Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 00:06   #1
God Member

England Provisional World Cup squad

No place for Rovers keeper Robinson which is a surprise to me .. I reckon he's as good as Green.
England's 30-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham).
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).
Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Scott Parker (West Ham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).
Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

On what basis is Heskey included as a striker? Charlton Cole or even Bobby Zamorra do a better job and score goals.
No place for Neville or Brown although United have had a good defence when they have played.
Scott Parker and Matthew Upson get in from West Ham from a team that finished bottom five in the Prem!. 3 West ham players in the squad?.

Last edited by Mancie; 12-05-2010 at 00:15.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2010, 00:28   #2
God Member

Re: England Provisional World Cup squad

Another thought.. Michael Dawson and Ledley King ship four goals at Burnley all all places and they could be our defence in a World Cup ..behave
Old 12-05-2010, 06:48   #3
Senior Member+

As you say Mancie - Nearly got another warning then. No Wes Brown - the best utility defender of all, Rt Back or Central.
Heskey - a player of his size with size 6 boots - no wonder he falls over so often and even young Rafael was able to bully him.
King - can't train fully, plays alternate matches - a World Cup defender, I don't think so.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:18   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
As you say Mancie - Nearly got another warning then. No Wes Brown - the best utility defender of all, Rt Back or Central.
Heskey - a player of his size with size 6 boots - no wonder he falls over so often and even young Rafael was able to bully him.
King - can't train fully, plays alternate matches - a World Cup defender, I don't think so.
No way should Heskey get a squeak.. like you say Barrie.. Ledley King is a risk because of injury and not training.. but then he is a good defender and gets his head in going up for corners
Old 12-05-2010, 08:26   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Heskey is a joke when yer talking world cup strikers, do not understand that at all, Symes is more prolific.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:32   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Heskey is a joke when yer talking world cup strikers, do not understand that at all, Symes is more prolific.
talking of strikers we don't look to strong.. Crouch has a good record but take out Rooney and our strike force looks weak for World cup winning team.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:53   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
talking of strikers we don't look to strong.. Crouch has a good record but take out Rooney and our strike force looks weak for World cup winning team.
i don't need convincing about that.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:17   #8

what really bothers me is peter crouch..not on his ability but how the foreign referees always seem to give fouls against hin when he wins headers..we cant be giving possesion away every time he wins the ball.
would also have liked to see ashley young included..
Old 12-05-2010, 10:23   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishton blue View Post
what really bothers me is peter crouch..not on his ability but how the foreign referees always seem to give fouls against hin when he wins headers..we cant be giving possesion away every time he wins the ball.
would also have liked to see ashley young included..
Yep should be a place for Ashley Cole.. he can play on the left always looks to run at the opposition and has a good shot...rather have him than Upson
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29   #10

i was thinking more of young coming on late in games and being told to go at them.but then capello probably thinks walcott and lennon can do that.i just think there is more end product from young...
Old 12-05-2010, 10:42   #11
Resting in Peace

Heskey's a waste of space, think Brown should be in and Robinson is just as good as green if not better, he's had quite a few clean sheets this season
Old 12-05-2010, 11:26   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishton blue View Post
i was thinking more of young coming on late in games and being told to go at them.but then capello probably thinks walcott and lennon can do that.i just think there is more end product from young...
I was thinking of Ashley Young.. I would not make a good manager.. so I'll shut up for a while
Old 12-05-2010, 11:32   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Heskey's a waste of space, think Brown should be in and Robinson is just as good as green if not better, he's had quite a few clean sheets this season
Robinson is as good if not better than Green.. James is the best keeper but we all know he can be dodgy.. all said we have no decent goalkeeper.. no brilliant midfield.. no attack.... oh god it's all gone tits up!
PS (and when the Tories take over the players will be kitted out with plastic boots from Asda)

Last edited by Mancie; 12-05-2010 at 11:34.
Old 12-05-2010, 15:05   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Robinson is as good if not better than Green.. James is the best keeper but we all know he can be dodgy.. all said we have no decent goalkeeper.. no brilliant midfield.. no attack.... oh god it's all gone tits up!
PS (and when the Tories take over the players will be kitted out with plastic boots from Asda)
Its not the boots that make the player
Old 12-05-2010, 15:08   #15
Resting in Peace

Things are going belly up, JT has his leg in plaster after a training ground accident, must be is metatarsal, as I write is just come on Sky Sports that JTs metatarsal is causing concern

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..