Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2014, 07:35   #91
Junior Member+

Re: Yeovil replay thread

[QUOTE=football19;1126525]Now that the disappointment has worn off,let's have a reality check !!,
We've come within ten minutes of getting a result,away from home,against a team who won 4-0 away from home last Saturday and were in the championship last season.
Was never going to be easy,and it sounds like we give it a real go in testing conditions.
Recent results suggest we've been doing well and creating chances,I would be more worried if we hadn't !!.
Coley likes to play with one up top,,who has a presence,and runners off him,upto last night,we had scored 10 in 5 games and creating numerous others.
Crooke certainly has a presence and I really feel for him as the ball just won't go in the net.
Liverpool are paying 50k a week to a player with the same problem !!.
As long as we are creating chances and getting results,I am not really bothered who scores.
We will find out on Saturday,how far we have come since coley came back,despite the recent long journeys,I suspect he will have them fired

a fair statement ..positive attitude ..
missastrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-12-2014, 07:57   #92
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Right my 2 pennorth, Was only one team looked like winning last night until 10/12 mins before the end, The turning point to me a terrible miss once again, by a lad who is never gonna be a striker, I may have NO coaching qualifications, But i aint stupid. The song "Super Johnny Coleman" is a ruddy Joke, once that miss occurred Yeovil took the bull by the horns, Thought unlike Frank Moody we were a different team once Windass came on Him n McCarten really moved the ball well,and quicker, Marcus was ineffective and suspect he picked up a knock early doors when his shot was quickly blocked? Looked that way to me?
Chubbyman likes this.
Old 17-12-2014, 08:30   #93
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Upto last night,we had scored 10 in 5 games and creating numerous others.
Crooke certainly has a presence and I really feel for him as the ball just won't go in the net.
Another part of the reality is that we could and should have won last night. I do agree with the positivity, f19, (and I did say in my comments that there were "lots of positives") but ....
How many of those 10 goals in 5 games have been crafted by Crooks? I agree that he has a presence, but so does Nelson's Column. The only difference is that one moves and the other doesn't. There is little to choose between them in football ability. It is not just a question of the ball not going in the net. He cannot win headers even against defenders not as tall as he is; he cannot trap and control the ball; he cannot pass to a team mate; and he is far too easily outmuscled, especially for a player of his size. Why on earth did our management team persist with him for 90 minutes last night?
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 08:44   #94
Senior Member+

Cashy,that's my point !!,Coley maybe sacrificing an out and out goal scorer for a player who fits the system (ie 3 attackers behind a focal point).
Not many teams have a "20 goal a season" player playing on his own up top.
A lot of work Crookes goes un-noticed,particularly when we are defending (Big Kay was the same).
Hes getting in the right areas,just not getting the results.
IMO hes the best player for the system we have,but not the best finisher by a country mile , who would be a manager
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 08:52   #95
God Member

Only second time I've seen Crooks and I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after Pompey, but agree with Revived Red. It's not that he managed to miss an open goal that was the heart of the problem last night of his selection, but because he appeared to have little or no ball control.

But I thought Yeovil did a 'Satanage' last night, exemplified by the barge on the goalkeeper for their first goal. Jumping sideways into young Rose was just one incident that the ref nor myopic linesman noticed. They harried, and hassled every Stanley players anywhere on the pitch. As soon as anyone in red received or were about to receive the ball, they were challenged, fairly or not. Having said that, Stanley did not disgrace themselves, or the fantastic supporters who got behind them from before the kick off. I thought Joyce in particular played his heart out, and they all did their best, but they just didn't create enough clear chances.
And when Crooks missed what looked like the best chance from the rebound from McCartan's shot, it was almost inevitable what would happen.
AccyMad and Revived Red like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 08:54   #96
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The song "Super Johnny Coleman" is a ruddy Joke
Well, each to his own, but as a chant, it's ours, it's simple, everybody knows it and it's clean .... so what's not to like?

