Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2005, 11:36   #31
Roy
Administrator

Re: How Can We Slow Down Cars In Built Up Areas?

Don't worry about the power argument Ian, Neil is obviously not a man if he can make do and be happy with 90 bhp! :P
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2005, 12:41   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
Don't worry about the power argument Ian, Neil is obviously not a man if he can make do and be happy with 90 bhp! :P
At least I don't drive one of those farm vehicles about - Land Rover

Or what about this Roy your current vehicle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mzma410.jpg (11.8 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Neil; 15-06-2005 at 12:58.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 12:53   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I don't want a nanny state that decides what I can and can't do.
We are already told what we can and can't do - we can do 70mph - we can't do 75mph. So why can cars do 150+mph. Its like saying you can have a hand gun as long as you don't shoot anyone.

Trucks are limited and you don't hear people complaining that they had an accident because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
I too rode a bike for many years when younger, and I always watch out for them and understand their road mannerisms.
Most of us understand bikers mannerisms. They are the idiots that pass everyone on the inside at traffic lights and then turn right in front of the left turning cars. Like the one who did it to me the other week at Church lights. Or overtake down the middle on oncomming traffic - the fool has no idea if something in the gutter or a pedestrian is going to cause the car driver to move a couple of feet and kill the biker (without crossing the white line ).

I am sorry but there is no logical excuse for allowing vehicles that can go faster than 70mph.
Old 15-06-2005, 13:17   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil

I am sorry but there is no logical excuse for allowing vehicles that can go faster than 70mph.
Blah Blah Blah......................................

I do not strive for top speed.......... But acceleration is a different story...... Wait until I get my Atom....... Bet you wanna go
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 13:39   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
I do not strive for top speed........
You don't, but your wife does.
Old 15-06-2005, 13:52   #36
God Member

Theres one for sale on Pistonheads Simon

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/list.asp?p=1&s=432

Neil,
whilst there are idiots on bikes(and I am teh first to slag them off as they give others a bad name) teh majority know what is safe and what isn't. If there is ever a class of motorist that is aware of their own mortality then it is teh two wheeled fraternity.

i would also point out that teh view from a bike is totally different to the view you have in your cage. We can see over your car, We can see if you are driving in teh gutter, we can make an INFORMED CHOICE as to whether it is safe to pass you. We are also far quicker when we do pass you due to teh acceleration that we have on tap. In my car it probably takes 15 seconds to pass someone, on the bike its under 2. The exposure time to risk is as you can see far smaller. I doubt anyone who doesn't ride would understand the difference in how you approach overtaking. What may not be safe for you in your car is perfectly safe for me on my bike.

As for filtering. When doing it I am concentrating 150% on what is happening around me. Is that car going to change lanes, has the driver seen me. Is he playing with the stero/having a shave(yes REALLY!), reading the paper etc. Again without being a biker you will struggle to understand.

So..... in teh interest of car/biker relations, I am willing to take you out for a quick ride if you like. I will NOT be trying to scare you, it isn't in my interest to do so. What I will show you is just how easy it is for a bike to overtake, ride through traffic etc. Let me know if you are up for it. I can lend you all teh required safety kit( as long as you are under 18 stone I should have somethin to fit)
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 15:45   #37

Quote:
Can a tram get me to work in preston for 5:45am? Or bring me home at 2am when I get stuck at work?
Yes..it all depends on the timetables. Where I use to live (Leipzig) the trams ran until 00:45 and started again at 04:30. They connected you to trains and buses as well..for lobger journeys i.e. Preston!!

It just a matter of priorities, and planning for the future, not to-morrow afternoon. But that's your typical pollie!!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 15:51   #38
God Member

If you want to slow traffic down, then the solution is quite simple. Bring back cobblestones. Actually, you don't have to bring 'em back...they are still there, underneath all that ghastly tarmac. Just get rid of the black stuff on top.

Makes the place look alot nicer, to....but not very good for the high heels.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 15:54   #39

Quote:
We are already told what we can and can't do - we can do 70mph - we can't do 75mph. So why can cars do 150+mph. Its like saying you can have a hand gun as long as you don't shoot anyone.

Trucks are limited and you don't hear people complaining that they had an accident because of it.

Most of us understand bikers mannerisms. They are the idiots that pass everyone on the inside at traffic lights and then turn right in front of the left turning cars. Like the one who did it to me the other week at Church lights. Or overtake down the middle on oncomming traffic - the fool has no idea if something in the gutter or a pedestrian is going to cause the car driver to move a couple of feet and kill the biker (without crossing the white line ).

Funny that is Neil....Here I can drive on the Autobahn at any speed I like. They have some speed restrictions, but in Bavaria, most of the Autobahns don't have a limit. You have to take special care and watch your mirror almost as much as the road in front. Yesterday I drove into Munich (200 kms in 1 hour 15 minutes...not very fast but with care). I was overtaken by hundreds of other cars..some doing at least 240 kms/hour (150 mph to those of us who are not metric).

No problems and no accidents. It all boils down to driver intelligence, road experience, and training!

But on other roads, the speed limits are similar to those in UK, except in areas where there are schools or on estates etc., where the limit is 30 kms / hour (18 mph). and god forbid if you ever get caught exceeding the limit there. Just throw away your licence for at least 3 months!! and if you drive without a licence.....Go To Jail..do not pass go..etc.

However, you're quite right there are also idiots on bikes, over here mainly mopeds etc., they are dangerous...but somehow they don't seem to live long!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 17:01   #40
Senior Member+

Got to agree 100% with what entwisi says about the bikes....
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 17:18   #41
Senior Member+

Me too!

I have only been riding for 4 years, but I derive far greater pleasure from riding my bike than I do a car

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 17:26   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Makes the place look alot nicer, to....but not very good for the high heels.
The images this conjures up. Tealeaf in high heels, a pretty sight to be sure.

Back to the subject in question. What are all these children doing wandering the streets risking being knocked down by moving vehicles? Why aren't they under parental supervision? Why aren't they playing in one of the parks or children's playgrounds dotted throughout the borough?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 19:07   #43
Senior Member+

If the parks up there are anything like some of the ones down here, they are probably populated with 11-13 year old teenagers, hanging around smoking.

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 19:19   #44
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself
Back to the subject in question. What are all these children doing wandering the streets risking being knocked down by moving vehicles? Why aren't they under parental supervision? Why aren't they playing in one of the parks or children's playgrounds dotted throughout the borough?
us town folk likes our kids to play ont street tha knows

you know just owt side thy house where thousands of children have played for years in safety under supervision of their parents

mind you i will consider your advice and send my kids to the park 10 mins walk away so that perverts and weirdos can prey on them while i cook dinner and other home stuff that needs to be done

yup that seem smuch safer than playing outside their own homes

there should be a 10mph limit on side streets , if you want to go faster get on the main road and dont turn off it until you actualy need to and not so that you can speed down an empty side street so you can knock a few seconds of the time it takes to get wherever you are going

Last edited by chav1; 15-06-2005 at 19:21.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 20:46   #45
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

they should put them bumps on the road that are really steep, like the ones in blackburn tesco petrol station that'll slow the buggers down!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..