Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 11:06   #31
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Mancie's Thread - The Road to the Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Wanna bet? You can't help yourself,
M'lud, the evidence below is clearly presented for your verification!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I heard Liverpool had got rid of most of its rubbish and dumped it on Old Trafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
A bit more class than the team you support
Tah-Da !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
- or DinG was absolutely spot on with his forecast that Jay would do a U-turn and be back on this thread with his rabid ramblings
Now, if only I could be so accurate with the lottery numbers!
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 12-08-2013, 13:47   #32
God Member

Quote:
Don't your top Ice Hockey teams play in a foreign league? Seem to remember that the salaries in American sport are far higher than in the English Football Leagues
Of course Canadian teams play in the NHL ... and the yanks have done all they can to turn that league from "sport" to "investment opportunity" ... but that's the yanks. We expect it of them. But what is important about hockey is that there is a lot of effort put into minor hockey. That's why our national team is always competitive .... unlike, say, England in football. And the NHL has a salary cap and a draft system for bringing young players into the league ... it's not the same few teams (the ones with the big bucks) that win every year. And the most valuable franchise in the league is that of the Toronto Maple Leafs, one of the least successful collection of stumble bums ever to lace up skates ... can't quite figure that one out. I don't think that there is any sport left in US "sport" ... folks are more interested in what the overpaid clowns do off the field (or ice, or court) than they do on it. A lot like the Premier League.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 17:24   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I don't think that there is any sport left in US "sport" ...
But Canadian teams play in the US leagues - I suppose they are mercenaries looking for the big bucks
Old 12-08-2013, 17:27   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
M'lud, the evidence below is clearly presented for your verification!

Tah-Da !!!!

Now, if only I could be so accurate with the lottery numbers!
Nice one DinG, but I think we all knew that he couldn't keep to his word about that, he has got to have somewhere to vent his spleen
Old 12-08-2013, 17:33   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The community shield???? Both sides were sod all special.
Agreed, but they were there
Old 13-08-2013, 02:30   #36
God Member

Quote:
But Canadian teams play in the US leagues - I suppose they are mercenaries looking for the big bucks
But Canadian teams are Canadian owned, and they field teams dominated by Canadian players. Look at the rosters of the "English" Premier League. What is it .... about 30 per cent English players? The Germans seem to be getting it right ... teams in the Bundesliga are full of talented German players. Ok, Bayern have Robben and Ribbery, but the rest of them are mostly krauts. That's why they have such a strong national team. It's the same in Italy ... probably 60 per cent of the players in Serie A are Italian. The Premier League is not helping English football ... in fact, it is probably hurting it. Let's face it, you are no longer a major power in your national sport. Famous teams are English in name only. And until talented young English players are given a chance to participate at the highest level your national team will remain an embarassing also ran.

Last year Canadian teams sucked in the Stanley Cup (mmm, that has a nice ring to it), and the trophy went to the Chicago Blackhawks. Yet, half the guys, including the captain and the two assistant captains, who suited up for the Hawks were Canadian.
cashman and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 15-08-2013, 18:09   #37
JFT96

Its nice to see nothing has changed,
BBC Sport - Man Utd: David Moyes criticises Premier League fixture list

Looks like Red noses apprentice has got his excuses in early. 'Hardest start for 20 years...' and "I hope it's not because Manchester United won the league quite comfortably last year [that] the fixtures have been made much more difficult."

Wow if Rodgers said that he would be ridiculed by the plastic army. Cue Barry....

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 21:49   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Its nice to see nothing has changed,
BBC Sport - Man Utd: David Moyes criticises Premier League fixture list

Looks like Red noses apprentice has got his excuses in early. 'Hardest start for 20 years...' and "I hope it's not because Manchester United won the league quite comfortably last year [that] the fixtures have been made much more difficult."

Wow if Rodgers said that he would be ridiculed by the plastic army. Cue Barry....
I think it was a stupid comment - but then again, if you don't believe in coincidence you could well think it was a conspiracy
Old 17-08-2013, 18:08   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well just to brass most people off Scum are top of Premier after only 71 mins of the season.
Old 17-08-2013, 18:13   #40
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Well just to brass most people off Scum are top of Premier after only 71 mins of the season.
Only on goal difference, the pool are up there too,
Old 17-08-2013, 21:14   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Only on goal difference, the pool are up there too,
Now DinG, we all knew that for Jay to maintain his alleged absence from this thread he would have his Sancho post bigoted remarks.

Good result for you DinG, but thought you may have lost it right at the death.

A cracking result for La Crème, but that worries me - we don't normally win the opening game, but we still need a mid-field player. Swansea are going to give a few teams a real game this season.

Same old story for the Deadwood gang - crap, they could probably lose against Stanley. Must be galling to see Burnley in the top two when your team is in the bottom three.

Looks as though it could be a yo-yo season for Stanley, let us hope they can really put it together soon and look forward to playing the Deadwood gang next season

Let's see what the rest of the weekend has in store for us.
Old 18-08-2013, 12:42   #42
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Now DinG, we all knew that for Jay to maintain his alleged absence from this thread he would have his Sancho post bigoted remarks.
Ooh! What you said! I see Donkey Oatey's been on & it must be killing him not being able to have his Tuppence worth of pokes. Come on Jay, you know you want to!

U turns are allowed you know mate, just look how many "Call me Dave" has made, if he can do it, well, little people like us surely can too.
cashman and Barrie Yates like this.
Old 18-08-2013, 21:04   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The Special One is coming...................
Old 19-08-2013, 00:30   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
The Special One is coming...................
Didn't watch the full match, only MOTD2. Very slick passing and penetration in the first half by Cheski, Hull seemed to be overawed by it all and what a superb goal by Lampard. However, second half was a different story, never looked as though Chelsea would lose but they will have to play better against the NN, La Crème and the Scousers, and a few other teams. Chelski are a brilliant attacking team but I think they are still a bit lacking at the back. Lots to come I think.
Old 20-08-2013, 15:58   #45
God Member

Here's a short post with a link ... in the style of C'mon:

Revealed: The Premier League reaches an all-time low of English players | Football | The Guardian

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..