Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 11:26   #1
God Member

Angry ‘Chav capital of Britain’

What is going on Accy is the ‘Chav capital of Britain' !! (Accy Observer 05/08/05) Since when and why should we have a label like that when places I have been have more chav's and chavettes than we "alledgedly" have, Glasgow for instance. Does this mean that the London is the "scroungers" capital Birmingham is the ethnic and cultural capital and Coatbridge is the Buckfast alcoholics capital of the UK? This is an unjust accusation as the writer must have visited at the start of the school hols. As for the supposed amount of crime then we are no diferent from other towns. Attacking Huncoat was below the belt considering the amount of new housing being built,private of course dispite the "alledged" state of the Within Grove area (councils doing not ours). Accy has its issues but WHAT GIVES SOME STUCK UP ARROGENT BUTTWIPER THE RIGHT TO IN THE WORDS OF THE YOUTH "DIS US" If I was to write like that about a town say Bacup there would be hell to pay! Come on lets stick up for our little town even if it has slight inperfections. Boy am I angry!!!!!!!!!!!
SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2005, 11:35   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: ‘Chav capital of Britain’

Lazy journalism!

Accrington is not called the chav capital of England on the site, but people have posted on it and mentioned Accrington and Oswaldtwistle, as well as every other town in the UK.

We talked about this site and the origins of the term chav months ago. Do we have another Observer reader?

What Accrington Web did months ago, John Fahey filled most of a page with now.

At least it meant we didn't get another photo special of teens at their school dance.

Last edited by garinda; 05-08-2005 at 11:56.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:52   #3
God Member

Thank heavens for that its not a label any town would like.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:53   #4
Senior Member+

Check out chavtowns.co.uk - type in the town name and hey presto.

It has Tunbridge Wells listed on there. I used to live in Hailsham (try that one too - it is hilarious!).

Be warned though - there is no censorship of words on that site...

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 12:58   #5
God Member

Had a look at the site and had to laugh at the stories Accy aint all that bad.
Old 05-08-2005, 13:00   #6
God Member

Ohhh I just think Accy is an easy target ......... one of the lads mags Loaded or Maxim once printed that you were guarenteed to pull at the end of the night in Accy because all Accy lasses were easy I would like to have met that reprter down Accy on a Saturday night I would have given him such a big wedgy and left his Y fronts strapped to his forehead !!

Accy gets quite a few mentions on Sky One too, besides Coley being on the bad tempered footy managers documentary, which was hysterical!!

On an up note Ossy was recently voted the 2nd or 3rd most fashionable place to live nationally ............. SHUT IT RINDY ......... You'll never be able to get out the door now will ya !!!

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 05-08-2005 at 13:01.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 13:04   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Had a look at the site and had to laugh at the stories Accy aint all that bad.
Exactly, it's a national phenomenon.

To headline it on the front page and then take up 80% of page five with it is just poor journalism, and not even a new story or angle.

Old 05-08-2005, 13:04   #8
Senior Member+

I had a look at the description of Rishton - is it really that bad??!!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 13:08   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle

On an up note Ossy was recently voted the 2nd or 3rd most fashionable place to live nationally ............. SHUT IT RINDY ......... You'll never be able to get out the door now will ya !!!

Strange that???

I move back to Ossy from London with my fancy window boxes etc., and it's voted the second most fashoinable place to live. Coincidence? I think not.

Even Acrylic-Bob is threatening to move here, so next year we may make it to number one!!!

Old 05-08-2005, 13:09   #10
God Member

Accy is a national treasure so mabe we should start a list of all the good things past and present Accy bequeathed to the country. Lets starty with Accy Stanley to who we owe the football league and Saturday matches. Lets go for it!
Old 05-08-2005, 14:56   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Accy is a national treasure so mabe we should start a list of all the good things past and present Accy bequeathed to the country. Lets starty with Accy Stanley to who we owe the football league and Saturday matches. Lets go for it!
Me

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 16:34   #12
God Member

Talking Re: ‘Chav capital of Britain’

Come on peeps what about this list Baz is number 2 what about some more ideas.
Old 05-08-2005, 16:43   #13

3. Its not Burnley. (Stolen from the chavcity site, I know!)
Old 05-08-2005, 16:52   #14
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Accy is a national treasure so mabe we should start a list of all the good things past and present Accy bequeathed to the country.
We did that one a while ago. We've got a section somewhere on all the people Accy can be proud of and then we tried to come up with things in Accrington today that make it a good palce to live.

If I can find the thread I' ll post the link. Mind you, I lost karma points for posting about the free parking being an assett.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 17:07   #15
God Member

Ok lets see what is good about Accy,

Phill Collins (genisis fame) honoury president Accy Stanley when Tash Hoskins played.
Julie Hesmondhaulgh Patrick Brunt Mina Anwar Jim Bowen the Tiffany glass collection up at Howarths the Accrington Pals.... any more?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..