Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/)
-   -   Animal pictures? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/animal-pictures-62345.html)

Sunflower49 07-09-2012 16:39

Animal pictures?

Is there an animal/pets picture thread? If there is mods please shift this image, I couldn't find one.
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...fde155bbca.jpg
A baby hedgehog I found at the side of the road.
She's fine, apart from underweight, (obviously) it's almost hibernation time and she will never survive so I've taken her to a rescue place.

:)

jaysay 07-09-2012 17:16

Re: Animal pictures?

Nice one

maxthecollie 07-09-2012 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1013965)
Is there an animal/pets picture thread? If there is mods please shift this image, I couldn't find one.
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...fde155bbca.jpg
A baby hedgehog I found at the side of the road.
She's fine, apart from underweight, (obviously) it's almost hibernation time and she will never survive so I've taken her to a rescue place.

They are supposed to be on the endangered list now aren't they?

Sunflower49 08-09-2012 08:37

Yes they are :(
I HATE seeing hedgehog roadkill. I hate seeing any roadkill but rabbits/cats/squirrels are fast and unpredictable-they will dart into the road, I can see how it's difficult to avoid those sometimes.
Hedgehogs, they move soooo slowly!? How the hell can you not notice one. I guess some folk just don't look where they are going.
I think I am going to write an article about this and put it on my facebook, actually. It's not THAT long until bonfire night, and I know many of them succumb to finding a 'safe' (so they think) place amidst a prepared pile of sticks :(

Sunflower49 08-09-2012 16:11

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...03977774_n.jpg
Another pic here of her trying to escape the shoebox I put her in to carry her home!

Tealeaf 08-09-2012 17:38

Hedgehog is supposed to be very nice when baked in clay. Well, that's how the gypos eat 'em, anyway.

Sunflower49 16-09-2012 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 1014316)
Hedgehog is supposed to be very nice when baked in clay. Well, that's how the gypos eat 'em, anyway.

Nice :rolleyes:
Me,my dog and my friend's dog
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...845976_n-1.jpg

One of the ex-battery chickens from a rehome project my friend and I did last autumn :)
More pics of that here if you want-I *think* it's a public album but I am a bit rubbish at fb.
Chickens!Rescue Winter 2011 | Facebook

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...93637041_n.jpg

...Can anybody tell I'm procrastinating? :D :):hidewall:

MargaretR 16-09-2012 14:53

How cruel that you denied the hedgehog freedom of its natural habitat.
How do you reconcile your veganism with this violation of this animal's rights ;).

'I don't want to be saved' is the answer to doorstep godbotherers - the hedgehog may well feel the same.

Sunflower49 16-09-2012 14:55

I just couldn't leave it knowing it wouldn't survive the winter. I know I interfered with nature, but it was in my nature to help. I deal with such dilemmas all the time!

Restless 16-09-2012 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1016577)
How do you reconcile your veganism with this violation of this animal's rights ;).

By hugging chickens :)

MargaretR 16-09-2012 14:56

I hug trees when I get the chance, but I don't uproot them :D

Gremlin 16-09-2012 19:45

That little dog was kept in a cage for nine weeks.
Some evil person threw her out of a car when she was tiny. We were asked to help by Hyndburn stray dogs but they didn't expect her to survive.
The vet almost put her to sleep but my wife nursed her back to health and cared for her night and day.
the reason for the cage, she had a broken pelvis and her paws were rubbed raw.
You should see her now 8 years later, running about like a good un. The home she went to thinks the world of her and brings her to see us every time they are in the area.

The other photo is one I took of a puppy my wife walked for the GDBA, one of eight she got through it's initial training and then it went to work with a visual impaired person.

davemac 16-09-2012 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1016676)
Some evil person threw her out of a car when she was tiny. We were asked to help by Hyndburn stray dogs but they didn't expect her to survive.
The vet almost put her to sleep but my wife nursed her back to health and cared for her night and day.
You should see her now 8 years later, running about like a good un. The home she went to thinks the world of her and brings her to see us every time they are in the area.

The other photo is one I took of a puppy my wife walked for the GDBA, one of eight she got through it's initial training and then it went to work with a visual impaired person.

