Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree548Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013, 12:28   #31

Re: Christian Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Amazing isn't it from a few short paragraphs this God botherer can take on the role of the almighty and so sentence you to an everlasting hell.
I've said it before and here I go again, if BG is not to get through those pearly gates the first person he will see is the person so conceited that he/she can proclaim what his/her God has in store for BG.
Something tells me perhaps whosoever you are it might on Remembrance Day for you to learn a little humility from those that have fallen?
They gave their lives so that you can pontificate about how others live their lives!
Hi, Less,

Nice to meet you. Amazing what a few lines of scripture will do! A friend of mine use to say that soldiers didn't give their lives, they had it taken from them. Thinking about the Accrington Pals who were almost wiped out in one day in the Great War, I can't help feeling that there was truth in his statement. I was never called upon to do service for the Queen and Country but I can't help feeling that the soldiers were asked to do far more than their duty. That is my view not the word of God.

Last edited by K99WARD; 10-11-2013 at 12:30.
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2013, 12:34   #32
God Member

I view religion as a form of afterlife insurance - I don't need it but to those that do, it does provide some comfort.

I just wish there weren't so many pushy insurance salesmen about

Old 10-11-2013, 12:40   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
because you believe(in) something does not automatically make it true.
You are fortunate to live in a country where you can speak of your views......but there are other views too...and other beliefs with their own set of believers.
Yes you answered a question, but the reason for the question is long gone. Gayle explained why she wanted to have some information...it was to allow her to make choices in respect of an event she was to be responsible for organising.

To be honest, if you want to be part of the forum and post on many and various topics then you will be made welcome.
If you are here as an evangelist, to promote your beliefs then I assure you, you have chosen a rocky road.
I am pleased that you have such strong faith......but there will be many on here who will not want to share it.
Hi Margaret,

Nice to meet you. I am well aware that the Christian road is a rocky one but I never shied away from truth, ever. If there are those who don't wish to hear my views then they should either ignore them or try a different forum. I am COMMANDED to declare God's views as expressed in the bible. I am aware that they will not be popular and may even tempt some to ignore forum rules in their replies but that is not for me to decide. I will not be gagged by majority mob rule, so as my dad used to say, they will have to lump it.

Last edited by K99WARD; 10-11-2013 at 12:42. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-11-2013, 12:44   #34
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Christian Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by K99WARD View Post
Hi, Winnie,

Nice to meet you. Amazing what a few lines of scripture will do! A friend of mine use to say that soldiers didn't give their lives, they had it taken from them. Thinking about the Accrington Pals who were almost wiped out in one day in the Great War, I can't help feeling that there was truth in his statement. I was never called upon to do service for the Queen and Country but I can't help feeling that the soldiers were asked to do far more than their duty. That is my view not the word of God.
I forgive you if calling me 'Winnie' is some form of humour.

I do not forgive you for using the site as a soap box to spout your half cocked religious beliefs.

Strange how when people want to frighten others into religion they tend to display 'God' as unforgiving and wrathful, a touch too much Old Testament for me.

I prefer:-
1/ God gave us free will.
2/ Jesus died for our sins.

Therefore we haven't got to go seeking a get out of Hell card, in some desperate attempt to avoid hot pokers up our bottoms for eternity.
We all will have a free, complimentary ticket to the heavenly amusement park and will be attended by friendly hosts.
Oh, and there won't be a sign on the gates saying, 'you have to be this good to enter'.

Margaret welcomed you to the site, perhaps you should heed her advice? God moves in mysterious ways, perhaps it's time for you to listen to folk and not preach?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:52   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I view religion as a form of afterlife insurance - I don't need it but to those that do, it does provide some comfort.

I just wish there weren't so many pushy insurance salesmen about
Hi again,

Many make light of God but a day will come when many will rue it. I come from an era when nobody would openly dispute about God. Maybe it was because of war, when many were frightened but now it is common to show disbelief. God does not give immediate punishment for our sins or we should all be dead. He waits patiently for us to repent of them but there is a day of reckoning when we shall all answer for them. Shall we be like the wise virgins who had their lamps filled and trimmed ready or like the foolish ones who panicked at the last minute and were shut out from the feast?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:53   #36
JFT96

Quote:
Hi Margaret,

Nice to meet you. I am well aware that the Christian road is a rocky one but I never shied away from truth, ever. If there are those who don't wish to hear my views then they should either ignore them or try a different forum. I am COMMANDED to declare God's views as expressed in the bible. I am aware that they will not be popular and may even tempt some to ignore forum rules in their replies but that is not for me to decide. I will not be gagged by majority mob rule, so as my dad used to say, they will have to lump it.

So its okay to ignore what the Majority want......sounds like a Dictatorship to me.

