Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Gaming Forum
Donate! Join Today

Gaming Forum Talk about the latest PS2, xbox or whatever systems and our own classics!!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2003, 16:44   #16

Post Re: Xbox or Gamecube?

[quote author=Annefairley link=board=gaming;num=1067872799;start=0#12 date=11/11/03 at 17:45:06]Hi I have to disagree with the gay that thinks the xbox is better then the PS2 it is not,it depends on what your bother main interest is and what he will do with is console, if he want to take it to is mates and play with them then I would without a doubt rule out the XBOX because it is very heavy and cumbersome,I have a PS2 and an XBOX and I have used a Gamecube if your bother likes the sort of game you get on a gamecube then it is the best one for him, but to be honest I thought it was rubbish and the XBOX doesn't do anything the PS2 doesn't do but you can Play DVD's right from opening the box on your PS2 but you have to buy thr Remote control for the XBOX at another £20 so it is your choice.[/quote]

Erm, it's true that Xbox doesn't play DVD right out of the box BUT PS2s DVD playback is dire compared to Xbox. Neither of them are as good as a stand-alone DVD player for picture clarity. I actually got my DVD playback kit thrown in with the Xbox for free, so it was as good as. And playing DVDs on a PS2 without an additional remote is rubbish because the joypad controls aren't very good - so in my opinion you have to shell out for a remote anyway if you want to play DVDs with any sort of decent control over them (rewind-fastforward, etc).

Gamecubes are pretty good, graphics and gameplay-wise BUT I the game selection was pretty grim. There just isn't a lot to choose from. Gamecubes don't play DVDs at all by the way.
Old 11-11-2003, 17:01   #17
Junior Member+

I have played the same games to but Hitman 2 and others and I am sorry but the blockiness is still there on the XBOX but fine the DVD player may or may not be better don't know yet. Have you tested the XBOX with copied DVD yet I want to know if they work with them I have herd it may, but I am sorry the game choice on the XBOX is quite small and not very interesting at the moment, a but Halo is a great game, but as for the rest I think the Xbox is just ugly and if you have small hands the controller is yuk.
Or yeah I would have a Gamecube given, game are for younger people.
Old 11-11-2003, 17:58   #18

The controller that the Xbox comes with now is smaller though.

And yes it play DVD+RWs and -Rs in my experience. I don't know if this is brand dependent though.

The reason that Hitman 2 is still blocky is because of the programmers NOT the Xbox. The problem is this... They programme on the PS2, because it's the weaker machine then they just port that over to the Xbox to sell it on that platform too. So basically you are playing the PS2 version with the token little change here and there. It's all borne out of laziness and meeting deadlines.

They can't programme on the Xbox then downconvert to PS2 because that would take longer.

I have high hopes for Xbox Grand Theft Auto and Vice City because they are taking some time to get it out there, which probably means that they are doing a decent job with the conversion (hopefully).

I only have my PS2 for GTA. Once I get it for Xbox I will never use my PS2.... :-/
Old 11-11-2003, 18:13   #19
Junior Member+

Thanks for the info on the DVD side of things, and maybe you are right about the Xbox, but I think I will stick to my PS2 as my Favourite, but I'll be happy when they bring out the PS3 which will make the Xbox look like the Gameboy in conpiration and it will be backward compactable to the PS2, and maybe 60million people can be wrong hay, but I am just glad you enjoy your game's because thats what it is all about, not the console, so no matter what console your on so long as you enjoy  them that's what count even to Xbox fans.
Old 11-11-2003, 18:19   #20

Yep that's what counts. But don't be misguided by these 60,000 people who went and bought a PS2. I was one of them at the start and was really disappointed with it.

The Playstation brand name goes off reputation.

If Sony and Microsoft brought out the Playstation 3 and Xbox 2 on the same day, but the Xbox 2 was far superior spec-wise - the PS3 would still win the sales-war. Why? Because everyones heard of Playstation.

I just hope the best console wins next time. That way, the consumers will get the best deal.