There are some nasty gits around, thanks for caring.

maxthecollie 16-09-2012 19:53

Quote:

It's nice to hear something good in this day and age

Sunflower49 16-09-2012 22:36

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1016679)
It's nice to hear something good in this day and age

That's a lovely story, thanks for sharing :)

Gremlin 17-09-2012 18:15

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

The pictures were deleted in the original post, accidentally by Mick.
The post doesn't make sense without them so he has asked me to post them again.

davemac 17-09-2012 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1016946)

the first picture here is better than the one you posted first, more dog less cage.

Gremlin 17-09-2012 20:21

Glad you are taking notice Dave,it makes the effort worth it.

maxthecollie 17-09-2012 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1016946)

Pity you couldn't keep her as you have nursed her back to health.

Gremlin 17-09-2012 20:47

Yes we would love to have kept her, she went to a fantastic home.
The only way we could keep her was for my wife to pack in working for the uGD BA.
We had a guide dog puppy and a retired guide dog and they said another dog was too many to have around a young trainee puppy.
They allowed us to keep the injured Tilly until she was well enough to be rehomed.
My wife would have given up with the guide dogs if Tilly couldn't get a good home.

susie123 17-09-2012 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1017003)
Yes we would love to have kept her, she went to a fantastic home.
The only way we could keep her was for my wife to pack in working for the uGD BA.
We had a guide dog puppy and a retired guide dog and they said another dog was too many to have around a young trainee puppy.
They allowed us to keep the injured Tilly until she was well enough to be rehomed.
My wife would have given up with the guide dogs if Tilly couldn't get a good home.

Your lovely Tilly looks very like the Dogs Trust logo!

Gremlin 18-09-2012 14:35

2 Attachment(s)
Two more animal photos.

Rascal was a trainee guide dog, Pippa was a pug we had and Hannah was a retired guide dog which my wife had previously trained and they let us have her back.

susie123 18-09-2012 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1017158)
Two more animal photos.

Rascal was a trainee guide dog, Pippa was a pug we had and Hannah was a retired guide dog which my wife had previously trained and they let us have her back.

How lovely! There is a training centre and breeding centre at Leamington Spa and when we lived in nearby Warwick before coming to Lancs in 2007 we often used to see puppy walkers and people out training dogs in the town centre. A heart warming sight.

Gremlin 18-09-2012 16:02

The centre near here is at Bolton.
The one at Leamington Spa is a breeding centre.
A lot of guide dogs are trained and then kept as breeding stock.
They are all homed with people near Leamington Spa, the reason for that is so they can be taken into the centre when they are ready to be mated.

Some of the puppies which are born there are moved on to other training centres such as Bolton. They are usually only six weeks old and go out to the puppy walkers within a day or two after they have been checked over.

The puppy walker has to get the puppy injected a few weeks after, all vet bills are sent direct the GBDA.
The food is free but the puppy walker has to buy the bed and bedding and any bus or train fares they spend during the training. They are expected to take the puppy on the public transport.

susie123 18-09-2012 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1017168)
The centre near here is at Bolton.
The one at Leamington Spa is a breeding centre.
A lot of guide dogs are trained and then kept as breeding stock.
They are all homed with people near Leamington Spa, the reason for that is so they can be taken into the centre when they are ready to be mated.

Some of the puppies which are born there are moved on to other training centres such as Bolton. They are usually only six weeks old and go out to the puppy walkers within a day or two after they have been checked over.

The puppy walker has to get the puppy injected a few weeks after, all vet bills are sent direct the GBDA.
The food is free but the puppy walker has to buy the bed and bedding and any bus or train fares they spend during the training. They are expected to take the puppy on the public transport.

Thanks for that insight, it must give people a great deal of satisfaction to get a little scrap of a puppy to a stage where it can go on to full training. I expect it's quite fun too, though it must be a wrench when you have to let them go.

Gremlin 18-09-2012 17:34

The puppy should be nearly fully trained when it leaves a puppy walker, if the puppy walker just wants it for a pet and doesn't put any effort into the job then there is a chance it will not make the grade when it goes back to the centre.
My wife used to stand by workmen digging holes etc so the puppy got used to noise. Then took it through busy stores or even through the hospital, they always allowed it.
She would ask policemen to talk to the dog and rattle the handcuffs, there is a lot to the job that people don't understand. I couldn't have done it but did try to help. I was working away a lot. My wife had to put up with all the mess and sickness, wash the bedding and mop up. I used to take them to the station and drive to the next one so the puppy could get used to trains.
You are right about letting them go, both of us got a bit tearfull but they kept us informed of its progress. We never knew where they finished up though. The person who got the trained dog would know our address and it was up to them whether they contacted us or not.
Not all did.

