Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2016, 00:18   #16
God Member

Re: Yeovil match thread

After Oxford, one of the best, this must rank amongst the most frustrating performances this season for me. If only, like Olympic hanky-waving, points were awarded for artistic impression. But little or no point totally dominating possession, making them look a very poor team in the first half, running rings around them with myriad inter-passing, if it remains nil-nil.
At half time, we three wise monkeys, plus Mrs.Exile, all looked at one another and prophesied we'd rue not killing them off.
And, lo, it came to pass.
Gave them a goal, albeit they deserved something for not being quite so appalling in the second half, and it re-energised Yeovil. Stanley huffed and puffed but never really threatened their goal. The first half header (was it Billy Whizz?) was the best effort, and save, but all the other shots were straight at their keeper's stomach. They could be still playing now and I suspect they probably still wouldn't have scored.
Thought Stanley over elaborated the one touch passing game at times, rarely was a simple ball put into space behind their defence for someone to run on to. Are our wingers told to stay so deep when an attack builds? Every time Pierro got the ball he had three defenders between him and the goal, yet there was space behind their full back. Was it significant that Captain Conneely had the odd rare off moment; his misplaced pass, I think, led to their goal. Whilst no-one had a bad game, it just didn't gell tonight.
But at least it should silence, for a few games at least, those who seem to think it's managers who win or lose games by their tactical substitutions, or lack thereof.
I think the one lesson from tonight is that winning or losing is down to the players. Will be interested to see what they've learned at Wimbledon on Saturday.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2016, 00:57   #17
Senior Member+

Once again, Exile is totally correct. But we should expect nothing less.

Coley did indeed make timely and appropriate substitutions - but it was just one of those awful nights.

It was another slip-up that led to the Yeovil goal - a poor pass by Seamus of all people. Matt Crooks had a good shot saved by the keeper but otherwise had a relatively quiet game. Apart from that shot and a great header by Billy Kee, again well saved, we failed to threaten.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:20   #18
Full Member+

Very disappointing result...Given that Oxford hammered York and that gap is now at eight points....albeit with the two games in hand.....which of course we simply must win !!!

The next six games will make or break our drive for the Autos....including four massive home games against rivals....and one massive away game this Saturday at Wimbledon.

For Automatic promotion....I'd suggest we need 13-14 points from these six games....minimum.

I think it would be a positive move on the club's part to lower the admission fee for these four home games....Four home games within just over a fortnight is a big expense at £15 walk ons......given the extra hassle.....What about some sort of hastily arranged package deal ???? Get folk to commit to coming to all four by offering one as a freebie....a.l.a. £45 for all four ??? Give it a snazzy name such as "Drive for 85 (points)" which I think we'll need for the Automatic place ???

Do I think we're good enough for the Automatic spot......YES.....on our day ( with a fully fit squad ) we could give ANY side in this league a beating.....

Do I think we're good enough to stay in League One should we get there.....

debatable.....

I've been to watch Bury a couple of times recently in L1.....Bury have some top notch players ( at least at L1 level ) on their books who they are paying good wages.....also the standard in L1 is a little better.

I'd consider the Shakers as a Yardstick we need to measure ourselves against....

They went up in third place with 85 points last year ( hence the earlier mentioned slogan !! ).....Whatever they finish up with this season would be an immediate achievement goal for survival if we got into League one for next season....

We're gonna lose two key players for peanuts in the summer. They would need replacing along with a couple of additions.....

I hate to say it...but we've dropped some silly points recently (i.e in the last month ) that may cost us that Auto spot...hope I'm wrong.....but I think the nerve shredding play-offs will be our "reward" for an outstanding season.

Last August any ardent Stanley fan would have given their right arm for that "reward"...

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.

Last edited by carpon; 02-03-2016 at 04:22. Reason: typo!!
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:11   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
But at least it should silence, for a few games at least, those who seem to think it's managers who win or lose games by their tactical substitutions, or lack thereof.
I think the one lesson from tonight is that winning or losing is down to the players. Will be interested to see what they've learned at Wimbledon on Saturday.
Thats nonsense, while no sure thing, good substitutions can improve chances of a result. if things aint working or players are tiring,yeh got the choice do nowt or change things and hope.

