Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 18:01   #211
God Member

Re: Bet Bagpuss is legless this afternoon

Seems Fergie had quite a night. Tried to stop a balloon from getting on the pitch and then missed the bus home

Old 06-05-2009, 19:59   #212
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Seems Fergie had quite a night. Tried to stop a balloon from getting on the pitch and then missed the bus home
PMSL that cheered me up after the return of JB.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 22:47   #213
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Bet Bagpuss is legless this afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
It was not a penalty and we all know it and now the ref also knows it. I have always been against video replay but with the speed of the game today plus all of the "diving", I,m changing my thoughts. There are cameras from almost every angle in the big games and an official would be able to determine in seconds just what happened and relay it to the ref. It happens in most other professional team sports so why not football. I know that every game couldn,t be covered but it should start somewhere and maybe eventually work down to the lower divisions.
We are all so clever with the benefit of hindsight and multiple video replays but you are ignoring the simple fact that a ref can only make a judgement on what he sees or the assistant referee makes him aware of.

You are also ignoring the handful of whatshisname’s shirt that Fletcher had hold of pulling the Arsenal player back. That alone was worthy of a penalty so what followed is completely irrelevant.

By the way, if you haven’t guessed already, I’m a Man U fan.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:59   #214
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
We are all so clever with the benefit of hindsight and multiple video replays but you are ignoring the simple fact that a ref can only make a judgement on what he sees or the assistant referee makes him aware of.

You are also ignoring the handful of whatshisname’s shirt that Fletcher had hold of pulling the Arsenal player back. That alone was worthy of a penalty so what followed is completely irrelevant.

By the way, if you haven’t guessed already, I’m a Man U fan.
Of course you are you JB, don't live in Manchester
Old 07-05-2009, 11:50   #215
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Bet Bagpuss is legless this afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I have been a fan of Manchester United ever since I saw the Busby Babes in action all those years ago. That was before Football League matches were live on TV. In other words I was on the Old Trafford terraces whenever leave from the Royal Navy coincided with Man U playing at home, until family commitments didn’t justify the expense involved in attending Old Trafford.

I also have a soft spot for Accrington Stanley and attend the occasional home match, yet I live in Darwen now and Blackburn before. Does that mean that I should not go and watch Stanley because I don’t live in Accrington?

I have searched high and low to find some rule or law that states a person must support the football team of the town where he lives. I have found no such edict.

So what is your infantile point?

Oh! I get it! You were trying to be ‘clever’ and failed miserably.

Commiserations to Chelsea. Losing the tie in the last few seconds is hard to take.

So once again it is up to Manchester United to fly the flag for England in Europe.

Good luck to both teams in the final and let’s hope that regardless of the result, the real winner will be football.
Old 07-05-2009, 13:22   #216
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
was completely missed, "Saddam" had a better sense of humour.
Old 07-05-2009, 16:28   #217
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was completely missed, "Saddam" had a better sense of humour.
Ya and they bloody well hanged him cashy
Old 08-05-2009, 02:27   #218
God Member

Quote:
And you live in Blackburn?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:12   #219
God Member

I was born in Manchester, but havnt lived there since I was a youngster, I have always been a Man U fan, but find I have to justify it by stating that I was born there, it shouldnt really matter, it is still (just about) a free country, I show interest in all the local teams though, because I like football, and like all the local teams to do well, by local, I mean North west teams, in Europe, I would always prefer the English teams to prosper, whether it is United or not.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:45   #220
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
And you live in Blackburn?
There ain't a football league club in Oswaldtwistle, and no in Accrington for many years
Old 08-05-2009, 10:51   #221
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I was born in Manchester, but havnt lived there since I was a youngster, I have always been a Man U fan, but find I have to justify it by stating that I was born there, it shouldnt really matter, it is still (just about) a free country, I show interest in all the local teams though, because I like football, and like all the local teams to do well, by local, I mean North west teams, in Europe, I would always prefer the English teams to prosper, whether it is United or not.
I agree with you on teams in Europe Derek, on Tuesday I was supporting United as I always do, I wanted Chelski to beat Barca then United could stick it up um again this time in Rome, I like all English teams to do well in Europe but if a Lancs team are against another English club its the Lancs team first, I'll also be supporting Preston tonight and that other famous Lancashire side Reading tomorrow (geography was not my strong subject at school)
Old 08-05-2009, 14:19   #222
Accy Red

I've supported so many clubs this season i've lost count, this week I was an Arsenal fan, this weekend I'm Man City, I'm an out and out ABU (anyone but utd) and proud of it, unfortunatly my teams keep losing except Liverpool of course.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 08-05-2009, 14:25   #223
Accy Red

I found this picture and thought I'd share it because everytime I see it, it reminds me of Jam Butty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slug2.jpg (11.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 08-05-2009, 18:15   #224
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I've supported so many clubs this season i've lost count, this week I was an Arsenal fan, this weekend I'm Man City, I'm an out and out ABU (anyone but utd) and proud of it, unfortunatly my teams keep losing except Liverpool of course.
Thats funny Bagpuss, I support 23 teams in the championship
Old 08-05-2009, 21:49   #225
Super Moderator

The Wynonie Harris rule of football supporting applies here...

1) Everyone who lives in Accrington and district is required to support their hometown club (although certain dispensations may be available to those who adopt Stanley as their second club).

2) Everyone who lives in other towns is not bound to support their hometown club, but may instead support Stanley.

Got that? Good!

Tags
karma kids

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..