Have you played Xbox Live Suzuki? It's really good and opens up a whole new dimension with the Xbox. Sony are way way behind with their online functions. Xbox Live is a really mad experience having all these people from all over the world talking and arguing whilst playing. If you have an Xbox - you HAVE to have broadband and the Live starter kit.
Old 11-11-2003, 20:06   #21
Junior Member+

Yes I have Broadband, no I have no interest in on line gaming, if I wanted to do that I would do it on my com puter, and I am sorry but you really have no idea what the next playstation spec are or you would never have said that for one thing, Microsoft are dependant on Intel for there Processor's, sony's new processor created between sony, IBM and Apple is so powerful it is the power of 10 PC not one and it will run at a thousand times that of the ps2 that is just the processor, I know intel have only the pentium 5 in progress and no other processor, so let wait and see, and I am sorry but Microsft is a massive name and they had massive promotions and advertisement and it sill only sell 1 to 10 and you are not telling me that people dont know there own mind's by now, I am sure like I said I also own both the PS2 and the Xbox and my feeling's have not changed and million still agree with me even after they try the Xbox, so please give people credit for they view's and except that you love the Xbox ,I love the ps2 and them that like Nintendo games love the Gamecube. [smiley=s_aim1.gif].

Or and Hi please to meet you, it is nice to talk to people who have different views.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:04   #22
adi

so MarioKarts out on the 14th November? Cheers Bagpuss.

looks like i'll have to invest in it this week - althought that'll completely rule out the weekend from a social point of view!!

thanx Suzuki and Booth for your views on the Console's - i think im going to plump for the Gamecube though because I already have one and I know for a fact my brother likes the games on it.
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:21   #23

[quote author=Suzuki Gsxr link=board=gaming;num=1067872799;start=0#20 date=11/11/03 at 22:06:13]Yes I have Broadband, no I have no interest in on line gaming, if I wanted to do that I would do it on my com puter, and I am sorry but you really have no idea what the next playstation spec are or you would never have said that for one thing, Microsoft are dependant on Intel for there Processor's, sony's new processor created between sony, IBM and Apple is so powerful it is the power of 10 PC not one and it will run at a thousand times that of the ps2 that is just the processor, I know intel have only the pentium 5 in progress and no other processor, so let wait and see, and I am sorry but Microsft is a massive name and they had massive promotions and advertisement and it sill only sell 1 to 10 and you are not telling me that people dont know there own mind's by now, I am sure like I said I also own both the PS2 and the Xbox and my feeling's have not changed and million still agree with me even after they try the Xbox, so please give people credit for they view's and except that you love the Xbox ,I love the ps2 and them that like Nintendo games love the Gamecube. [smiley=s_aim1.gif].

Or and Hi please to meet you, it is nice to talk to people who have different views.[/quote]

Hi Suzuki. You don't appear to have read what I actually said in my post and have taken a defensive tone with your posting which wasn't needed.

I do accept that you like your technically inferior but obviously highly entertaining PS2, but my point was that even if the PS3 was technically lacking compared to the Xbox2 - it would still outsell it on brand name alone.

The man/woman on the street will go for Sony. It's the way things are. Sony is a BIG name, far more well-known the Microsoft. Okay so to us computer owners we can't help but know Microsoft - but there are a lot of people who choose not to own a computer and instead own a console. What are these people going to choose? The most famous one?

By the way I have gamed online with my PCs down the years, but none of that compares to Xbox Live. PC online play can be very laggy too, much more than Xbox online play.

Like you have said, you have both and choose PS2. I have all 3 and choose Xbox. Each to their own as they say. I just feel you can do a lot more than play games with Xbox.

Did I mention you can put all your music on Xbox and use it as a jukebox if you hook it up to your hi-fi/amp?

