Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2006, 18:48   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Lovely And Northern

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
She had an owl?
Yes, just before she went to the Crimean War she had a pet baby owl called Athena who travelled in her pocket.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2006, 18:51   #17
Senior Member+

now im lost again...lol..

gayle....

" pretty pwease " .......

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 18:59   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Yes, just before she went to the Crimean War she had a pet baby owl called Athena who travelled in her pocket.
I suppose it could have been worse, the troops would have made a swift recovery if she had turned up with one of these!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg florence and pets.jpg (49.1 KB, 6 views)
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 19:06   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
The Owl is about the original 'Lady of the Lamp', Ms Nightingale.
As opposed the the current 'Lady of the Lamp', Mrs Knight, N Gayle.

The 'gobbin' is local name for a sliver of coal, so small that it fell out of the coal sacks or off the trucks around the coal face. The main coal mine in Oswaldtwistle used to be around where the library is now (roughly). People who lived around the coal face were very poor so they would go out at the end of the shift and collect all the slivers of coal that had fallen off the truck, thus they were named 'gobbiners' i.e. collectors of gobbins.

When the library was built on the site a lamp (actually two lamps originally) were placed there to commemorate the mining heritage. That's why gobbiners are people who live 'above the lamp'.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 19:12   #20
Senior Member+

ah ha ....gotchya ...ty

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 19:26   #21
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less

Well I never did! I'll go to the foot of our stairs.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 19:38   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
As opposed the the current 'Lady of the Lamp', Mrs Knight, N Gayle.

The 'gobbin' is local name for a sliver of coal, so small that it fell out of the coal sacks or off the trucks around the coal face. The main coal mine in Oswaldtwistle used to be around where the library is now (roughly). People who lived around the coal face were very poor so they would go out at the end of the shift and collect all the slivers of coal that had fallen off the truck, thus they were named 'gobbiners' i.e. collectors of gobbins.

When the library was built on the site a lamp (actually two lamps originally) were placed there to commemorate the mining heritage. That's why gobbiners are people who live 'above the lamp'.

Well i never.................. I grew up in ossy and thats the first time i heard that. often wondered ty gayle well put
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 19:41   #23
Resident Waffler

My Dad used to call the area above the lamp "Gobbinland"

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 21:22   #24

i wonder why he didnt just ask me.
Old 26-10-2006, 16:42   #25
Resting in peace

I thought everybody knew that it's always been Gobbinland above the library. I have heard an alternative explanation for the name, though, that it comes from "gobbin" as a way of talking or accent. Mind you, if you look across the road, Hyndburn explain the name "Oswaldtwistle" as "a fork of land between two streams" or something similar. Nothing like - It's Oswald's Twistla - i.e. the boundary of King Oswald of Northumbria's kingdom. Says a lot for local knowledge, dunnit.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..