Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2005, 16:33   #106
God Member

Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I think the education idea has been tried and it quite obviously fails.

Quite right slinky, you can either choose to smoke or not smoke and it's your own choice. I don't think anyone is siggesting that choice be taken from you.

Unfortunately children who have smoke puffed into their faces by thoughtless uncaring adults don't have any choice.
Maybe it is time to take the yanks attitude that if when older they have health issues broughtr on by passive smoking linked to aldults around then SUE THEM. Might make people think about it along with the attempted murser charge I surjested in an early thread. There could also be something in the human rights act with luck they could use. Acrylic-bob could straighten that one out.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2005, 16:36   #107
God Member

Well done pilky for giving it another go. Hubby is also trying at the moment.

As for the comment about the title - that was just a marketing ploy to get you all logging on to the thread - IT WORKED!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 16:47   #108
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Maybe it is time to take the yanks attitude that if when older they have health issues broughtr on by passive smoking linked to aldults around then SUE THEM. Might make people think about it along with the attempted murser charge I surjested in an early thread. There could also be something in the human rights act with luck they could use. Acrylic-bob could straighten that one out.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if somebody tried that in a few years time.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 17:16   #109
God Member

Had a look at the "European Convention on Human Rights" and found the only part I think could be relevent to smoking near children is in article 3 "No one shall be subjected to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment". Wether this would cover it I am not sure but the outcome could be intresting is it torture or inhuman or even degrading.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 17:27   #110
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I used to be very anti-smoking. Know I am just anti-smoking around people who don't want polluting. After all I don't want my taxes to increase so, good on all you smokers, have an extra packet or two for me.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 17:32   #111
I am Banned

Exclamation Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
I've just popped out to post some letters and saw a young mum tucking her kids safely into the car. She put the older one (about 3yr old) in the back seat and made sure the seat belt was fastened. Then she put the younger one (a baby in a car seat) nicely secured. I was thinking 'how sweet' until she turned around and I realised that all the time she'd had a fag in her mouth.

I implore you, if you do this, please stop. I couldn't care less about adults, if you want to smoke then fine, it's your choice and I have no problems with smokey pubs or anywhere else because if I choose to go in them that's my choice. But, please please don't kill your children like this.

Children have tiny little lungs, if they're stuck in a car with a smoker they are inhaling as much, if not more than the smoker is.
did you use the firstclass post or the cheaper second class? i prefer first class. it is excellent value for money.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 17:33   #112
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Had a look at the "European Convention on Human Rights" and found the only part I think could be relevent to smoking near children is in article 3 "No one shall be subjected to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment". Wether this would cover it I am not sure but the outcome could be intresting is it torture or inhuman or even degrading.
reading cra* like this is both.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 21:49   #113

Well i've given up smoking for 48hrs.Whats next?Breaking wind and worry about passive methane gases being breathed in.lol
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 22:49   #114

Just leave smokers alone. All you lot who are going on about it. I bet you all drive the biggest killer of all. The motor car. I feel sorry for the babies in buggies, so low down to the ground they are on level with the exhaust fumes. All you lot that are complaining yet again about SMOKERS,you lie down near the exhaust and you breath in the fumes. And stop flying in the aeroplanes on your holidays abroad. Who do you think breathes all those fumes in. Duh! All we hear is get rid of the fag. Get rid of the cars and use your bikes, and stop polluting the air we breathe. Don't just blame the cigarette. You won't give up your holidays abroad nor will you give up your cars. So why should smokers give up their cigarettes. Come on. Look around..and see just who is really to blame for all this pollution.
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 22:57   #115

Wot a load of rubbish Get real. And get a life. Somewhere away from smoke.. fumes.. drink etc etc etc
Old 15-04-2006, 22:58   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Haven't you seen the ads on TV which show babies and small children with smoke coming fom their mouths and noses? This is trying to get the point across that passive smoking in front of children can be as bad as giving them a cigarette of their own.
Oh I want to thow up !
Old 16-04-2006, 07:40   #117
God Member

This seems to have turned into a smokers v non smokers debate. That wasn't the point of my original post.

I couldn't care less about smokers who do it to themselves, I don't think that all indoor areas should be non-smoking, etc.

My point was simply - don't do it near children, and certainly not in the confined area of a car. Adults can choose to move away from smokers or they can choose to smoke themselves, children who are trapped in a car don't have that choice!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 22:19   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
i am a 21 year old girl who has never in her life touched a cigarette. my 15 year old sister hasnt neither, we dont need to. you see we live in a pub. i class us as passive smokers. if i had the chance i would take her out of the pub life and live in a normal house where smoking is banned. we dont have a choice but to live in an ashtray. it isnt my parents fault, it just annoys me when people say i cant give up smoking or you wouldnt understand what its like! err hello what about the people who dont smoke dont the people who smoke understand what we might want sometimes????

i hate smoking but yet smokers think there hard done to by people who dont smoke.
well my lungs are hard done to by your smoke!!!!!
Yeh an I bet you drive a car and pollute the air giving me passive car fumes in my lungs. And I'll bet your one of those people who fly off abroad on cheap holidays regularly and leaving people on terra firma to breathe in the obnoxious engine fumes. So, lets ban fags, ban the demon drink, ban the car and ban all flights. Now, what's left I wonder???
Old 17-04-2006, 01:16   #119
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle
Yeh an I bet you drive a car and pollute the air giving me passive car fumes in my lungs. And I'll bet your one of those people who fly off abroad on cheap holidays regularly and leaving people on terra firma to breathe in the obnoxious engine fumes. So, lets ban fags, ban the demon drink, ban the car and ban all flights. Now, what's left I wonder???

...and inhale and relax, and I say that to you as a smoker.

The thread was about smoking in a confined area with a child/children. I wouldn't do it, and neither would the majority of smokers I know.

....and exhale.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 11:01   #120
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

As much as I agree that children should not be placed in a position where they can breathe in tobacco smoke Gayle isn’t it equally the same not to place them anywhere near a motor vehicle?

Oh! Sorry I forgot cars are essential to our way of life so it’s OK to kill kids with exhaust fumes then.
Quote:
Children have tiny little lungs, if they're stuck in a car with a smoker they are inhaling as much, if not more than the smoker is.
Whilst they are stuck in the car what do you think that they breathe in? Fresh air? Where from? Oh! You mean THAT fresh air from outside loaded with chemical cocktails of potential death straight from the exhaust of other vehicles. Some fresh air!

Instead of these “holier than thou” non smokers pontificating about tobacco smoke and how it is killing kids they should tackle the real culprit – the infernal combustion engine and industry.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..