Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/)
-   -   Which Park? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/which-park-9944.html)

park381 16-04-2005 13:33

Which Park?

10 Attachment(s)
A stroll round the park, as it is now........

WillowTheWhisp 16-04-2005 13:40

Re: Which Park?

It's so depressing to see things in such an awful state.

mez 16-04-2005 13:53

is it rhyddings park? last time i was in there i only went to the new play area with my g/son & that wasn't too bad, at least he got on the swings.

park381 16-04-2005 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mez
is it rhyddings park?

Yes and it is a mess, note the main entrance gates chained up because they are in need of repair. HBC are applying for a £1M Heritage lottery grant, to restore it, or to cover up their neglect over the last 20 or so years.

WillowTheWhisp 16-04-2005 14:05

Let's hope they get it - is that just for Rhyddings Park though? What about all the other parks in the Borough? How come we used to have such terrific amenities and now they are all in ruin? Doesn't bode well for a panopticon.

mez 16-04-2005 14:14

i have a photo of my son , he was bout 4yr old hanging on the water fountain, we'd gone up for the day , it was packed people with picnic's & kids having a great time , mind you that was appox 30yrs ago, when IT WAS A LOVELY PARK, hope they do get the money something does need doing. i was looking at some photos on the accy stanley site , which kipax has taken of gatty park, the flower beds look really lovely, must have a good gardener there . why cant ALL parks be looked after the same.

park381 16-04-2005 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Let's hope they get it - is that just for Rhyddings Park though? What about all the other parks in the Borough? How come we used to have such terrific amenities and now they are all in ruin? Doesn't bode well for a panopticon.

Afraid so willow, HBC did a short presentation at the Oswaldtwistle Area Council meeting. With a little luck HBC may apply for the same grant for other parks in the borough.

park381 16-04-2005 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mez
i was looking at some photos on the accy stanley site , which kipax has taken of gatty park, the flower beds look really lovely, must have a good gardener there .

Oh, there is a gardener works full time in rhyddings park,she works hard, and takes pride in her work, does plant flowers etc, and keep the grass cut, and picks up all the cans, bottles, etc that the yobs leave each night. If HBC do get the grant, then lets hope that when all the work is completed people have some respect for it.

PurpleLass 16-04-2005 14:29

It all started going downhill when they closed the shop and stopped having park attendants walking around it all the time. They ran the little 'shop' area where you could hire equipment to play tennis, bowls, putting, table tennis etc, buy sweets and stuff, but most importantly they patrolled the park so that they could keep their eye on any potential trouble.

park381 16-04-2005 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleLass
It all started going downhill when they closed the shop and stopped having park attendants walking around it all the time.

Would be about the same time as **** set fire to it, as they did with the bandstand. The attendants think they went with the budget cuts.

mez 16-04-2005 14:36

as i said i just went to the swings etc then beat a retreat home (tired toddler syndrome) so i didn't get chance to have a good look round, glad that they are keeping the gardens nice there as well, o i wish kids had the same respect as what the youngsters of my day had.

PurpleLass 16-04-2005 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by park381
Would be about the same time as **** set fire to it, as they did with the bandstand. The attendants think they went with the budget cuts.

Hate to disagree, but it was closed long before it was burnt down. It was burnt down because there was no one looking after it. Bandstand was burnt down long after that.

park381 16-04-2005 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleLass
Hate to disagree, but it was closed long before it was burnt down. It was burnt down because there was no one looking after it. Bandstand was burnt down long after that.

Ok, take your word for it, have only lived round here for 27years, and as you grow older, the memory starts to fail :)

Madhatter 28-03-2006 19:46

Having visited a few parks in Lancashire with my ex gf, I'm not at all impressed. You have what once were the best parks I'd seen, I can sort of imagine them all clean, neat tidy, well looked after with nice park features, I can look at them now and see it. But in reality they're terrible and if somethings not done, you'll lose what is left.
They, the councils act like nobody uses the parks, but whenever I've been in them I've seen lots of people, even in winter.
I know it's out of your area but bacup park with it's fairy dell and cascading stream with waterfalls is falling apart, even though just across the park is the park gardens nursery.

park381 28-03-2006 19:52

Totally agree with you, but at least in Ossy we have the "Friends of Rhyddings Park" who are making good progress in to restoring what was a great park.