Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree548Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013, 18:40   #76
Super Moderator

Re: Christian Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by K99WARD View Post
I used to be top poster by a long way at HOMEWITHGOD forum but it eventually closed down.
Why does this not surprise me?
Old 10-11-2013, 18:41   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Hey don't worry about it, I have a forgiving nature and can tolerate those that tolerate others.

Oh, Dear so, how long have you been cast out into the wilderness of the WWW 40 days? 40 nights?
All of the above?

So you managed to close down one website and thought you would come along and do the same for us?

Well gee thank's, help like yours we don't need.

You don't know what my preferences are, but I bet you have a Biblical quote standing by just in case, (why does Leviticus spring to mind for me? must learn to google).

Cheap salesmans tricks, offers you something that doesn't quite match what's written on the box.
Hi,

I didn't close down a web site. They managed to do it without me. It was a good web site with many interesting features but the site owners went AWOL.

You did quote your preferences in your post, namely,
1/ God gave us free will.
2/ Jesus died for our sins.

I am not a clairvoyant but I can read.
Old 10-11-2013, 18:47   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Just remembered, haven't seen LancYorkYankee on here for a fair while, now there was a very nice but dedicated God botherer, came all the way from America to go to an AccyWeb meet and to bring me a religious pamphlet.
Still got the pamphlet as a keepsake, got him to sign it, it's in my bookcase unopened just like my family Bible.

The bible is the most owned book in the world and also the least read. One wonders why when one can read it online absolutely free of charge. There is a mind boggling number of versions here : Read The Bible Online
Old 10-11-2013, 18:49   #79
Senior Member+

You miss something rather obvious egg&chips and that this is another case of somebody joining up to the site and searching for a specific subject to start spouting off their crap. Funny how they always pick threads that are years in the past
Old 10-11-2013, 18:50   #80
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Hi,

I didn't close down a web site. They managed to do it without me. It was a good web site with many interesting features but the site owners went AWOL.
Tsk, can't trust anyone these days can you?
Quote:
Hi,

You did quote your preferences in your post, namely,
1/ God gave us free will.
2/ Jesus died for our sins.
Those aren't preferences, those are the very basis of your religion.

Quote:
Hi,

I am not a clairvoyant but I can read.
I bet you are, let me help, just let your mind go blankish don't want you losing control of your bodily functions...

...Now concentrate...

...No I mean really concentrate...

...there easy isn't it? You are now getting the vibrations of what I'm thinking.
What a shame you can't use such language on site to confirm the success, we'd both be banned.

Last edited by Less; 10-11-2013 at 18:54.
Old 10-11-2013, 18:51   #81
God Member

I just wish he would quit saying "hi" to folks who think he's a misguided jesus freak. Maybe there's more than one of us on here who has spiritual dimension to his/her life ... I know I have; its called rum. Although I can recommend southern egg nog: egg nog, bourbon, and brandy Of course, one can spice it up with a little rum (or a lot of rum).

By the way, I am tending towards admitting there is intelligent design in the Universe, most of it imposed by the human mind. But I don't see much evidence of intelligent design in this nutbar's posts. And please don't say "Hi Eric." I don't know you; and if I did, I know that I wouldn't like you one damn bit. Have a nice day, eh. Tabernac'.
Less, Gremlin and susie123 like this.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:11   #82

Question: "What does the Bible say about scoffers?"

Answer: The word translated "scoffer" in English can mean "one who mocks, ridicules, or scorns the belief of another." In Hebrew, the word translated "scoffer" or "mocker" can also mean "ambassador." So a scoffer is one who not only disagrees with an idea, but he also considers himself an ambassador for the opposing idea. He cannot rest until he has demonstrated the foolishness of any idea not his own. A scoffer voices his disagreement, ridicules all who stand against him, and actively recruits others to join his side. In the Bible, scoffers are those who choose to disbelieve God and His Word. They say in their hearts, "There is no God" (Psalm 14:1), and make it their ambition to ridicule those who follow God.

