Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2016, 11:48   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Yeovil match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Quite true, which is a shame as there was plenty of good non-league football going on during that time - but for some that level of footy wasn't attractive enough
Was none going on in 62, so young uns like me went to see football elsewhere, simple fact once yeh get into a footy team, for a few years its unlikely yeh will switch allegiance.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:52   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Was none going on in 62, so young uns like me went to see football elsewhere, simple fact once yeh get into a footy team, for a few years its unlikely yeh will switch allegiance.
Depends on who is in charge and how much they P you off.

And I don't mean at accy this time.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:59   #33
God Member

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that - was just speaking from my own perspective, as being even younger than yourself - Stanley's years in non league was the time I got hooked
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that - was just speaking from my own perspective, as being even younger than yourself - Stanley's years in non league was the time I got hooked
most people are younger than this owd fart.
Old 02-03-2016, 20:58   #35
God Member

Listening to the Arsenal v Swansea game tonight has cured my frustration from last night.
One stat from the first half, when they went in at 1-1, was that Arsenal made 31 passes in their opponents penalty area and Swansea made one. As Professor Coleman said, it's about goals not possession.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 21:12   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
most people are younger than this owd fart.:d

???????? !!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:37   #37

[QUOTE=cashman;1162786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
No implication about it, its rank poor management that dont try subs when sod all else is working. not to try is the nonsense.
Sean Dyche gave an interview recently in which he stated one of the hardest parts of management is to know when to leave things alone. I think subs are more effective when they're brought on as part of a formation change, rather than gambling on like for like.

As RR states....the starting XI tends to contain the players who the manager deems the best.

Its a mercurial art. The lazy midfielder who hasn't won a ball all game can smash in a last minute screamer and win you the game. Who'd be a manager?
Old 03-03-2016, 12:44   #38

As per gates...unfortunately Accrington just isn't a football town. In the same way that despite winning the FA Cup and being in the Premier League for years didn't attract the gates Wigan hoped for as they were and are a rugby town.

For all their faults, I admire the town of Burnleys siege mentality. Us against the world and the football club as a symbol of that. The club is the one thing around which everything revolves. Accrington just doesn't have that. There's no pride in the town...never mind the football team.

Point in case being the Calder pub in Accy centre erupting when Stevenage bagged against us in the play offs.

I don't know what the answer is. All we can do is keep winning and make match day a better experience facilty wise, to take away the excuses the Accy public frequently cite for not coming.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:51   #39
God Member

Quote:
Stanley's years in non league was the time I got hooked
problem is is that there is a level in which people are prepared to watch football. if it falls below that level people will not attend. I for one hate non league football nearly as much as the greedy league for different reasons.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 14:33   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
As per gates...unfortunately Accrington just isn't a football town. In the same way that despite winning the FA Cup and being in the Premier League for years didn't attract the gates Wigan hoped for as they were and are a rugby town.

For all their faults, I admire the town of Burnleys siege mentality. Us against the world and the football club as a symbol of that. The club is the one thing around which everything revolves. Accrington just doesn't have that. There's no pride in the town...never mind the football team.

Point in case being the Calder pub in Accy centre erupting when Stevenage bagged against us in the play offs.

I don't know what the answer is. All we can do is keep winning and make match day a better experience facilty wise, to take away the excuses the Accy public frequently cite for not coming.
Not sure accy aint a football town Alvin? with reasonably bigger clubs 5 miles either side is what makes a big difference to me. we were averaging 3000 in 62, that as we all know caused lost generations.
Old 03-03-2016, 14:48   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Not sure accy aint a football town Alvin? with reasonably bigger clubs 5 miles either side is what makes a big difference to me. we were averaging 3000 in 62, that as we all know caused lost generations.
another factor for smaller clubs was we were 3rd Div North, which meant better gates for the small clubs.
Alvin the chipmunk likes this.
Old 03-03-2016, 15:50   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:

Agree with a lot of what you say, Alvin, although I would say that Accy is a football town - it's just that most locals support football clubs outside the town.

Sadly, this weekend most football-minded Accringtonians will be more concerned with what happens at Turf Moor rather than what happens at Wimbledon.

Even local councillors who keep banging on about supporting town centre businesses go and support football clubs elsewhere.

The incident in the Calder with Accringtonians cheering the misfortune of Stanley sums up this town to a T. If a similar match occurred involving any other small town, even those locals who supported bigger clubs elsewhere, would want their home town club to do well. Not Accrington; go into any pub in town wearing Stanley gear and watch the reactions ranging from sullen indifference to derision and hostility. Go to most other places in the country (apart from Satanage and a few other places!) and your Stanley shirt will elicit interest and affection.

Anyone who takes over this club has to face the fact that gates are never going to improve to any significant extent...because hardly anybody in Accy really cares.
Old 03-03-2016, 16:38   #43
God Member

8 home games left 5 of which should bring good following,s if we stay in and around our current league position we could end up averaging about 1800 which in a Southern based division and only 200 ish short of the so called break even figure would in this day and age not be bad and maybe something to build on.
maccawozzagod likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 21:45   #44
Senior Member+

Cool Re: Yeovil match thread

Quote:
In the same way that despite winning the FA Cup and being in the Premier League for years didn't attract the gates Wigan hoped for as they were and are a rugby town.
Having watched and worked at the JJB (sorry DW now) on both Rugby and Football matches, I cannot say you are entirely correct on this assumption.
WAFC got gates of up to 25,000 when Premier league (although they probably averaged approximately 19,000) and the rugby club only fills the ground for internationals and usually averages 15,000, maybe a few more (PS the ground only holds 25,000). Obviously the crowds for the football have dwindled due to the consecutive relegations, but, and I am not certain, the crowds will surely be on the up, given the success of where they are in League One. As for Accrington Stanley, it has been said before, when they succumbed in 1962 we lost a lot of support to other teams, not just 5 or 6 miles away, but those in Manchester and further afield. Fathers then persuaded sons and daughters to follow these teams and not the hometown team. I have family experience of this because my stepdaughter supports Arsenal all because Thierry Henry used to play for them. What chance have Stanley got? Unless Stevie Gerrard comes to play for us for a season at the end of his US contract.
cashman and football19 like this.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:26   #45
God Member

I have family experience of this because my stepdaughter supports Arsenal all because Thierry Henry used to play for them. What chance have Stanley got? Unless Stevie Gerrard comes to play for us for a season at the end of his US contract.[/QUOTE]

does she go to matches to watch arsenal. you see loads of people and not all kids walking around with their new top premier league shirt on and only see them on sky or match of the day. when I ran the amusement arcade in Norfolk they are all their and no nowt about the clubs they profess to support. the few non prem shirt wearers are true supporters who will talk all day about their side. Stanley are passion not fashion.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..