Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos > User Photos
Donate! Join Today

User Photos Got any interesting pictures? If you want to share them with us then post them here. Holidays, friends, whatever...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2010, 17:55   #1
Resting in Peace

Where were these taken ?

My grandfather was a member of the Accrington Camera Club. Lots of his pictures, unfortunately, were destroyed when he died. We still have a few, but they were not labelled. Anyone any ideas ? Suspect Ribble Valley somewhere like that .. certainly not far away .. no cars then. About 1910.

Floyd 1.jpg 1.

Floyd 2.jpg 2.

Floyd 3.jpg 3.

Floyd 4.jpg 4.

Floyd 5.jpg 5.

Floyd 6.jpg 6.

Floyd 7.jpg 7.

Floyd 8.jpg 8.

Floyd 9.jpg 9.

Floyd 10.jpg 10.

Bad news is .. I have not a clue !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2010, 17:57   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Where were these taken ?

Another 2 ... had reached my maximum of 10 uploads:

Floyd 11.jpg 11.

Floyd 12.jpg 12.
Old 19-02-2010, 18:35   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

some good owd pics yon kate, 5 on first n 2 on second seem familiar but like you, age has knackered me.
Old 19-02-2010, 18:42   #4
Senior Member+

I think that number 12 is of the road between Clitheroe and Hurst Green. It's a shot of the road bridge over the Hodder with the old Cromwell bridge in front. To the right is the way to Mitton and Whalley and left to Hurst Green and Stoneyhurst School
I used the road a lot up to two years ago, it's the B 6243

Gremlin R.T.

I think number 1 is the shelter just before the left hand bend before the Shireburn Arms in Hurst Green heading to Longridge.

Last edited by Gremlin; 19-02-2010 at 18:47. Reason: Just had a second thought
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 18:44   #5
Senior Member+

Apart from No 8, in which the hill seems high for the Ribble or the Hodder, I think they could well be these valleys. In September I published a book of photos taken c1900-10 by Blackburn photographers JW & A Shaw. It is called 'By Rivers,through valleys & dales' and the pics were taken Ingleton-Settle-Skipton-Clitheroe-Whalley-Ribchester and the townships between. These 12 photos could have slotted into the book nicely. Sopmebody will recognise the churches and the buildings if not the bends in the river.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 18:54   #6
God Member

think number1 could be Waddington , seem to remember a stream ran through the middle of the village
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:17   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
think number1 could be Waddington , seem to remember a stream ran through the middle of the village
You are probably more right than me Steeljack now I have had a second look. I went through Waddington two weeks ago on my way to Lancaster via the Trough or Bowland but it has changed since the picture was taken.

Gremlin R.T.

ps, I hope to be meeting JB in a couple of weeks, your regards will be passed.
Old 19-02-2010, 19:52   #8

I wondered if No ! was Gargrave opposite the cafe where the bus stop/shelter is
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:56   #9

No 12 is I think The Parish Church of St Helen, Waddington, have a look at
The Parish Church of St Helen, Waddington:: OS grid SD7243 :: Geograph British Isles - photograph every grid square!
Old 19-02-2010, 19:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I think that number 12 is of the road between Clitheroe and Hurst Green. It's a shot of the road bridge over the Hodder with the old Cromwell bridge in front. To the right is the way to Mitton and Whalley and left to Hurst Green and Stoneyhurst School

Gremlin R.T.

I think number 1 is the shelter just before the left hand bend before the Shireburn Arms in Hurst Green heading to Longridge.
I agree, here's a photo of the bridge

Comwell's Bridge:: OS grid SD7039 :: Geograph British Isles - photograph every grid square!
Old 20-02-2010, 19:32   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
That's it Bob, taken from the main road bridge up stream.
The old bridge was restored (almost) a few years ago to how you see it now. I think the middle section had fallen into the river.

Gremlin R.T.
Old 20-02-2010, 19:42   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:

Gremlin R.T.

Oops, I meant picture 11, number 12 is a Church not a bridge.
Sorry.
Old 20-02-2010, 23:22   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Sopmebody will recognise the churches and the buildings if not the bends in the river.
Agree Bob .. think the river views will be difficult to specify. Will just have to label them 'bends in a river in Lancashire somewhere' ...
Old 20-02-2010, 23:31   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Certainly the corner of the building behind reflects the architecture of Hurst Green, and think could be on the correct trail. Do you think the shelter is some sort of drinking fountain/shrine type thing ?

Thanks very much fellas.. you have definitely cracked 11 and 12.

The church in No.2 is doing me 'ed in .. very distinctive, albeit the Ivy may not be there anymore .. think I have googled every church in the Ribble Valley today ..

No. 7 looks like there is some sort of mill in the 'photo ?
Old 20-02-2010, 23:45   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Do you think the shelter is some sort of drinking fountain/shrine type thing ?
I could tell you what it is used for but had better not

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..