Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2006, 19:50   #1
Always EVIL within us

Red face Microwave Ovens

So microwave ovens have been with us for what, 20 years? We all know that old ovens may leak - and therefore be dangerous, but do we truly understand the principles behind microwaves - AND IS HEATED FOOD SAFE??

I was alerted to a possible hazard by a school girl in America who took two plant cuttings from a parent plant and tried growing them on. One had cooled boiling water while the other had cooled microwave water. The latter died quite rapidly - - -

From this site, I went to
THIS ONE and their report is quite frightening. I am not claiming it is true but there seems to be a growing number of people that distrust microwave ovens! What do you think?
Old 18-04-2006, 19:55   #2
God Member

Re: Microwave Ovens

Blimey, that certainly makes you think, I dont use mine a great deal but its still used daily.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 20:06   #3
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego
Blimey, that certainly makes you think, I dont use mine a great deal but its still used daily.
As a pharmacy technician, do you have any "inside information" Grego? Is it likely that this is a spoof - or could it be true!

Like you, Willow and I use microwave ovens on a daily basis but I would be much more reluctant now to use them.
Old 18-04-2006, 20:21   #4
God Member

I've always been a bit worried by them but have started to use them more and more as a time saver. When they first came out the shop near where I worked had one for baked potatoes and I never felt comfy eating them after I found out that they used them for heating them up.

It doesn't seem right does it? I mean, messing around with molecules can't be healthy can it? Think I'll try to give it a miss!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 20:35   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

Ah well, I use my microwave almost daily, mainly for heating vegetables. I also drink wine, eat shellfish, love offal, eat red meat and white bread, drive a car, fly in aeroplanes, sunbathe, sit in front of a computer all day, breathe in exhaust fumes and the chemicals wafting over from Widnes whenever I'm in Warrington, and I used to smoke. There's no hope for me, is there?

Am I eating radioactive peas? They'll have to compete with all the rest.

Just a thought about old microwaves. I'm on my 4th in 12 years. One died, one blew up (mild bang and some smoke, not a major explosion) and one shed its lining. I don't mistreat them, in fact I'm kind to them. I clean them with gentle detergents, never switch them on when empty and don't allow things to boil over inside them. The one I have now is 3 years old so, on the law of averages, it's due to go kaput before too long so at least I shouldn't have any leakages. Thank Heaven for small mercies.
Old 18-04-2006, 20:42   #6
Always EVIL within us

Do you glow in the dark West Ender? Turn the light off and check!
Old 18-04-2006, 21:14   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
Do you glow in the dark West Ender? Turn the light off and check!

Oh dear, do you mean it's not normal?
Old 18-04-2006, 23:36   #8
God Member

Its not the glowing in the dark that worries me its what happens when a geiger counter comes near. I live out of the microwave every second week every day. TB wont need to build nuclear powerstations just stick me in one.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 23:41   #9
Give, give, give member

I'm still trying to fathom North Sea Gas.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 23:48   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I'm still trying to fathom North Sea Gas.
Is that radiation? Does it glow in the dark? Is it dangerous? Does it go bang?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 19-04-2006, 05:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Is that radiation? Does it glow in the dark? Is it dangerous? Does it go bang?
Big bang...yes if you left it switched on without lighting it for a while and you deffo would light up in the dark if you were stood near and lit a match..............soooo yeah id say it was dangerous! hehehe
Old 19-04-2006, 09:40   #12
God Member

Why do so many come now with nearly as many functions as a mobile? All I want to do is heat up my scran yet it can be an art form just getting the right settings. Still burn the chease on top of macaroni using its grill bit.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 19-04-2006, 11:58   #13

I think your best off not trying to think about the harm they might be doing to us!! If you took notice off some people everything apart from work will kill you!! Like mobile phones there are millions of the burgers around! and would they tell us the truth anyway? I'll still use mine to warm up my pie!

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 12:04   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneyboy1942
Like mobile phones there are millions of the burgers around! and would they tell us the truth anyway? I'll still use mine to warm up my pie!

How can I warm up my pie on my mobile?

I agree, if you worried about every single thing that may harm you, you'd end up in a plastic bubble.....which would probably get condensation inside, give you a chill, and you'd die of pneumonia.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 12:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
How can I warm up my pie on my mobile?
I've got the latest one garinda!!
Everythings bad for you if you took any notice!!

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..