Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos > User Photos
Donate! Join Today

User Photos Got any interesting pictures? If you want to share them with us then post them here. Holidays, friends, whatever...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2004, 07:27   #1
Resting in Peace

Come on lettie

Well lettie you have been back of your hols for a month now so how about you showing use some of those pics you have taken on your travels
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2004, 09:40   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
They're all really boring Mick. The photos from the digicam have come out really well. Took my memory card into Lloyds and had them developed, but they are all views and stuff. I'll try to put some on in the next couple of days.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:53   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Mick, I've managed to put some of the photos onto my computer, but have no idea how to get them on the site. Everytime I've tried I get a message on my screen saying that the file is too large. Above 100 kb. Sick of messing with it now. (The piccies look ok on my screen though)
Old 09-01-2004, 03:03   #4
Roy
Administrator

hi lettie. the system wont accept images that are straight from the digital camera as they are to big. For the internet pictures should be reduced in size so that they load quicker. I'm sure the software that your camera came with will have options to convert the pictures to a smaller size, but make sure you back up your originals as you don't want to lose them if you make a mistake! If someone knows of some simple software that you can download for free and converts images so they can be easily published to the web please let us know, and I will make it downloadable from here and do a guide...
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:45   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Thanks Roy, I'll have a look through the software. Haven't had time to mess with it properly since I got it. Have had my memory card developed, so it won't matter if I lose a few.
Old 31-01-2004, 14:47   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
If someone knows of some simple software that you can download for free and converts images so they can be easily published to the web please let us know, and I will make it downloadable from here and do a guide...
Try this Roy http://www.irfanview.com/
this is the download link http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:06   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Re: Come on lettie

Hong Kong...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4a.jpg (48.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 5a.jpg (51.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 7a.jpg (56.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 33a.jpg (16.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 34a.jpg (30.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 39a.jpg (50.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 42a.jpg (57.8 KB, 62 views)

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 03-05-2004, 12:31   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

The first image was taken when I was on a sampan on the river in Aberdeen. Directly in front of me is the Jumbo Palace floating restaurant. Many people still live on junks and sampans here, rarely setting foot on dry land. In the first 2 photos you can see large blocks of flats, which are the government housing, they look pretty grim.

Photos 3 and 7 are of Hong Kong Park, this is an artificially made oasis crammed amongst the gravity defying buildings. Definately well worth a visit. There's an aviary, and a massive conservatory housing native bamboos and loads of flashy looking plants. Outside in the park, there are various pools and waterfalls, the pools contain coy carp and plenty of turtles. There is a bonsai collection in the Tai Chi garden and the whole place is really tranquil considering you are in the middle of the city. Photo 6 was taken from the observation tower in the park, it puts into perspective the fact that the city is all around you.

Photo 5 was taken from the top of the 552m high Victoria Peak. You cannot visit HK without taking a trip up here. I went up on the tram, which was constructed in 1888, and is quite a feat of engineering. If you go up on the tram, sit on the right, as you get the best views of the city that way, although you may be a bit queasy if you don't like heights, one section of the tram ride is pretty much vertical. It was a misty day when I went up, but looking through the tall buildings, you can see the Kowloon district across the water. Photo 4 was taken from the top of Vic Peak looking south and shows the town of Stanley. Stanley has a brilliant outdoor market and easily reachable by bus from the top of Vic Peak. The ride to Stanley is quite an experience, the road coming down the peak is steep and bendy, great views though, well worth the nausea..

Loved Hong Kong, to say that I went on my todd, I never once felt unsafe. The people are friendly and polite, the transport systems cheap and efficient, it's dead easy to get around. Three days here was definately not enough.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 03-05-2004, 16:23   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Aotearoa, the land of the long white cloud, known to us as New Zealand. I started off in Auckland, but didn't really spend much time there. I'm not a city dweller, and after Hong Kong wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle. There's no better place to do that than New Zealand. Seeing as I started in Auckland, here's a couple of views of the city. One of them was taken from Mission Bay, showing the Sky Tower, the other was taken looking over from Devonport and to the far right of this photo, you may just be able to make out the harbour bridge. The weather was a little erratic at times, as you will see by the clouds. Although it was quite warm, it was spring over there and short, heavy bursts of rainfall were quite a feature of this holiday. Good job I never let a bit of rain bother me..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auckland2.jpg (76.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 14a.jpg (35.5 KB, 49 views)

