Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/)
-   -   Holiday Postcards (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/holiday-postcards-4602.html)

lettie 20-06-2004 06:28

Holiday Postcards

Once again, the holiday season is upon us. It would be impossible to send a postcard to all your friends on Accrington Web, so why not put a couple of piccies of your holiday destination in here...... :D

lettie 20-06-2004 06:48

Re: Holiday Postcards

3 Attachment(s)
Cala en Porter, Menorca.

Nice island is Menorca, fairly quiet but definately geared up for children. Unable to get my usual flight to Athens and off to an island, I settled for a late deal here. There are kids everywhere you look, all the restaurants and amenities have ramps at the entrances to enable prams and buggies to be pushed into them. Unfortunately the ramps are very steep and not suitable for wheelchairs. Situated on a cliff top it's quite a steep walk to the beach. There are 174 steps cut into the cliff that you can use to access the beach, or a steep winding road, which does take a little longer. This place is unsuitable for people with walking difficulties. A good choice of restaurants, but they all have the additional "Chicken Nugget" menu attatched to the main menu. Ketchup and HP Sauce on every table and those horrible excuses for chips made famous by Mc D's known as fries. I did manage to find a rather seedy looking in need of decorating restaurant, which had no kids running round knocking into your table. On the picture, it is just behind the couple crossing the road, and up some steps (no ramp, yippee!!) The food here was top notch, do not let the appearance of this restaurant fool you.
The weather was unusually dodgy. Thunder storms on sunday and tuesday, accompanied by torrential rain. Menorca is a very windy island, when you hit the beach here you are literally sandblasted. I had to hire a JCB to dig the sand out of my Natal Cleft. Thursday and Friday were boiling hot, way to hot for me to sit in the sun, being a fair skin. I have no sunburn, just wind burn..

On the whole, a nice place if you have kids. If you are thinking of having kids, but can't make up your mind come to Cala en Porter for a week. The constant screeching, tantrums and "can I, can I, can I" will definately help you make up your mind... :D

Back to the Saronics next year for me.. ;)

janet 20-06-2004 11:11

Looks like all the sun beds are lined up there ready for the german invasion lettie. ( pic 1 )

simon 20-06-2004 11:19

Looks very nice Lettie .Would love to dive off some of those cliffs in pic 1 :)

Kids thing sound a bit to butlins for me though :(

Hope you Enjoyed it though :)

sarnie boy 20-06-2004 13:41

Suntans all round :)

grego 20-06-2004 21:47

Good pics Lettie, as you know we are going there in September along with a little angel, were there a lot of Germans? not that I have anything against them.

lettie 20-06-2004 21:55

I actually never came across a single German in my resort which surprised me. Lots of Scottish and Irish, and loads of Spaniards from the mainland. Maybe it has something to do with the time of year... :idunno:

ShortStuff 21-06-2004 12:59

Nice photos Lettie - wonder if Sparky's holiday photos turned out similar???

Sparkologist 21-06-2004 18:09

I didn't take my camera, due to excess baggage problems. It's a rather large, little Canon number, the body and lens weighs in excess of 3 kilos. Anyway pictures can't beat memories.

grego 21-06-2004 21:40

How many outfits did you need for a few days away Sparky, if a 3k camera would've been excess baggage, or was it too many shoes!

WINGY 21-06-2004 21:49

it aint too many shoes he's only got 2 feet i've seen em!!!

Bazf 18-07-2004 02:45

5 Attachment(s)
I forgot about this until you mentioned it in another thread Lettie...
So here are some pics from Washington DC.