They don't make more noise in Accy library, either, at least they didn't use to, but kids today, who knows?
Old 17-12-2014, 08:55   #97
Senior Member+

RR, I understand what your saying,but the reality is hes a young lad just starting,and hes on his own up top,against two first division defenders (four of his games).
Why is is not on loan at a club higher up the pyrimid??.
The truth is we can only afford rough diamonds,some polish up,some don't.
Who would you play in his place?,not many options.
Old 17-12-2014, 08:58   #98
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Cashy,that's my point !!,Coley maybe sacrificing an out and out goal scorer for a player who fits the system (ie 3 attackers behind a focal point).
Not many teams have a "20 goal a season" player playing on his own up top.
A lot of work Crookes goes un-noticed,particularly when we are defending (Big Kay was the same).
Hes getting in the right areas,just not getting the results.
IMO hes the best player for the system we have,but not the best finisher by a country mile , who would be a manager
Disagree F19, to me Coleman is persisting with the lad cos he will not hold his hand up n say i was wrong, simple as, No-one will convince me he dont know a striker when he sees one.cos he wasn't a bad un himself Its Pig headed persistence in my view. I wasn't at pompey on sat, but seems the lad had his best showing when moved back to midfield, according to people that were there. By playing him as a striker in the 2 yeovil matches in both games its cost us the Man U tie.
Old 17-12-2014, 09:44   #99
Senior Member+

Justin Jackson, Jack Sampson, James Alabi........ A few names that ring a bell, that also didn't work out.

Nothing personal against the lad, but he is simply not the answer.

Its all well and good ""getting into the area's" F19 but if you cant do anything when you actually get the ball what's the point??? By that analyst picking Mo Farah as a winger is about right?!?!? He will run all bloody day....... Absolutely ridiculous statement as usual.

If Marcus, Gray and Bowerman are all not up to it.....Anyone got Terry Gornell's number???

Still gutted! And fuming !
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 09:46   #100

The Mancs supporters will be happy with the result. They won't have as far to travel!
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 09:53   #101
Resting in Peace

Here's an anomaly. We are all bemoaning our lack of goal power but only Wycombe, the leaders, have scored more in the league than us. However, only the bottom 2 have conceded more goals than us! Where are Football 19's beloved clean sheets?
As for Crooks, Football 19 tells us he has presence and does a lot of unnoticed work in defence. I can't say I've noticed much of that but as for presence, Thwaites's brewery could provide plenty of draymen who could do that job for us. It's really not good enough to keep defending the undefendable. I think Cashy has hit the nail on the head.
smudgie likes this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 10:06   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Here's an anomaly. We are all bemoaning our lack of goal power but only Wycombe, the leaders, have scored more in the league than us. However, only the bottom 2 have conceded more goals than us! Where are Football 19's beloved clean sheets?
As for Crooks, Football 19 tells us he has presence and does a lot of unnoticed work in defence. I can't say I've noticed much of that but as for presence, Thwaites's brewery could provide plenty of draymen who could do that job for us. It's really not good enough to keep defending the undefendable. I think Cashy has hit the nail on the head.
Draymen ?

Think they've got a Shire Horse or two that could do that job for us
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 10:10   #103
Senior Member+

Another positive reply from Smudgie!!,
I presume you know all the players Coleys tried to bring in?,and what did Gornell do in the playoffs when up top on his own.
Not one effort on goal is the answer and was bullied all game,you will be wanting Hatfield back next and get rid of the loanees!!
You have made it obvious you don't like Coley,but just check our league position,he knows more about football than me or you will ever know,you really need to be more positive,four games against first division teams,without our best players,and one loss just shows how far we have come
Old 17-12-2014, 10:18   #104
Senior Member+

Im sick to death of your constant drivel, and your disagreements with my posts, that you have done ever since you entered this forum ..... A number of years after myself if im correct!

Gornell was probably the best striker we ever had, he was the perfect front man for a lone striker role. Hence the playoffs with him in the side!

Why dont we bring back Bertrand Bossu in goal??! Might aswell at this rate.

No doubt Coley has done a wonderful job in the past, and yes he has transformed us this season, but make no mistake about it, his decisions alone cost us the Man U game last night.
keep the faith likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 10:22   #105
Full Member+

1 min 40 secs Crooks misses a sitter. BBC Sport - Yeovil Town 2-0 Accrington Stanley
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..