Last edited by cashman; 02-03-2016 at 08:15.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:53   #20
God Member

one of the few who didn,t expect us to win last night, thought we,d scrape a draw though. probably played them at the wrong time as their form seems to have improved over the last few weeks. seem unlucky as every time we make a mistake it leads to a goal and their keeper being man of the match again. we,ll loose again before the season is finished so don,t panic. need something at Wimbledon on Saturday but it wont be easy.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:58   #21
God Member

I think it would be a positive move on the club's part to lower the admission fee for these four home games....Four home games within just over a fortnight is a big expense at £15 walk ons......given the extra hassle.....What about some sort of hastily arranged package deal ???? Get folk to commit to coming to all four by offering one as a freebie....a.l.a. £45 for all four ??? Give it a snazzy name such as "Drive for 85 (points)" which I think we'll need for the Automatic place ???

can,t see that happening with the present regime. sounds too much like common sense.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:20   #22
God Member

[QUOTE=cashman;1162776]Thats nonsense, while no sure thing, good substitutions can improve chances of a result. if things aint working or players are tiring,yeh got the choice do nowt or change things and hope.[/QUOTE]

It's no more nonsense than suggesting Stanley lose because no substitutions were made (by implication the manager's fault) only for them to lose next time when substitutions are made (presumably also the manager's fault).
When a manager changes things, he's also just hoping, otherwise why didn't he play his 'better' option from the start?
Sometimes substitutions work, sometimes they don't. But it's down to the players to perform.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:22   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

[QUOTE=Exile on Spencer St;1162785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats nonsense, while no sure thing, good substitutions can improve chances of a result. if things aint working or players are tiring,yeh got the choice do nowt or change things and hope.[/QUOTE]

It's no more nonsense than suggesting Stanley lose because no substitutions were made (by implication the manager's fault) only for them to lose next time when substitutions are made (presumably also the manager's fault).
When a manager changes things, he's also just hoping, otherwise why didn't he play his 'better' option from the start?
Sometimes substitutions work, sometimes they don't. But it's down to the players to perform.
No implication about it, its rank poor management that dont try subs when sod all else is working. not to try is the nonsense.
ianray likes this.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:28   #24
God Member

Maybe the frustrations of last night haven't yet been purged from my system, but why am I not surprised that the response to a defeat is to demand a further reduction in admission prices?
How many reductions have to be made before it's accepted that most people in Accrington wouldn't get off their a...s to watch the team if you paid them.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:42   #25
Full Member+

Quote:
Maybe the frustrations of last night haven't yet been purged from my system, but why am I not surprised that the response to a defeat is to demand a further reduction in admission prices?
How many reductions have to be made before it's accepted that most people in Accrington wouldn't get off their a...s to watch the team if you paid them.
I agree with you here Exile. The prices have just been reduced during a time we've got a lot of hype about us and that in itself should be a help to drive people on to the ground. I can't see any regime old or new further reducing them for these matches.

I think regardless of price, the numbers will increase (albeit temporarily) if we're still in this sort of position in a month or so as the excitement will drum up as we hit the final stage of the season - as they did with the last playoff season.

Also - a lot of people outside the regular fan-base potentially won't know how important these next few fixtures are as they won't be studying the table in the same way we are.

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:47   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Thats probably bang on the mark.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:05   #27
Senior Member+

Yeovil and Barnet have been throwing spanners in the dockyards' works recently too - Barnet having beaten both Portsmouth and Plymouth, and Yeovil drawing with both of them. So all three of us "contenders" have only got one point from those 2 games. If we get 4 points from our 2 home games against those 2, things won't look too bad at all - as long as we don't then slip up against the Daggers
Old 02-03-2016, 11:14   #28
Full Member+

Quote:
I agree with you Exile. A price reduction or even free has not worked in the past, There is an image problem for the club, There are enough people in the area that lend their support occasionaly. However we have to ask why they don't come on a more regular basis, I have asked and have never been able to get a clear answer that would give the club something to work on. The team winning is the best we can offer at the moment, I don't know what else the club can do to attract and keep fans at the moment. If the worst happened and we didn't make it to league one then I would reluctantly suggest the club needs a complete honest view of what it's capabilities are and how realistic we can be with an average crowd of 14/1500. But that is for the future, The next 4/5 games will decide if we are good enough to go up. I will be there to the end.
monkey hanger likes this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:59   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
I agree with you Exile. A price reduction or even free has not worked in the past, There is an image problem for the club, There are enough people in the area that lend their support occasionaly. However we have to ask why they don't come on a more regular basis, I have asked and have never been able to get a clear answer that would give the club something to work on. The team winning is the best we can offer at the moment, I don't know what else the club can do to attract and keep fans at the moment. If the worst happened and we didn't make it to league one then I would reluctantly suggest the club needs a complete honest view of what it's capabilities are and how realistic we can be with an average crowd of 14/1500. But that is for the future, The next 4/5 games will decide if we are good enough to go up. I will be there to the end.
40 odd years without a football league club. fans brought up to go elsewhere.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:05   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
40 odd years without a football league club. fans brought up to go elsewhere.
Quite true, which is a shame as there was plenty of good non-league football going on during that time - but for some that level of footy wasn't attractive enough
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..