Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2005, 06:11   #46

Re: work has started

Apparently the ground is too soft and they need to reinforce it with concrete before they start laying flags/stones/whatever down. They didn't anticipate for this, so work is going to go on for longer than expected. Retailers affected by the railings and the ones at the opposite side are going to be asked to close for one Sunday so that they can do the work upto the doors.
All good fun and games.
Old 28-07-2005, 07:36   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
Apparently the ground is too soft and they need to reinforce it with concrete before they start laying flags/stones/whatever down. They didn't anticipate for this, so work is going to go on for longer than expected. Retailers affected by the railings and the ones at the opposite side are going to be asked to close for one Sunday so that they can do the work upto the doors.
All good fun and games.
Ah, here we go additional work, additional cost
Thought trial holes had been dug to establish the nature of the ground before work started.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 08:39   #48
God Member

Why am I not surprised?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 09:16   #49
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Are the retailers who are going to have to close for a day going to be compensated for their lost trade on that day???????

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 09:20   #50

I don't know Lettie. At the moment we have absolutley no plans to shut up shop for a day as we were promised that it wouldn't interfere, and that this work would be done out of hours. I'll keep you posted on what HBC have to say.
Old 28-07-2005, 09:24   #51

When I passed the other day the conractors were breaking up a concrete base and were struggling every few inches to cut through steel reinforcing bars. Is this so that they can replace them with the new ones to make the ground even harder. I bet this will make a large hole in the alloted £250,000. The mind boggles.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 09:27   #52

Doesn`t seem so very long ago does it but who knows the Month & Year ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 022-May02-Broadway-550.jpg (55.4 KB, 22 views)
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 09:40   #53

Not got a clue Bert but notice the old market is still standing
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 10:33   #54
Give, give, give member

Three years ago? 2002?

Two weeks ago I had to wait up Colditz alley outside Lindsay's shop, [l did call in to say hi, but it was your day off.]

In the half hour l was waiting l watched three men in their van trying to work a massive inbuilt tea urn/boiler thingy.

I do so hope they've managed to make their tea, from the progress l saw this week l'm not too hopeful.

I too read of stainless steel being mentioned in the design of things!??

Let's just hope that whoever at the council, who is in charge of awarding the contracts, has this time stipulated that after the finished work has been allowed to settle, any defects will be rectified as part of the job, unlike the appalling paving that was done the last time work was done on Britcliffe Way.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 16:10   #55
God Member

They didn't anticipate that the ground was too soft???? With the amount of digging up and demolition that has taken place on broadway in the last fifty years you would imagine that there would be ream upon ream of geological surveys in the planning department. Or is rather that they are too stupid and too bone idle to consult them? Or is this just another standard excuse handed out by contractors who find that they have bitten off more than they can chew?
Old 28-07-2005, 19:16   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
They didn't anticipate that the ground was too soft???? With the amount of digging up and demolition that has taken place on broadway in the last fifty years you would imagine that there would be ream upon ream of geological surveys in the planning department. Or is rather that they are too stupid and too bone idle to consult them? Or is this just another standard excuse handed out by contractors who find that they have bitten off more than they can chew?
If the project had been tendered then we could blame the specifier HBC for missing it out of the tender docs, but since it's been handed to this contractor on a plate, we can still blame HBC for not doing their homework in the first place.............so at the end of the day it's yet another HBC c*** up. What was the figure £25k, more like £35k by the time it's all finished

Albert Einstein.

Old 28-07-2005, 20:29   #57
God Member

There is something funny in the figures too. in the spring when the Idiot-in-Chief proposed the scheme he said, on several occaisions, that HBC could only scrape together £250,000 for it. Last week in the Observer (page 24) the figures were quoted as £25,000 plus a further £10,000 from Lancashire Local's Innovation Fund, for the benches. Apparently the Rotary Club is also coughing up £10,000 for yet more bl**dy mosaics.

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a hell of a difference between £250,000 and £45,000.

Compared with what other boroughs in East Lancs are spending I had thought that we were being given the shi**y end of the stick with a mere £250K for Broadway. Now it seems we are not even getting that much! What is going on???????
Old 29-07-2005, 01:43   #58
I am Banned

by the time all the c0ckups and money is sorted out we will end up with one of these at each corner of broadway and think our selves lucky we got this much lol

chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 08:47   #59
Resident Waffler

Ground too soft? Too soft for what? What the heck are they planning to do? It used to be a main road down there not to mention a bus route. It seemed fairly solid then, apart of course from the fact that there's a river under there somewhere. Do they know that I wonder?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 11:45   #60
Senior Member+

Am Pixie is posting saying the ground is to soft, Fireman is posting saying the contractors are breaking up a concrete base with steel reinforcing bars.

Are we all talking about the same site - the broadway project

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..