Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2005, 18:57   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 11AM silence

saw the old guy on tele tonight 109years old and laying a wreath across the water in france,all those years later from ww1 and he was still crying,and i just thought we will never REALLY know, was nearly slobbering meself was very moving.
Old 11-11-2005, 19:09   #17
God Member

We had the 2 minutes silence in our department at work today, it was observed by most, it really irritates me when the younger members of staff just continue with their duties, I dont think its a total lack of respect just that they dont know why its done, anyway a few got an education today.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 19:13   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

glad to hear a few got an education grego, would hope your right about total lack of respect! i'm not too sure,but then i'm a cynical sod.
Old 11-11-2005, 19:35   #19
God Member

Maybe it needs drilled into them more at school and home. My daughter understands why we have it and she is 9. What chance would there be if she and others like her didnt know or couldnt be bothered with it. They should pride themselves on knowing why we have this day and what would have been if the selfless ones had not stood up to be counted.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 19:56   #20
Resting in Peace

I was getting ready for work at 11am and even stopped shaving.

On Sunday I'll be at the front of St John Anbulance, even though I'm working till 02:00 Sunday morning. I hope that there is a good turn out both in town and in Oak Hill for the wreath laying after the Church Service at St James.

Think that some people are being taught about what has happen in the two world wars with the events that are happening around the world now, let us hope that they will give the respect a bit more thought next year.

Cant quite recall at mo who started thread and commented about an old dear (not sure now who replied either now) butr maybe she "in her own world" and not knowingly making a noise in the 2 minute silence.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 21:17   #21
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I observed the silence, being at home today it was easy. What is not easy is seeing these incredibly brave old men on TV, talking about their experiences and the loss of their friends and comrades. No names are forgotten and tears are still shed. In the not too recent future there will be none of these men left. I believe that our duty lies in making sure that they are not forgotten by ourselves and the younger members of our families.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 21:39   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

I know what you mean, Lettie. The Burma Star Association always marches through Warrington on Remembrance Sunday and on VJ Day. I always get a lump in my throat when I see those old boys in their blazers and berets, especially as an old family friend of ours (now dead) fought with the "forgotten army" for nearly 5 years, but every year there are less and less of them.

I can't remember much about WW2 but it did impact on me. I grew up with kids whose dads were killed in the war and I used to be very good friends with a Jewish girl whose German relatives were all murdered by the Nazis. You and I might not be here today but for those old men.

Lest we forget........
Old 11-11-2005, 21:45   #23
Junior Member+

I always observe the two mins silence. And i always go to the cenotaph where i place a small cross for my friend who died in kosovo. He was a gurkka engineer called Balaham Rai and was a sergent. He was a remarkable man and i wish i could have seen him before he died just to be in his company. It's always the good people who seem to loose out. God rest his soul!
Old 11-11-2005, 21:58   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez's baby boy!!!
I always observe the two mins silence. And i always go to the cenotaph where i place a small cross for my friend who died in kosovo. He was a gurkka engineer called Balaham Rai and was a sergent. He was a remarkable man and i wish i could have seen him before he died just to be in his company. It's always the good people who seem to loose out. God rest his soul!
You remember him and honour him the best way there is and he would be proud no dout.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 11-11-2005, 23:43   #25

I was standing near the clock on the bus station observing the silence.I found it very hard to though because no one seemed to give a damn.I found myself looking around to see if other people had the decency to stop for a couple of minutes.I counted about 5 people.
Old 12-11-2005, 00:02   #26
God Member

Looks like all respect fr what it stands for has gone.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 12-11-2005, 00:08   #27
Give, give, give member

Last year on Rememberance Sunday at eleven o'clock, I was in the Ossy Co-op, buying the papers. It was announced there would be a two minutes scilence, everyone observed it except three old women.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 00:09   #28
Junior Member+

makes you wonder if it was worth it! no sense of community anymore.
Old 12-11-2005, 00:23   #29
Member.

Quote:
Listen there have always been those in society who are irreverent and dismissive of those who sacrificed there lives for others. It does not lessen your commitment to your community or the memory of those that give everything or the memory of your friend. It’s what you do that matters, not what anybody else does. As long as you make it worth it to yourself you’ll never stand alone.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 00:25   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
to me its always worth it- sod em you can't put sense were there is none. its how you feel yourself that counts.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..