Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2005, 22:47   #46

Re: How Can We Slow Down Cars In Built Up Areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther
they should put them bumps on the road that are really steep, like the ones in blackburn tesco petrol station that'll slow the buggers down!
Not possible Panther. It would just make an assault course for the morons in their souped up batmobiles & Novas. Also height of bumps restricted by law to 100mm (thats 4" for non eurocrats, sorry that that doesn't suit you Garinda!!!Lol)
As for cars vs bikes: there are always those who will abuse both, however those who have experience on two wheels are more alert & aware that idiots exist around us & what manic driving standards to expect from them when spotted. This is when experience + power can prevent an accident than cause one. Some what like those car drivers in flat caps with 90bhp on tap doing 55 in the middle lane of the motorway with a queue behind them backing down to Cornwall Grrrr.
Women drivers: Nothing against them, they are just like any other normal phsycopath.
Like my mother in law, provisional licence holder for forty years & never passed her test & never had an accident-but she has seen thousands!!!!!!!!!!!
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2005, 00:20   #47
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Yes..it all depends on the timetables. Where I use to live (Leipzig) the trams ran until 00:45 and started again at 04:30. They connected you to trains and buses as well..for lobger journeys i.e. Preston!!

It just a matter of priorities, and planning for the future, not to-morrow afternoon. But that's your typical pollie!!!
Its a good job they start at 04:30 - it would take over an hour to get me to Preston on a tram . When I get to Preston how do I get the 4 miles to work? walk?
Old 17-06-2005, 18:02   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Its a good job they start at 04:30 - it would take over an hour to get me to Preston on a tram . When I get to Preston how do I get the 4 miles to work? walk?
Got to have trams in Preston, or buses or donkeys...or summat..

I take your point though....We have become dependent on our cars, and anything else is not satisfactory. It's like saying people should walk to work or ride a bike. I use to live in the country 45 miles from my workplace, and there were no buses at all and no trains. So you just had to have a car!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 18:09   #49
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Got to have trams in Preston, or buses or donkeys...
Plenty of donkeys at work
Old 19-06-2005, 16:24   #50
God Member

Quote:
It's like saying people should walk to work or ride a bike. I use to live in the country 45 miles from my workplace, and there were no buses at all and no trains. So you just had to have a car!
I live 54 miles from work. If I get the first train out of accy I get to work ~11 am. it would cost me £14 a day(plus a taxi for 3 miles at the far end).

Buses don't get any better.

In my car I leave home at just after 6, I'm there by 7 leave at 4 home just after 5, cost in fuel? £6.50
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..