Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2005, 19:44   #1
Give, give, give member

Bedtime with Nanny.

It is to be announced this week that the education secretary Ruth Kelly is to pledge £27m from the pulic purse to a scheme called 'Bookstart'.

Bags of books will be given to babies, and the 12-24 month age group will have their books presented to them in a satchel type bag with a scribble pad and crayons. Three to four year olds will have their books in a chest with hidden compartments for small toys[?] The books chosen will come from a government approved list of authors.

I believe that all children should have the right to a decent education from whatever background they come from. Even if a parent is too poor that they couldn't get appropriate books for their children from a charity shop, public libaries are free and have a range of children's books suitable from birth upwards.

I adore reading and was encouraged and taught to read pre-school. I think a love of books could be instilled in children from an already existing infrastructure. At a time when many school complain of financial hardship this seems a silly waste of money.

Nanny has spoken, and you will listen to what she is reading to you. There are no 'classics' on the list by the way, it's all 'Messy Lulu' and 'Tickle One, Tickle Your Tum.'

Last edited by garinda; 25-07-2005 at 19:46.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2005, 19:50   #2
God Member

Re: Bedtime with Nanny.

what a waste of money, so they buy babies books in a bag with some crayons so they can draw all over them. There's no point any child having books at that age unless the parent(s) are actually reading to them. It's one of the things I miss, reading to the kids as it usually descended into hysterical laughter when I decided to change the whole story I was reading......ahhh the memories

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 19:54   #3
white rabbits

they were discussing that on the wright stuff this morning ..it does seem a good idea but like someone said ,,some of the parents will be selling them to the second hand book shops for the price of a pint of lager
Old 25-07-2005, 19:55   #4
Beacon of light

You mean no Brer Rabbit.......no Uncle Tom's Cabin.......no Noddy and Big Ears......no Winnie the Pooh........how very sad. I have saved quite a few from way back.
We were what was comsidered poor, but we always had books and I was enrolled in the library at the age of 8........I couldn't read until I was 7....so I was a late bloomer.
i have made up for it since.......now I read 2-3 booke a week....sometimes more it it is a real knicker-gripper.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 19:55   #5
Give, give, give member

[Sorry rather than edit original post a new entry.]

If parents want to read to their kids they will do. Free bags of books will be wasted on those numpties who have kids and then expect everyone else to teach them.

Look out for untouched bags of books on a carboot sale near you soon.

Old 25-07-2005, 19:56   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
they were discussing that on the wright stuff this morning ..it does seem a good idea but like someone said ,,some of the parents will be selling them to the second hand book shops for the price of a pint of lager
or more likely thrown into the corner under a pile of toys if the parents don't read the books to the small kids. As children get older they can find their own love of reading but babies/toddlers don't have much concept of what a book is for unless someone shows them what it's about

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
Old 25-07-2005, 19:57   #7
Beacon of light

I used to make up my own stories......so you weren't on your own Harwood Red.
Old 25-07-2005, 19:57   #8
God Member

Haven't they heard of libraries?

This is ludicrous. Why should I allow the government to select my child's reading matter?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 19:59   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I used to make up my own stories......so you weren't on your own Harwood Red.
and for my own amusement I use to put an adult angle (not rude just more sarcastic) to them that were way above their head but it's funny how it's those stories they seem to remember most now!!! My youngest's fave was "Hedgehogs don't eat hamburgers!!!"

Old 25-07-2005, 20:00   #10
Beacon of light

Gayle... you shouldn't......post them off to Ruth Kelly with a rude note.
Old 25-07-2005, 20:01   #11
Give, give, give member

Bloody Hell Marg, if you couldn't read until seven, l think the whole of the education system needs rethinking!!

From your love of books now, and your obvious skill at making your blog readers [me] both laugh and cry, l think perhaps all children should be put off learning to read until then.

Old 25-07-2005, 20:05   #12
Give, give, give member

A government approved list of authors does smack of Stalinst Russia.

No 'classics'.Winnie the Pooh probably didn't make it because he is a bad example to greedy children, or perhaps because it's fattist.

As for Noddy and Co., well we won't even go there with him and his un P.C. chums.

Old 25-07-2005, 20:06   #13
Beacon of light

I was dyslexic......but way back then they just called you 'slow'.......I also have dyscalcula too.......that is like dyslexia, but with numbers.......even now I have to see numbers written down to get my head around them.
I can remember crying to go to school on a Saturday because I felt the class was getting too far in front of me......I was desperate to catch up.
Old 25-07-2005, 20:07   #14
Beacon of light

I suppose it was too much to expect Uncle Tom's Cabin to be in there....for obvious reasons.
Old 25-07-2005, 21:15   #15

Well my brat will NOT be partaking in those sorry excuses for stories. He got some so called 'fairy tales' for Christmas and I was shocked! The Big Bad Wolf in the 3 Little PIgs and Little Red Riding Hood doesn't die anymore!! He runs away after getting a slap on the wrist! Nobody gets cut out of anyones belly...its all so sickeningly PC! Or maybe I am just bloodthirsty...
I'm just glad that I kept all my old books where baddies get whats coming to them and where Noddy and Big Ears can still curl up in bed together.

And he has a golliwog - I don't care how un PC a parent that makes me, I think they are cute!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..