Another thing about Leamington Spa, useless information, a boxer called Randolph Turpin lived there before he committed suicide. His family ran a guest house, I stayed there when I had been to A P motor products in the town, a company you will know. It was early 70's last time I went.
Told you it was useless information.

susie123 18-09-2012 18:18

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1017190)
The puppy should be nearly fully trained when it leaves a puppy walker, if the puppy walker just wants it for a pet and doesn't put any effort into the job then there is a chance it will not make the grade when it goes back to the centre.
My wife used to stand by workmen digging holes etc so the puppy got used to noise. Then took it through busy stores or even through the hospital, they always allowed it.
She would ask policemen to talk to the dog and rattle the handcuffs, there is a lot to the job that people don't understand. I couldn't have done it but did try to help. I was working away a lot. My wife had to put up with all the mess and sickness, wash the bedding and mop up. I used to take them to the station and drive to the next one so the puppy could get used to trains.
You are right about letting them go, both of us got a bit tearfull but they kept us informed of its progress. We never knew where they finished up though. The person who got the trained dog would know our address and it was up to them whether they contacted us or not.
Not all did.

Another thing about Leamington Spa, useless information, a boxer called Randolph Turpin lived there before he committed suicide. His family ran a guest house, I stayed there when I had been to A P motor products in the town, a company you will know. It was early 70's last time I went.
Told you it was useless information.

Yes we used to see them in the pub quite a bit, another thing they might have to get used to!

As for Randolph Turpin, I remember him when he was fighting in the 50s although I was only about ten - the name stood out, probably hearing it on the wireless etc. And Sir Henry Cooper unveiled a statue of him in Warwick Market Square, in the 50th anniversary year of his world title win.

Randolph Turpin - Career & Life

Nice picture of it below... takes me back to when I lived there.

Sunflower49 25-09-2012 01:26

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Dog Wink :)

maxthecollie 25-09-2012 16:34

Where's the pic?

Sunflower49 25-09-2012 22:50

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know what I've done there!Will try again, could see it when I first posted it!

Kya winking at me :)

maxthecollie 26-09-2012 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1019297)
I don't know what I've done there!Will try again, could see it when I first posted it!

Kya winking at me :)

What a bonny dog!

Sunflower49 26-09-2012 15:47

Thank you :)
She's challenging though. Think her previous owners gave her zero training!She's much better than she was but still a work in progress :)

DaveinGermany 26-09-2012 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1019407)
Thank you :) She's challenging though. :)

She's a Husky isn't she & not a Malamute ? Definitely plenty of work & exercise, proper headstrong hounds. :)

Stumped 26-09-2012 18:08

http://J:\Photofile\Cats Corner\Alfie and Robbie\2012-6

Sunflower49 26-09-2012 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1019427)
She's a Husky isn't she & not a Malamute ? Definitely plenty of work & exercise, proper headstrong hounds. :)

She's a Northern Inuit. She's VERY headstrong and does not behave at all like a dog, as in what you expect from a dog as a pet-I think this is down to her upbringing though.

She's VERY lazy. I take her on my runs and walks but she doesn't like to go. On my usual, everyday route she knows where we're going and stops and pulls back. I cannot let her off the lead until we're half way around the route, or she will keep going backwards until she's home, without me. I have had her to the vet to see if there is some medical reason she does not like long walks, but she's fine. She has never been walked before so I am putting it down to that.

She does need a lot of cognitive stimulation I've found, she's much better behaved when I spend time training her.

DaveinGermany 26-09-2012 19:26

That's a new one on me, but looking at some info about the breed, they were originally a cross of of the major working dog breeds, so it's a good bet they follows the attitudes of their forebears.

