Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos > User Photos
Donate! Join Today

User Photos Got any interesting pictures? If you want to share them with us then post them here. Holidays, friends, whatever...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2008, 17:50   #16
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Photo Competition 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
I prefer to vote when uploads have closed...... its not fair to vote for someones pic then change your mind
Why not? When you vote, you vote on which is the best at that time.

Then if something better comes along you get the opportunity to change your mind.

Maybe the rules should be changed slightly?

Remove the ability to change your vote or better still do not allow voting to start until after posting is closed AND remove the ability to change your mind.

As it is now a person can vote and that then shows them how many votes each photo has received. Thus it gives you the chance to vote again for your friend if their vote total is less than the current leader.

What if your friend has two pictures in the gallery and because it is your friend you want to vote for one of their pictures. But which one? So you vote for picture “A” and then find out that picture “B” has the same number of votes as someone else’s picture who is the current leader. So you cancel your vote and put it for picture “B” and your friend wins.

Of course no one would ever do that. Would they? Yeh! Right!
Old 27-09-2008, 17:56   #17
Beacon of light

Re: Photo Competition 52

Well, you might do that but I wouldn't.
I vote for the picture that I like the most...regardless of who posted it.......and I haven't ever changed my vote.
After all it isn't as if there is a huge prize at stake.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 17:56   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Why not? When you vote, you vote on which is the best at that time.

Then if something better comes along you get the opportunity to change your mind.

Maybe the rules should be changed slightly?

Remove the ability to change your vote or better still do not allow voting to start until after posting is closed AND remove the ability to change your mind.

As it is now a person can vote and that then shows them how many votes each photo has received. Thus it gives you the chance to vote again for your friend if their vote total is less than the current leader.

What if your friend has two pictures in the gallery and because it is your friend you want to vote for one of their pictures. But which one? So you vote for picture “A” and then find out that picture “B” has the same number of votes as someone else’s picture who is the current leader. So you cancel your vote and put it for picture “B” and your friend wins.

Of course no one would ever do that. Would they? Yeh! Right!
Is there actually anything on this forum that you are happy with ?
Old 27-09-2008, 17:59   #19
Beacon of light

Jambutty, it seems as if everything is a 'war' to you......you take something which is supposed to be for fun and turn it into something else....and not only that you infer that we all operate in devious ways.
it is time you saw someone about your paranoia.
Old 27-09-2008, 18:18   #20
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Photo Competition 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jambutty, it seems as if everything is a 'war' to you......you take something which is supposed to be for fun and turn it into something else....and not only that you infer that we all operate in devious ways.
it is time you saw someone about your paranoia.
If you think that highlighting an anomaly in the rules is starting a war then I am lost for words.

One thing that I do know is people. And one thing that I do know about people is that given the opportunity people WILL take a pecuniary advantage over their fellow man/woman and then swear black and blue that “it wasn’t me guv. I don’t do that sort of thing.”

I’m not suggesting that any one particular person does rig the voting. But I am saying that it is possible and people being people there are bound to be some who do. So close the loophole.

Ah! Yet another psychological report from a self proclaimed shrink.
Old 27-09-2008, 18:31   #21
Beacon of light

Jambutty, you are never lost for words, as the above post proves.
And as far as pointing out flaws in the rules...if you think the rules are flawed then you can locate a moderator and put it to them,(for the consideration of perhaps being changed) and also, if you think the rules are flawed...you need not enter the competition.
I don't particularly like the aspersions you cast over the members of this forum...we aren't all the same......you may not like some of us, but there is no need to lump us all in the same category.
Old 27-09-2008, 18:39   #22
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jambutty, you are never lost for words, as the above post proves.
And as far as pointing out flaws in the rules...if you think the rules are flawed then you can locate a moderator and put it to them,(for the consideration of perhaps being changed) and also, if you think the rules are flawed...you need not enter the competition.
I don't particularly like the aspersions you cast over the members of this forum...we aren't all the same......you may not like some of us, but there is no need to lump us all in the same category.
Spot on Margaret, JB is allowed to cast aspersions on us, thinks we are going to flout the rules! He can insult peoples intelligence, and ethics, doesn't just post his opinions, but carries on and on ad infinitum about why he is right and everyone else is wrong..

JB... when I came back to this forum, not long ago, I actually thought people may have been picking on you a little, but having read through your endless diatribe, I'm beginning to see it for what it is. Quite honestly I see YOU as the bully.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 20:00   #23
God Member

What a load of rubbish to infer that we all vote for our friends photos. I always have and always will vote for the photo that I like best. As for changing my vote so a friend of mine will win, not a chance. It is a bit of fun!!!
Old 27-09-2008, 20:27   #24
Resting in Peace

Ahem ... here goes ...

I do understand where Jambutty is coming from and agree with every word he has said so far. The only problem is that it is just fun and not worthy of such eloquent criticisms. There are instances sure where people vote for friends, but this competition is mainly what floats your boat and how you relate to it ... not technical at all. Who at the end is going to win Hyndburn Honeys or the Baby Competition ? .. probably those with the biggest families !
Don't think this always applies to our little friendly competition though. Well, I haven't got a large family or many friends .. LOL ... and won it 3 times !!

I do not vote until the entry deadline, because I am lazy and could not be bothered changing a previous vote.. If it were a National Competition, then you would not be able to vote until all competitors have uploaded their entries. (You have heard the buzz .. "Lines have not opened, so do not vote yet") The fairest way would be to do this and no facility for amending your vote .. however, not sure if the programme has this facility.

Well, at least it is getting our attention and may lift it from a down turn of interest. So come on folks, upload now, whether we vote with our heads or hearts gives us an entertainment over a couple of weeks.

By the way, haven't got around to taking my 'After Dark' pictures as yet, but have a couple of ideas ... so hold yer vote for now ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 20:32   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
By the way, haven't got around to taking my 'After Dark' pictures as yet, but have a couple of ideas ... so hold yer vote for now ...

No touting please
Old 27-09-2008, 20:37   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
No touting please
Nothing in the rules that say you can't, is there ?
Old 27-09-2008, 20:39   #27
God Member

Jambutty, I wonder if you're perhaps taking things a little too seriously and assuming that we're all friends beyond this board. Yes, a few of us know each other but not enough to cheat in somthing that is just for fun.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 20:40   #28
God Member

Quote:

Awaits Mick's reply.... cos there might be soon lol
Old 27-09-2008, 20:43   #29
God Member

Quote:
Well if there isn't then it's about time the government got to grips with the situation.
Old 27-09-2008, 20:47   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass27 View Post
Awaits Mick's reply.... cos there might be soon lol
Don't you start madam !! ... nah, all this will be going over Mick's head I expect, unless he thinks 'tis serious enough to amend ... notice last sucking up sentence.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..