Old 03-05-2004, 17:47   #10
Senior Member+

Nice pics lettie, looks like an interesting place to go for an holiday, but it wont be in this liftime for me unless i win the lottery.
Old 03-05-2004, 18:34   #11
Filthy / Gorgeous

After a brief spell in Auckland to get over the jet lag at my step brothers, I hired myself a little car and beggared off for a while on my own. The first place I went to was Rotorua. The Kiwis call Rotorua 'Rotovegas' a popular destination for stag and hen do's. I didn't let that put me off, and am so glad. Rotorua is at the heart of the volcanic plateau, and is thermally very active. Pools of bubbling mud, geysers and boiling sulphurous pools are all to be found in this district. The whole place smells of hydrogen sulphide gas (rotten eggs) and you can smell it on your clothes long after you've left (even after washing them). I thought it was wonderful. You're never short of something to do in Rotorua, lots of outdoor activities here bungy jumping, zorbing, jet boating, windsurfing, kayaking and the list goes on. I took these pictures in the Maori village of Whakarewarewa, the best place to view the geysers. It was a rainy day and there's steam everywhere, it was even coming up from the gutters on the main road. In the 2nd piccy is the dormant Pohutu geyser, and the 3rd Pic it's in full flow, with the smaller Prince of Wales Feathers geyser going off at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17a.jpg (56.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 18a.jpg (28.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20a.jpg (20.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 19a.jpg (30.7 KB, 65 views)

Old 03-05-2004, 20:11   #12
Filthy / Gorgeous

About 15k from Rotorua is the village of Te Wairoa, let me set the scene. In the 19th century, this was a village that housed many visitors. People came from all over the world to view the famous pink and white terraces. The pink and white terraces were a natural phenomenon made of silica deposits, they were often depicted as the 8th wonder of the world. On 10th June 1886, Mount Tarawera (previously thought to be extinct), erupted with such ferocity that it left a 6km long 250m deep crater in the top of the mountain. Lake Rotomahana, beneath the mountain exploded with a noise heard as far away as Auckland and Christchurch (Auckland is 3 hours drive away). Rescuers arrived from Rotorua the day after finding scenes of total devastation. 3 villages, Te Wairoa, Moura and Te Ariki were buried under 20ft of mud and volcanic debris. The eruption killed 153 people, and completely obliterated the pink and white terraces. In 1936 excavations began and the village of Te Wairoa can now be seen again. There is a small visitor centre and museum which tells the story of the terraces and the eruption. This place is well worth a visit. The Maori guide will also seranade you on his guitar while you look round the gift shop. He had a lovely voice and did a fabulous acoustic version of Pokarekare ana. It was the best version of this song I've heard (and you cannot have a day in NZ without hearing this song, it's everywhere) Here are some pics of excavated Te Wairoa featuring the storehouse, barmans house, flourmill, blacksmiths, Maori whare (house) and the lovely scenery and waterfall in the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12a.jpg (43.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 14a.jpg (46.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 15a.jpg (58.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 16a.jpg (59.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 17a.jpg (46.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 9a.jpg (82.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 10a.jpg (70.9 KB, 65 views)

Old 03-05-2004, 21:32   #13
Len
God Member

Hi lettie.
Looks like you've been very busy. All interesting stuff.
Thanks.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:56   #14
mez
God Member

oo lettie how very interesting it is to finally see the piccies & the narration to go with them is wonderful, how have you remembered all this //
Old 04-05-2004, 15:12   #15
Filthy / Gorgeous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
oo lettie how very interesting it is to finally see the piccies & the narration to go with them is wonderful, how have you remembered all this //
Mez, the people in this area are wonderful story tellers, the Maori guide at Te Wairoa was brilliant and theres so many information leaflets about this event and they're all free. The local Maori here, fully expect Mt Tarawera to erupt again and don't mind telling you that it could be any time. I drove back to my motel that day, had a meal on the way back and fell into bed. I'd just gone over to sleep when I heard the most horrendous explosion, shot out of bed thinking 'that bloody volcano!' to find it was a very powerful thunderstorm. My stepbrother reckoned they had had it in Auckland earlier that day, but it was a humdinger.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..