Could you please show me, i dont have a bible or any such texts at home, where God COMMANDS you to declare his views?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Old 10-11-2013, 12:56   #37
Beacon of light

I said nothing at all about mob rule..those were your words.
There are many many ways in which you can promote your faith...just as there are many ways in which we can serve our creator...and Less is right to say that we were given Free will...the ability to choose.
Many people have fallen out of religion for a number of reasons.....the organised church(all denominations) has proved to be rotten at its core....and it may promote the bible and its teachings but has been found wanting in practising what it preaches.

There are many of us on here who have our own faith, our own spirituality and do not need you to be(and I say this with the utmost respect) preaching at us.
There are more subtle ways in which points can be got across to a doubting audience.
It seems that you do not possess those skills.
Boeing Guy and Stevie R like this.
Old 10-11-2013, 13:08   #38

Christian Science

What conceit you do have?
First day onsite, telling us everyone is out of step but you.
Then having the nerve to suggest that long term members should lump it or go to another forum!
Well you might be one of Gods self appointed moderators, but you don't have any authority on this site.
Boeing Guy and MargaretR like this.
Old 10-11-2013, 13:24   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
So its okay to ignore what the Majority want......sounds like a Dictatorship to me.

Could you please show me, i dont have a bible or any such texts at home, where God COMMANDS you to declare his views?
I could show you and will show you if you insist, Boeing Guy but why take my word for it? We live in an age of unbelief on a scale never known before and yet we have an Internet resource also on a scale never been known before either. I recommend a Google search. When one does one's own research it always sticks in the brain better. I am a great believer in exercising the brain: something that never happens watching Coronation Street which instead acts as an anaesthetic. They used to say that religion was the opium of the people—now it's TV!
Old 10-11-2013, 13:28   #40

Christian Science

Are you going to sit in this thread for the rest of your life? If so, what a waste.

Why not do a few searches? Around the site?

There are some really evil threads that need the Lords guidance, I know, I started most of them.

Boeing Guy and susie123 like this.
Old 10-11-2013, 13:32   #41
JFT96

Quote:
I could show you and will show you if you insist, Boeing Guy but why take my word for it? We live in an age of unbelief on a scale never known before and yet we have an Internet resource also on a scale never been known before either. I recommend a Google search. When one does one's own research it always sticks in the brain better. I am a great believer in exercising the brain: something that never happens watching Coronation Street which instead acts as an anaesthetic. They used to say that religion was the opium of the people—now it's TV!
Already tried, i got over a million hits..........
Funny you should mention the mind, I am open to any views, even those that are so blinkered but to believe blindly in a book.

I give up, you are not prepared to discuss this with any logic, thats the problem with Religion, it does not allow Science, or any form of logic to enter into it.
Dinosaurs.......evolution for example....
I will not waste my day any longer, as you refuse to listen to mine or anyone elses side, you blindly ignore 'mob rule' and will force Gods word on to us.
Stevie R likes this.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Old 10-11-2013, 13:38   #42
Beacon of light

Having religion forced upon you is one of the sure fire ways to turn people away.
When the Mormons or the Jehovah's witnesses are in the street, you see people hurriedly shut their doors.
That should tell you something.
If I want a sermon, there is a very welcoming church only ten minutes walk away from me.
I do not want a sermon...so I will say to you this is the end of my participation in this discussion.
Good luck on your commanded task, and have a nice life.
Boeing Guy likes this.
Old 10-11-2013, 13:45   #43

Christian Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
even those that are so blinkered but to believe blindly in a book.
Do you mean this book BG?

Boeing Guy likes this.
Old 10-11-2013, 13:47   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
What conceit you do have?
First day onsite, telling us everyone is out of step but you.
Then having the nerve to suggest that long term members should lump it or go to another forum!
Well you might be one of Gods self appointed moderators, but you don't have any authority on this site.
Hi again Less,
We are told in the scriptures that it is the broad road that leads to destruction and ........

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and MANY there be which go in thereat:"

It's so easy on the Internet. I have given up using my scripture program as it is so much quicker to use Google. I wouldn't say I was God's moderator but I have studied his word but just to make sure I also check on what other outstanding bible teachers have to say too. It's a kind of belt and braces if you like. Children like to say, "my dad's bigger than your dad" and I am one of God's children.
Old 10-11-2013, 13:49   #45
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
be like the wise virgins who had their lamps filled and trimmed ready
"Lamps" I've heard plenty of names for a nonny, but that's a new one on me! And seeing as I'm already on the list of the damned! Taking the pish out of yet another over zealous contributor to a monotonic subject, has absolutely no fears for me thank you very much.

I know it's Sunday & all that, but preaching at folks certainly won't do you any favours fella, especially on here, we're far to cynical, jaded & world weary. So why don't you go find yourself a happy little Sunday school or church hall were your efforts would be more appreciated & probably more successful.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..