Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2019, 07:24   #31
God Member

Re: Zanzala

[QUOTE=Spartacus2nd;1225732] If we drop back to L2 this year, or next year, then so what? We can be a force again in that league. If crowds drop again then so what? We've increased our ability to maximise away fan income with the new stand.

if we did go down this season the newer fans we have got this season will in the main fall away again. season ticket sales will drop under the 1000 mark again and you,ll have a nice new stand for the 50 odd crawley fans again. there is no guarentee we would storm back either. ask yeovil fans about the benefits of relegation as they could have the benefit of a day out in dover next season.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2019, 07:57   #32
Senior Member+

Good points Monkey.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 09:27   #33

In an ideal world we should be saying that a token figure, 50% say, goes back in, but we wouldnt be able to afford the wages next year if we havent sold more nuggets.

Last yrar for example, our transfer fees received would have been almost the same as our annual turnover. As a £5m a year club we would be highly competitive in L2, and able to tread water in L1 ... but without sales a £2.5m club is only just competitive in the conference.

I trust Andy implicitly, but he needs to find a way of doubling our turnover so the income can be budgeted for rather than hoped for
Spartacus2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 09:45   #34
Full Member+

There will be a point where the building work is completed and the facilities are how Holty wants. That isn't a million miles away in my view. 2-3 years. Once that happens, I'd imagine alot more money will be going in to the playing budget.

Interesting as well that we are now signing players 'for the future'

Andy Scott - I am a massive fan of his and he had a successful loan spell at Stalybridge Celtic earlier in the season (scored an absolute beauty of a free kick on his debut from 30yards out - 'ey 28 could solve our set piece problems haha!!)

Okera Simmonds - highly rated from the people I've spoke to and had other offers elsewhere - ex Liverpool and Blackburn youth striker. Seen him a few times in training and he's very Kayden Jackson esque with his play.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 10:30   #35

Aymen Josh. Youre right of course. There IS a ceiling on what we can or will do to the ground.

Main stand/clubhouse/changing rooms ... majoritively paid for by the Donacien money providing the plans dont get too grand. My understanding is that the stand itself remains as it is, existing clubhouse and changing rooms get demolished, replaced and joined together, concourse included.

Away end ... a lot of background works are underway as part of the new stand. Will probably be minimal with a roof and concourse similar to the Clayton End. Paid for by the next transfer or cup run?

Community Hub ... paid for externally, ongoing issues, not really relevant but will still be great for the club

Training ground ... seems King Georges is now the preferred option, with costs lower than building from scratch in Read. Paid for by the Jackson transfer with probably some to come back to the club

Once those 2 things are done at The Wham he will probably take a look at how to increase commercial activity, probably put a huge push in for increasing fan base (reduced prices?) and then we're as done as we can be
Old 20-03-2019, 10:53   #36
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=StanleyJosh;1225742]There will be a point where the building work is completed and the facilities are how Holty wants. That isn't a million miles away in my view. 2-3 years. Once that happens, I'd imagine alot more money will be going in to the playing budget.

Three years is a long time in football mate .......... but if the die hards are happy game on.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 11:00   #37
Full Member+

Three years is a long time in football mate .......... but if the die hards are happy game on.[/QUOTE]

Y'see. I'm a bit like you 28 in the sense that I have only been following Stanley for 7 years or so. I also have a strong background in football and some good connections.

Whilst I agree in some respect about keeping the 'die hards' happy - I do feel that the club has to move on with our without there acceptance.

I mention this in the nicest way possible, but having attended Q&A's with the supporters club with Andy, John, Jimmy, DB etc, I do feel that "some" people cannot let go of the past and, as with many walks of life, are not acceptable of change, regardless of success.

Hopefully within those 2-3 years, we will have made ourselves a comfortable League 1 outfit, and with everything else falling into place, whose to say we couldn't challenge once again.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I for one am much more thankful we were promoted when we were, rather than 3 years ago.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 12:06   #38

I see your point Josh (letting go of the past), but we have to be mjndful of 1893, 1912ish, 1962, 1966, and 2009. Its not just for the die hards, but tomorrows die hards. The club's existence is paramount rather than the current elevated status. I hope that the current elevated status continues but it cant be at the expense of running the club within its means. If that means an imminent return to L2 or below then personally Id take it
AccyMad and Chimer like this.
Old 21-03-2019, 09:49   #39
God Member

[QUOTE=Spartacus2nd;1225751]I see your point Josh (letting go of the past), but we have to be mjndful of 1893, 1912ish, 1962, 1966, and 2009. Its not just for the die hards, but tomorrows die hards.

its fine to remember the past but not to let it affect the present or the future. do think a lot of older fans {i mean time supporting stanley not their actual age** do seam to miss the good old non league days and not 100 per cent behind the modernisation of the club done by andy holt.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 10:14   #40
God Member

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1225777]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus2nd View Post
I see your point Josh (letting go of the past), but we have to be mjndful of 1893, 1912ish, 1962, 1966, and 2009. Its not just for the die hards, but tomorrows die hards.

