and while it took twenty minutes to settle down what a breath of fresh air.
I think it totally bamboozled Gareth Ainsworth and any on watching scouts making notes for future games.
A very very clever move
The good thing is now going into games the opposition will not know how we are going to set up and play
But the key to any set up is our passing game and was spot on last night
I think last night was a statement to the league
Its been a tough week and after Saturday we have a 10 day game break
stanley nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 12:51   #25
Senior Member+

Highlights in HD:
https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/n...n-1-0-wycombe/
KiTChener and choirboy like this.
MikeA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 13:01   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Cheers Mike, twas good to see again.
Old 22-11-2017, 23:19   #27
God Member

3-4-3 is a very effective formation if you have good defenders and in our back 3 last night we have possibly the best 3 defenders in league 2, we had to find a place for Rawson hardly put a foot wrong and in central midfield young Johnson played in Connelly's role in the hole very well. Best pressing performance from a Stanley side in a while and if we can reproduce that side of our game constantly we will be very hard to beat.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 23:47   #28
Full Member+

It was always going to be a tough match, I think Mark Hughes should have been MOM. we played quite well. We actually won a few more second balls. However we do still seem to have a communication problem. we don't seem to look up often enough and spread the ball wide. when we did we were dangerous. Neither wilks or Jackson had a great night last night. We know how they can be but they were well marshalled. McCloud needs more games to get the best from him. I don't know what has happened to Edwards from Hull as he to needs more games. I think we do need to rotate players to keep them fresh. we have all the ingredients of a promotion team. We are struggling at times but we pick a point at least. That is the sign of a team on the up. we should encourage everyone we know to get behind the team. we will go up this time.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 09:16   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
. we have all the ingredients of a promotion team. We are struggling at times but we pick a point at least. That is the sign of a team on the up. we should encourage everyone we know to get behind the team. we will go up this time.
unfortunetly our loan players will be gone come january. think what happens in the transfer window may decide if we go up or not. if we can keep a couple to the end of the season and bring a couple of good lads in we can make it. good thing for us is that coley is quite good in the loan market bringing players in most have never heard of and been successful for us.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 10:03   #30

'Neither wilks or Jackson had a great night last night.'

I thought they were a handful in the first half. Pressing and looking dangerous. Never gave their defence peace. Jackson's pace always a danger.
Wilks tired in 2nd half but he'll only get stronger with more games.

'I think we do need to rotate players to keep them fresh.'
I think Edwards is passed his use by date by now.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..