Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2004, 21:49   #16

Re: York Game

You don't get the atmosphere, but you can get a good idea of what went on here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/...ml/live_hi.stm

Useful for following matches you can't get to, as well.
Chester Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2004, 21:58   #17

I went tonight and I thought we played very well, we just need to learn how to finish our chances. We had enough opportunities to win about 25-0, but some great saves from the York 3rd choice keeper (The 2nd choice got sent off, in case you didn't know) and some terrible shots kept York in with a chance.
Craney impressed me, as did Bimson, Jagielka and Cookie (Always)
Old 31-08-2004, 22:42   #18
Full Member+

The game was there for the taking after their goalie got sent off on 17 minutes for a professional foul. He hauled Craney down when he tried to run past him to latch onto a long ball. Pity it was outside the area, but Rory hit the bar with the free-kick and that was how it would be for the rest of the match. As SuperAccyStan said, we should have easily scored three or four more, but I've thought that in every game apart from Stevenage.

Their teenage goalie earned their match of the man award which says a lot about the chances that we had.

Don't understand why we took Craney off midway through the second half and replaced him with Lutel. He is going to score a lot of goals through the middle this year, whereas Lutel's chances are limited on the right.

In contrast to second half of last season when we tended to panic when holding onto a lead, there was a definite swagger to our play once Cook came on. We were just passing it around and stopping them getting the ball, which was easy with them only having 10 men. It didn't stop us having a couple of nervy moments when we almost got caught out passing it along our back line though!

All in all, another very polished performance and I can't think of any side from last season that would trouble us if we continue to play like this ... except the occasional bad day at the office which every team has!

Last edited by Whalley Red; 31-08-2004 at 22:43.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 23:01   #19

Agreed. The first fifteen minutes belonged to them and the game definitely swung our way when they were (rightly) reduced to ten men. All played well and TBH JK didnt have a shot to save all match - but standing out amongst a good bunch tonight were Jaggers, Bimson, Howson and Craney.

Their replacement Keeper was making his debut tonight (he didn't even have his name printed on his jersey!) and, if his performance this evening is anything to go by, they have a very good young keeper on their hands. He kept them in touch with a string of very good stops and thoroughly deserved their MOM by a long stretch. If we had put even a quarter of our good chances away (especially second half) then we would have run out winners by three/four goals. But hey I cant complain, its just that with ten minutes to go I thought that if they had grabbed a sneaky equaliser then we would be rueing the chances that we had to put the game well beyond their reach - but the thing is we created many chances and defended stoically so at the end of the day (cliche alert!) we thoroughly deserved to win. York can (and probably will) complain that their keeper shouldn't have gone but, from where I was, the Ref had no choice.

We have won two out of three on our travels so far this season - over the whole of last season we only managed something like three away wins - and that is play-off, if not outright winners, form. Well done to all - a thoroughly good night!
Old 01-09-2004, 01:06   #20
God Member

we have equaled last seasons away win record of two games.. they where at dagenham and liegh rmi

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..