Which normally means lots of running & loads of interaction, they need to be occupied or they tend to become very destructive due to boredom. Have fun Lass, she'll be keeping you on your toes. :)

Sunflower49 26-09-2012 23:39

Yes she's very demanding for attention and quite destructive. I can't help but think if she had had better owners, this could have been curbed though. She jumps up at the worktop looking for food, goes in the bin, knows how to open doors with handles (but not knobs something to do with lack of thumbs I think!) and generally sticks her nose in anything she can find.She also bolts as soon as the door is opened, a lot of the time which is quite dangerous for her and I have managed to train her to stay within the house if I am going somewhere without her, but only when I can keep her attention for long enough. Otherwise I have to be very dominating with her and literally sneak out of the door whilst I can!
I have been training her and you're right-she does seem happier and less boisterous when she's had her brain kept active.
Her hatred of exercise is weird though I agree-just learned behaviour is my only guess. She was a bit overweight but I've got it down.
She is weird in that, dogs I am used to are a loyal animal, eager to please-she isn't like this at all. She ignores your actions and desires and still does what she has in mind, and she doesn't obey, even though she knows what you want her to do-even after time.
Lots of people have commented on how different she is now and that I have done a very good job with her, but as I said, work in progress.
She has her good points. She's lovely natured, never aggressive unless in play, and she's not at all fussy with food. She's also protective. I can 'play fight' with a male friend and she will give her barks and warning growls, and she knows if somebody is being angry with me and kicks off.
A guy once accused me of breaking his car mirror ( I hadn't!) in a car park, I drove off and he came after me down the road. I stopped and got out of the car to see what he had to say and she was in the car going MENTAL barking at him because she knew he was being bad to me, dog's instinct I guess.
And she is beautiful.
Just not at all like any dog I've experienced before!

Studio25 26-09-2012 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1019491)
...Her hatred of exercise is weird though I agree-just learned behaviour is my only guess...

Our little dog hides whenever we get the leads out - and these are two boys from the same litter, so they aren't treated any differently. The big one loves his walk, and goes mad at the sight of his lead...
http://www.dvdreams.co.uk/webcam/_DSF6849.jpg

Sunflower49 26-09-2012 23:55

Aww they are gorgeous!What breed are they?
Lol so I just have a lazy individual, do I?

Studio25 27-09-2012 07:56

Pouchon - poodle and bichon frise.

Yep - it's entirely possible you have a dog that just doesn't care for a walk - before we got these two, I would have assumed dog behaviour is stereotyped, and that any deviation is the result of prior ill treatment (or whatever). Mine are treated no differently but have hugely different likes and wants and personalities.

Sunflower49 27-09-2012 09:51

Am I being cruel by making her come with me do we think? Should I leave her lazing about in the house? Lol

Studio25 27-09-2012 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1019556)
Am I being cruel by making her come with me...

Nope - quite the opposite...

maxthecollie 27-09-2012 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1019556)
Am I being cruel by making her come with me do we think? Should I leave her lazing about in the house? Lol

No. Dogs whatever size need exercise.

kestrelx 27-09-2012 21:56

1 Attachment(s)
This brown rat was a very big thing that came out and stared at me!;)

Sunflower49 28-09-2012 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 1019584)
Nope - quite the opposite...

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1019613)
No. Dogs whatever size need exercise.

Thanks :) she does get excited still at the sight or her lead or when she thinks we're going out, it's just once she's out if she realises we're going for a long walk she decides to protest!
Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1019690)
This brown rat was a very big thing that came out and stared at me!;)

lol where was that?

Sunflower49 28-09-2012 10:32

2 Attachment(s)
Peggy, my Sister's mini labradoodle
Spike, my fat hamster :)(ignore my tatty nails please)!

maxthecollie 28-09-2012 13:58

You don't expect animal lovers to have immaculate nails.

Sunflower49 30-09-2012 21:15

Lol thank you, very true!
My hamster passed away in the early hours of this morning :(
He was very old, was a rescue, I had to feed him with a dropper when I first got him. I like to think I gave him a good life as far as captive hamsters go. I think they're my favourite little animal.

maxthecollie 30-09-2012 21:18

How old is very old. Hamsters only have a short lifespan. We had one it lived for three years and died in my wife's hand.

Sunflower49 30-09-2012 21:24

3 years is good! :)
1000 days so I hear is what they are meant to live up until.
Well he was an unwanted runt of the litter when I got him, had had wet tail thus my having to nurse him, and due to him being a rescue I don't know how old he was-but he wasn't a baby then. I've had him at least two years, and due to ill-health I didn't expect him to last this long.
A few weeks ago I moved him from his large cage, into a normal hamster cage-because he wasn't as agile as he used to be so I was scared of him falling and hurting himself, plus he was sleeping most of the time anyway, I knew he was deteriorating.
That picture was a couple of months ago, though in hamster 'years' I am supposing it may have been compatible to ten years ago!
He was sleeping all day the other day and I checked on him and his breathing had slowed down but he was peaceful.
I put the room warmer and moved food and water closer to him, he woke briefly and I stroked him and he was okay. When I returned from work this morning he was in the same position, but had gone. It's sad but I've rescued so many animals that I'm a bit 'harder' about death-I'm not devastated or anything, he had a long life and I think about how many people treat little animals and feel I did the best I could do :)

kestrelx 01-10-2012 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1019758)

lol where was that?