The Bible has a lot to say about scoffers (Proverbs 19:29; 29:8; Acts 13:41). Proverbs 3:34 says that God "scoffs at the scoffers, yet He gives grace to the afflicted." Psalm 1:1 gives us clear instruction about how to deal with scoffers: "How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers" (NASB). The progression of unbelief begins with listening to ungodly counsel and ends with joining the scoffers. The Bible warns us not to entertain the company of those who actively ridicule our faith, or we risk having that faith destroyed. Proverbs 13:20 says, "Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm" (ESV).

We cannot totally escape the presence of scoffers. They were active in Jesus' day, and we continue to hear from them today. Jesus told His disciples, “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you" (John 15:18–19). A Christian should "always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks . . . to give the reason for the hope that you have" (1 Peter 3:15). However, when we cease to be the influencers and start to become the influenced, it is time to "shake the dust off our feet" (Matthew10:14; Mark 6:11; Luke 10:11).

First Peter 3:3 warns us that "in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires" (cf. Jude 1:18). We know from Scripture that scoffing will only increase as we near the time for Jesus' return (2 Timothy 3:1-5). We already see it happening with the blanket acceptance of evolutionary theory that excludes a Creator, the rapid expansion of false religions that deny the deity of Christ, and the numeric explosion of those who identify themselves as agnostics and atheists.

Scoffers have always been and will always be present in the world. But there is coming a promised day when "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:10–11). On that day there will no longer be any scoffers. They will at last accept the truth, and their scoffing will be forever silenced.

Recommended Resources: I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Norm Geisler and Frank Turek and Logos Bible Software.

Read more: What does the Bible say about scoffers?
Old 10-11-2013, 19:18   #83

Well, that is the biggest pile of bull you've put on today, not even worth quoting, I suspect you may just be getting close to losing it, can I watch?
Old 10-11-2013, 19:20   #84
Resting In Peace

Wink Re: Christian Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
So, doesn't that tell you quite a lot about the views concerning religion on here?
When I joind Accyweb I had no idea I had landed among such a group of people with my views in the main. That's why I feel comfotable here. Is it a clique as has been suggested with Less as cliquer in chief? Whatever, sometimes it's good to have one's feathers ruffled once in a while. Bet he won't be here on Monday!
Old 10-11-2013, 19:28   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Is it a clique as has been suggested with Less as cliquer in chief?
Awww, you say the nicest things, I only wish it were true.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:32   #86

Foreword:
As one who came to Christ after years of skepticism, I have a particular affection for Christian apologetics. It is one of my passions. There is an abundance of evidence for the reliability of Scripture, for the authority of the Bible as the inspired Word of God, and that the Bible accurately portrays the historical events it covers, including the earthly life of Jesus Christ. Indeed, powerful and convincing proof exists that Christianity is the one true religion, that the triune God who reveals himself in its pages is the one and only God of the universe, and that Christ died for our sins so that we may live.
Proof, of course, is no substitute for faith, which is essential to our salvation and for our communion with God. Nor is the study of apologetics disrespectful to our faith. Rather, it augments it, informs it, bolsters it, and reinvigorates it. Were it otherwise, the Bible would not say, “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have” (1 Pet. 3:15).

"I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist"
Norman L. Geisler, Frank Turek
Old 10-11-2013, 19:35   #87
Senior Member+

Go and bother your own god
Old 10-11-2013, 19:37   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I just wish he would quit saying "hi" to folks who think he's a misguided jesus freak. Maybe there's more than one of us on here who has spiritual dimension to his/her life ... I know I have; its called rum. Although I can recommend southern egg nog: egg nog, bourbon, and brandy Of course, one can spice it up with a little rum (or a lot of rum).

By the way, I am tending towards admitting there is intelligent design in the Universe, most of it imposed by the human mind. But I don't see much evidence of intelligent design in this nutbar's posts. And please don't say "Hi Eric." I don't know you; and if I did, I know that I wouldn't like you one damn bit. Have a nice day, eh. Tabernac'.
Hi Eric,
Nice to see you.

Have a nice day
Old 10-11-2013, 19:39   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
go and bother your own god

woof, woof
Old 10-11-2013, 19:43   #90
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Question: "What does the Bible say about scoffers?"

I don't know, that they're all fat B'stards?

The Bible warns us not to entertain the company of those who actively ridicule our faith,
So if you're not supposed to mix with us Philistines & heathens, why are you still here preaching?
susie123 likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..