Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 16:42   #31
God Member

Re: Electric blanket Season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Oh yeh, never thought about that .. re. his job, back to the drawing board then.
Lol.........anyway! I have slept like a baby for 2 nights....so FINGERS CROSSED my body has sorted itself out and got itself a routine again lol.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2006, 12:03   #32

Even here in Australia I have a blanket, I,ve gone soft, I can,t imagine a English Winter now, My wife tells me I would walk round town with just a T shirt on, no jacket, We have even invested on a heat lamps for when we come out the shower,couldn' t live without them now.
So when your nice and warm over there, think about us suffering winter,
And I'll spare a thought for you lot now,
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 13:07   #33

I can't believe that you ladies haven't luxuriated in the warmth of a bed with an electric blanket.Every female deserves to be warm whenever or wherever she want's.I am even using mine here in Australia at the moment,It is the best thing I ever got for my home brew.Church Boy
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 13:12   #34
God Member

I'm a real man, no leccy blanket or pj's
Old 07-11-2006, 13:35   #35

Lancsdave,We can appreciate that,But if you wan't to be a chick magnet,Get the Lekky Blanket,& wear the sexy undies.You will be one happy dudy.Church Boy.
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 15:32   #36
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Electric blanket Season.

Like most people of my age (old getting on for ancient) we were lucky if we had just a coal fire downstairs that helped to keep the birds warm as they clustered around the chimney but didn’t do a great deal for the house apart from the room that the fire was in - if you could get close to it. So we grew up going to bed with frost on the bedroom windows – on the inside, with only a shared hot water bottle to battle the cold with. However it did encourage us not to linger whilst going to bed and getting up.

I used to use an electric over blanket until a few years ago when I gave it up. Why? Because my two rooms centrally heated flat decreed that it was unnecessary. Today’s winters are nowhere near as cold as they were 60 years ago nor do they last as long but my bedroom is never cold today. Not even on the coldest days/nights.

I do have a hot water bottle but I have never used it in bed. Just occasionally it will be placed behind my back when I’m sat watching TV. The warmth seems to alleviate the aches and pains in my back and kidney.
Old 07-11-2006, 15:49   #37
God Member

My daughter still has her fan on at night If I turn it off when I go to bed I can guarantee she will have woken up during the night and switched it back on. You would think I had the heating on all night but I don't !!
Old 07-11-2006, 17:15   #38
Senior Member+

We have central heating but its the biggest load of tripe i ever came across! and its not working at the moment i dunno whats wrong with it! Thats how rebecca came to sleeping in my bed until she was about 2 and wouldnt leave my room until she was at least 3 in winter it was that cold when she was a baby her hands would go blue i felt so bed and used to bring her into bed with us to keep her warm and she kinda liked it there all snug n warm.

We just got a oil filled radiator at the weekend and its really good oh and some nice warm pjs for us all and we woke up lovely and toasty the other day.
Old 07-11-2006, 18:26   #39
Senior Member+

I have one of those halogen heaters in the bedroom just to take the chill of the air;put it on about half an hour before bed! Then the ridiculously heavy duvet takes care of the cold;it's about 40 togs ;just right for me as I have the coldest hands and feet of any human being! I hate winter !
Old 07-11-2006, 19:33   #40

Don't forget folks if your leccy blanket is more than three years old get it checked out at a service centre, age concern usually set a free inspection station up at this time of year.
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 20:48   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO
We have central heating but its the biggest load of tripe i ever came across! and its not working at the moment i dunno whats wrong with it!
Oh, that's a shame Mummiboo .. was listening to a discussion lunch (about us pensioner's getting the heating allowance actually) and an expert remarked that if the house is still not warm with all heating units going, could be to do with the insulation, loft, walls, etc and all gets lost. When it is working correctly .. nowt like it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 00:22   #42
Resident Waffler

I actually don't like being too warm in bed. I stick my feet over the side and out from under the duvet if they get too hot. I hate it in hospital when they tuck them back in again! grrr!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 14:48   #43
Resting in peace

Electric blanket AND central heating. I hate being cold, but I do feel the cold more than most. And yes, I remember waking up in winter with frost on the inside of the window - never had a fire in the bedroom unless you were at death's door. I'm sure we are a lot softer than we were, and probably more subject to bugs because of it, but I do like my warm home and my warm bed (and the warm man helps, as well!).
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 14:58   #44
Give, give, give member

I thought I could survive in this house without cental heating, and just a solid fuel stove to heat it.

By the time it got to December, I was fed up with shovelling coal and the heating was in.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 15:51   #45
Resting in Peace

Wink Re: Electric blanket Season.

Thinking about getting an
electric blanket, can you still feel the wires under them or have they been updated now and not like they used to be.
( Princess and the pea) springs to mind here) I just hate it when there are bits in the bed and I can feel the smallest of crumbs ( not that I eat biscuits in bed)
Mind you if ever I got broke into in the middle of winter, I am sure I would give the burglar a heart attack… I have been known to wear strange things to keep warm: ( no comment needed, that would be far too much information : ;-)
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..