And now you can also go on Xbox Live and chat through the headset on live without having to be in a game session - with up to 8 people (I think that's the max).
Old 12-11-2003, 15:35   #24

[quote author=Suzuki Gsxr link=board=gaming;num=1067872799;start=0#20 date=11/11/03 at 22:06:13]Yes I have Broadband, no I have no interest in on line gaming, if I wanted to do that I would do it on my com puter, and I am sorry but you really have no idea what the next playstation spec are or you would never have said that for one thing, Microsoft are dependant on Intel for there Processor's, sony's new processor created between sony, IBM and Apple is so powerful it is the power of 10 PC not one and it will run at a thousand times that of the ps2 that is just the processor, I know intel have only the pentium 5 in progress and no other processor, so let wait and see, and I am sorry but Microsft is a massive name and they had massive promotions and advertisement and it sill only sell 1 to 10 and you are not telling me that people dont know there own mind's by now, I am sure like I said I also own both the PS2 and the Xbox and my feeling's have not changed and million still agree with me even after they try the Xbox, so please give people credit for they view's and except that you love the Xbox ,I love the ps2 and them that like Nintendo games love the Gamecube. [smiley=s_aim1.gif].

Or and Hi please to meet you, it is nice to talk to people who have different views.[/quote]

I think you will find that the next playstation gaming console will feature a proccesor named 'cell' which is developed by toshiba and IBM, with sony. Not only that but it will be nowhere near '10 times more powerful than any Pc' as its rated to run at 4ghz, and considering the an average pc is about 1ghz, you are just making up figures here. The proc of the new console is not just one proc though. It is apparently supposed to be 4 seperate 'cells' each running at 1ghz.

Also its not 1 to 10 for the every xbox to ps2 sold. Ps2 worldwide has sold around the 60 million mark, whereas xbox is around 18 million last time i checked. Its certainly not 1 to 10, but it is still a major gap between sales of the two consoles.

I own a Gc and a ps2, and my little borther has an Xbox. the xbox is far superior graphically. It has a max resolution of 1920 x 1080, whereas the ps2 has a max closer to 640 x 480. If you want to compare the quality between the two, change your monitor Resolution on your Pc and see what you make of it  

I love my Gc and ps2, and my lil bro's xbox. the ps2 is still quite powerful, and for its actual specs it does perform very well, but the Xbox is much better for graphics. Ps2 is a tidy console, but really many people are brainwashed into buying them, most people dont know that that the ps2 is not as powerful, i often hear people talking about how its much better than the xbox and Gc, when its not. It does have great games, many of thm, but it also has alot more very poor games than xbox or Gc. The xbox has a quality lineup of titles, there are a few bad ones, but much less than ps2. One thing i dispise about xbox fanboys is there constant preaching of Halo, which is not xbo's best game, its average if you ask me, nothing to special, just an overall pretty ok Game.

So there you have it, my thoughts, the xbox is better, does lack a few killer titles, but they will come in time, for the moment the ps2 has more titles, not all good, but theyre there, and as ive already said, alot of ps2 owners are just brainwashed with all the marketing really . .
Old 12-11-2003, 18:08   #25

Sorry to keep banging on about this.

Has you bro got Xbox Live Stevey?
Old 12-11-2003, 20:11   #26

Sorry, cant say he does. Xbox live looks kool, but to be honest most of the best games playable online are for Pc. There are some good titles coming out on xbox live, but for the moment its not too appealing :-/
Old 21-03-2004, 10:51   #27
mac
I am Banned

Lightbulb i agree with above

had all 3 aswell. ive only got the xbox now. with things like the hard drive its just for winners. i can save music on the hard drive then play it whilst playing a game. a top console. controler is better also. give it a go
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2004, 16:44   #28
mac
I am Banned

Re: Xbox or Gamecube?

buy an x bopx cant say it enough
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 01:42   #29
Junior Member+

Personally i prefer xbox more i finds its better quality as i have both i dont use my game cube much at all
Lee87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 09:08   #30
Senior Member+

well i can tell you my fella just bought an xbox crystal, 5 games a dvd and a dvd playback kit for about £140, which is a total bargain he got it from toys r us they are always doing really good offers on them,
sony have just brought out a ps2 slimline but to be honest you will have a hard time getting one at the moment and they are more expensive than a xbox which are by far the best console around.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..