That was on the banks of a pond down in London! ;)

kestrelx 01-10-2012 18:44

1 Attachment(s)
I found this young grey squirrel on tarmac, must have fallen out of a tree and died. I put it on a shed roof and a crow had it for lunch! ;)

susie123 01-10-2012 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1020447)
I found this young grey squirrel on tarmac, must have fallen out of a tree and died. I put it on a shed roof and a crow had it for lunch! ;)

That's called recycling Kes! When we lived in the country we used to throw dead animals into our little copse - hens, cats, deer carcases (roadkill, after we'd taken the good bits off) for the foxes etc to finish off. We ended up with two nice clean deer skulls with horns after a few months, nailed them on our shed!

kestrelx 01-10-2012 20:19

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1020451)
That's called recycling Kes! When we lived in the country we used to throw dead animals into our little copse - hens, cats, deer carcases (roadkill, after we'd taken the good bits off) for the foxes etc to finish off. We ended up with two nice clean deer skulls with horns after a few months, nailed them on our shed!

Come to think of it Elvis used to eat squirrels -that one was fresh so i could have had it for breakfast never mind the crows! ;)

I suppose you didn't have any chickens when you were throwing out carcasses for the foxes.

susie123 01-10-2012 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1020472)
Come to think of it Elvis used to eat squirrels -that one was fresh so i could have had it for breakfast never mind the crows! ;)

I suppose you didn't have any chickens when you were throwing out carcasses for the foxes.

I've got a squirrel in the freezer at the mo, got it from a farmers' market.

Yes, we had forty chickens at one time - we used to throw any that died over into the copse. Only once had a problem with foxes killing any of our live chickens.

Sunflower49 15-10-2012 17:11

My snowdog :)

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/m...16t-n470vb.jpg
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/m...-2294131-n.jpg

Sorry for quality on mobile phone pic.

Kya in the snow where she belongs(?)

Avatar is my little hamst that died recently.

Gremlin 15-10-2012 18:28

1 Attachment(s)
Another squirrel for you Susie,
Taken at Bridge Heywood when we ran the park.

Sunflower49 16-10-2012 12:04

I am glad the roadkill pictures are gone.

kestrelx 16-10-2012 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1022940)
I am glad the roadkill pictures are gone.

Wimps! :dummy2::D

Sunflower49 16-10-2012 22:27

Lol I began this thread to see nice pictures of animals and pets, not pictures of dead ones that are such because we drive cars!

kestrelx 18-10-2012 20:43

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1023002)
Lol I began this thread to see nice pictures of animals and pets, not pictures of dead ones that are such because we drive cars!

Actually only the fox was hit by a car. The bird I think was the victim of a fox!

Sunflower49 19-10-2012 03:43

Okay, try not pictures of animals that are not alive at the time of the picture being taken (am fine with pictures of people's late pets and such).

Sunflower49 19-10-2012 14:54

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/m...52562062-n.jpg
Katy and I. Katy's a giant French Lop.

maxthecollie 19-10-2012 17:48

1 Attachment(s)
Just one of Max
Attachment 26275

kestrelx 22-10-2012 18:05

2 Attachment(s)
A deer I captured a few moons ago...;)

maxthecollie 22-10-2012 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1023936)
A deer I captured a few moons ago...;)

Nice ones . Where was that? Every time I take my camera up the track past our house the deer never make an appearance.

kestrelx 22-10-2012 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1023978)
Nice ones . Where was that? Every time I take my camera up the track past our house the deer never make an appearance.

Down in Richmond Park. They are not totally wild but roam freely round and you often come across them then they run away.

Where abouts are the deer where you are? They'll be much harder to photograph if they are totally wild.;)

maxthecollie 23-10-2012 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1024001)
Down in Richmond Park. They are not totally wild but roam freely round and you often come across them then they run away.