its fine to remember the past but not to let it affect the present or the future. do think a lot of older fans {i mean time supporting stanley not their actual age** do seam to miss the good old non league days and not 100 per cent behind the modernisation of the club done by andy holt.
I definitely look back on the non league days with oodles of affection, doesn't mean to say I'm not thrilled with how our club has evolved but those times should absolutely never be forgotten.
The work that Andy has done/is doing is fantastic but there wouldn't have been anything to build up but for the sterling work done by his predecessors to ensure we even stayed in existence. Make no mistake, the troubles in 2009 would have caused a repeat of the 1962 situation.
I'm probably not always completely in agreement with everything the club does but that's not just now, it's always been the case - doesn't mean i'm not backing Andy Holt, just that I don't follow anyone with blind faith & if there's something that doesn't feel right I speak up about it, that's another really good thing about our club - there's usually someone who'll listen

Last edited by AccyMad; 21-03-2019 at 10:19.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 22:52   #41
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Zanzala

Quote:
When we won the NPL we had a tidy little ground and our zero or one full time staff was ample. All money was redirected to the playing squad. Three years later we exceeded expectation and won The Conference. TV monies aside there was no great increase in revenue but wages sky rocketed. Since then it was always the case that every spare penny went into the squad leaving us on a trail of increasing debt and rapid decline of facilities.

The next ten years saw us go from being the poorest club with the poorest facilities, to being far and away the poorest club with disgusting facilities. Andy came in, put his hand on the tiller and turned us into a profitable club. That said we still have the poorest facilities and are still the poorest club (with the possible exception of Morecambe). We have competed admirably during that period which is testament to Coleman.

If we doubled our playing budget we would still be in the bottom 3 or 4 clubs of League 2, but would be back to the cycle of having no money to pay bills or improve infrastructure.

It might be 'little Stanley' mentality but i am more than happy to see little progress on the pitch for the foreseeable future. If we drop back to L2 this year, or next year, then so what? We can be a force again in that league. If crowds drop again then so what? We've increased our ability to maximise away fan income with the new stand.

Some clubs spend success windfall money on gambling for more success, we're spending ours on cementing what we have as a club rather than a team

Certainly the best post I have read on here for a LONG time. Bravo
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 08:04   #42

[QUOTE=Twenty Eight;1225745]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
There will be a point where the building work is completed and the facilities are how Holty wants. That isn't a million miles away in my view. 2-3 years. Once that happens, I'd imagine alot more money will be going in to the playing budget.

Three years is a long time in football mate .......... but if the die hards are happy game on.
If you are in a rush to get somewhere, then please get going. If you've got another team you want to support, then please support them.

If you really think 3 years is a long time in anything, never mind football you would be better off supporting Manchester City now and then the next wealthy team to buy success when their owner stops spending on the team.
smudgie and andyd like this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 09:01   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=Crown Grounder;1225957]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post

If you are in a rush to get somewhere, then please get going. If you've got another team you want to support, then please support them.

If you really think 3 years is a long time in anything, never mind football you would be better off supporting Manchester City now and then the next wealthy team to buy success when their owner stops spending on the team.
Thats gotta be the stupidest post ever.
Old 24-03-2019, 09:12   #44
Full Member+

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1225734]
Quote:
If we drop back to L2 this year, or next year, then so what? We can be a force again in that league. If crowds drop again then so what? We've increased our ability to maximise away fan income with the new stand.

if we did go down this season the newer fans we have got this season will in the main fall away again. season ticket sales will drop under the 1000 mark again and you,ll have a nice new stand for the 50 odd crawley fans again. there is no guarentee we would storm back either. ask yeovil fans about the benefits of relegation as they could have the benefit of a day out in dover next season.
The best contribution we all could make is to renew our season tickets. I have.
cashman likes this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 09:49   #45
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1225777]
Quote:
I see your point Josh (letting go of the past), but we have to be mjndful of 1893, 1912ish, 1962, 1966, and 2009. Its not just for the die hards, but tomorrows die hards.

MH !... As you know, Not only am I one of the oldest fans agewise , but can,!Ike so many more of the 'older' fans you mention,remember the days of yore at Peel Park !, and well remember the night when soccer was first played under floodlights there, and feeling a measure of pride at this development at our little club.
I have the same emotions when I walk onto the Wham today, and wonder at the thought and skill behind transforming what was a poorly drained, sloping patch of meals surrounded by a single steel rail ( to prevent crowd invasions ? ) into the attractive Soccer stadium it has become , and silently thank Andy Holt and his team for this.
Although in my dotage, I can hope that I , like so many more ' die hards ' can hope for even more development of all that makes Accrington Stanley great, including the acquiring of players who will ensure that we remain in League 1 but go on to greater things !..

I for one am 100 percent behind all that is Accrington Stanley,as are most of my contemporaries .. our somnolent appearance may not always convince the watcher of this
but i I think t to be true... So there !.

On Stanley... On to greater things .
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..