Where abouts are the deer where you are? They'll be much harder to photograph if they are totally wild.;)

If they are around we usually see the going from our house up the track (which is still Sandy Lane) going towards Higher Brox Farm).We have never seen more than three together. The only shots I have mamaged to get so far is of a white backside as they disappear

DaveinGermany 23-10-2012 09:10

4 Attachment(s)
Here you go, admittedly they were taken a few years ago while visiting Islay, we did the trip across the sounds of Islay to Jura & driving along the "Main" (only) road on Jura, there were Red Deer in abundance.

maxthecollie 23-10-2012 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1024031)
Here you go, admittedly they were taken a few years ago while visiting Islay, we did the trip across the sounds of Islay to Jura & driving along the "Main" (only) road on Jura, there were Red Deer in abundance.

Nice ones Dave, they didn't seem to bother about your car, especially the three together.

DaveinGermany 23-10-2012 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1024034)
Nice ones Dave, they didn't seem to bother about your car, especially the three together.

Absolutely not in the least, :) they're used to daft tourists taking pics, as to the last one, I even got out of the car to take the shot & the beast just ignored me. Think the only time they're really skittish is when it's cull time or they've got young present.

kestrelx 23-10-2012 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1024016)
If they are around we usually see the going from our house up the track (which is still Sandy Lane) going towards Higher Brox Farm).We have never seen more than three together. The only shots I have mamaged to get so far is of a white backside as they disappear

Is there a deer farm around? There are a lot of roads round there and that by-pass which cuts right across? Not sure if there would be many wild deer round there possibly escaped as I never saw deer in the area.

I found this thread posted by someone else who sighted one in Preistly Clough.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ugh-47644.html

maxthecollie 23-10-2012 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1024056)
Is there a deer farm around? There are a lot of roads round there and that by-pass which cuts right across? Not sure if there would be many wild deer round there possibly escaped as I never saw deer in the area.

I found this thread posted by someone else who sighted one in Preistly Clough.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ugh-47644.html

There used to be a deer farm near to Baxenden Golf Course, but the deer were seen before that started.The deer farm seems to be closed now

kestrelx 23-10-2012 12:43

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1024058)
There used to be a deer farm near to Baxenden Golf Course, but the deer were seen before that started.The deer farm seems to be closed now

Wildlife has changed in Accy since 70's when the nearest grey squirrels were round Simonstone and always high up in the trees, now they are on the coppice. So probably wild roe deer have ventured to the area.

DaveinGermany 23-10-2012 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1024071)
Wildlife has changed in Accy since 70's when the nearest grey squirrels were round Simonstone and always high up in the trees, now they are on the coppice. So probably wild roe deer have ventured to the area.

The pictures good but you're mixing your Deer up me old dear ! :D

Think you'll find the beast shown is a Fallow Deer

kestrelx 23-10-2012 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1024073)
The pictures good but you're mixing your Deer up me old dear ! :D

Think you'll find the beast shown is a Fallow Deer

Oh deer? You said on the thread about trout, that you like to play the dumbarse ;) well if you look the photo is labelled "Fallow deer" so you are right but the photo is clearly labelled! :rolleyes:

DaveinGermany 23-10-2012 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1024076)
Oh deer? You said on the thread about trout, that you like to play the dumbarse ;) well if you look the photo is labelled "Fallow deer" so you are right but the photo is clearly labelled! :rolleyes:

My dear Chap, I don't play, I enjoy being, was the quote I think you'll find. :D

Granted & now evidently clear since you've pointed it out Kes, but who reads the small print ? :rolleyes:

kestrelx 27-10-2012 08:26

4 Attachment(s)
Red-eared Terrapins in the park - thrown in by kids fed up of their "mutant ninja turtles!" ;):D

davemac 27-10-2012 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1024966)
Red-eared Terrapins in the park - thrown in by kids fed up of their "mutant ninja turtles!" ;):D

Thats interesting, how do they manage cold spells and iced over water?

kestrelx 27-10-2012 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1025137)
Thats interesting, how do they manage cold spells and iced over water?

In the winter I think they go into the mud at the bottom of the water and hybernate in the mud. Even in the summer they mainly come out on sunny warm days - not grey wet days.

Kamfluelo 04-08-2019 21:35

Animal pictures

It would be great if when viewing an animal profile, you were not taken to the gallery page but rather were given just the pictures for the profile you are viewing much like myspace or facebook. The first time I used the site, i found it frustrating to hit next only to see a different animals picture. If I want to see lots of pictures of different animals Ill use the gallery, if I want to see just one particular animals pictures I would rather just see those.

Just a suggestion.