Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should a drug addict be given a regular fix by the NHS?
Yes 12 31.58%
No 26 68.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2006, 21:27   #46
Resting in peace

Re: Should a drug addict be given a regular fix by the NHS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
That's not allowed Panther. They sue the government then for upsetting their human rights.
They know nothing of human rights Willow, ask any victim of their funding spree, it puts me in mind of an old saying "if there were no receivers there would be no theives" if there were no drugs there would be no addicts, as 'Rumpold' said I rest my case.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2006, 23:00   #47
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Should a drug addict be given a regular fix by the NHS?

The only people who are living in ‘cloud cuckoo land’ Mancie are those people who cannot think further than their own front door. Whether we like it or not there are drugs and current methods to get rid of drug addiction have not succeeded. In fact I would suggest that the drug addiction problem is much worse today than it was 50 years ago. This radical suggestion has at least got a chance of succeeding if proper, forceful and nitty gritty school education is also brought in and the source supply was bought up before the drug barons can get their hands on it.

Your tobacco or nicotine addiction as an analogy doesn’t hold water. You can get nicotine patches free from the NHS and free counselling. And to suggest being given 100 fags a week is rather silly. You would have to go the office that issues the fags every time that you wanted a smoke and smoke the fag in the presence of the doctor or nurse if you are trying to compare smoking with drug taking.

I agree with you Ianto.W. in that if no one would buy the stolen goods, no one would steal them. But the reality is that far too many people will buy something that is a lot cheaper than from bona fide sources, from a stranger. Surely people must realise that if they are offered a TV for $50 that would normally retail at several hundred, it has to be stolen from someone. But people don’t care that someone has gone through the trauma of having their house burgled because they are getting a bargain. Those people are as much to blame for the situation as the drug dealers.

Sadly though, you cannot un-invent or un-discover something so it is wishful thinking to rest your case on “if there were no drugs there would be no addicts”. The reality is that there AREDRUGS, DRUG BARONS, PUSHERS AND USERS and the users commit crimes to fund their habit. But that’s not all, many junkies end up seeking hospital treatment because of dirty needles, HIV, hepatitis, blood poisoning etc. and use up resources that could have been used to treat sick or injured people.
Old 24-11-2006, 23:12   #48
Resting in peace

Quote:
jambutty]Sadly though, you cannot un-invent or un-discover something so it is wishful thinking to rest your case on “if there were no drugs there would be no addicts”. The reality is that there AREDRUGS, DRUG BARONS, PUSHERS AND USERS and the users commit crimes to fund their habit. But that’s not all, many junkies end up seeking hospital treatment because of dirty needles, HIV, hepatitis, blood poisoning etc. and use up resources that could have been used to treat sick or injured people.
Good piont, but I fail to see how passing the buck to the NHS will solve the problem.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 15:16   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Good piont, but I fail to see how passing the buck to the NHS will solve the problem.
It wont. Certain people are looking for a way to be doing something to combat this somewhat hidious problem we have. Unfortunately I believe they have taken the easy route and not tackled the problem at the root of it all ie "why do people take heroin?"

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 07:09   #50

Here in Australia you can have your drugs tested for purity at concerts is that a waste of money and public resources,there are kids out there that will experiment and your not going to stop them,
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 10:34   #51
God Member

Hmm, just seen this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6157015.stm

Its effectively what we were discussing here with a different choice of drug

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 11:53   #52

No. And we should stop this insane "war on drugs." Prohibition never works. Just brings in the criminal element to promote the product. It would be far more cost effective to put resources into prevention and treatment programs. Presently, the government infringes on everyone's civil rights in an attempt to stop the flow of illegal drugs. In Atlanta this past week we had the spectacle of drug enforcement officers breaking down the door of some poor 92 year old lady because a "confidential informant" told the cops he had bought drugs at her house. The lady had no idea who these people were as they came crashing into her home. They were in plain clothes. I am sure she thought they were there to rob her. So she grabbed her gun and shot three of them.....although not fatally. However, they returned fire and killed her. There is going to be hell to pay for this. The "official" story has changed several times since the beginning of this week. The investigation continues.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 12:17   #53
Resting in peace

Why should we concentrate on maintaining addictions? Surely it would be far more cost effective to insist that addicts undergo treatment - but of course that involves them stopping taking drugs. Probably infringes their human rights. We could of course try very large doses of heroin, thus making the problem self-limiting - an addict could choose which course to take, treatment or an extremely short life. The emphasis should be on stopping drug taking, not encouraging idiots to do so by making it easy to get the stuff. What price someone saying "Well, it gives people a buzz, and if I can get it free I might as well try it? Add to that the fact that being a drug addict means that you can legitimately claim to be disabled, you get to live on the State as well.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 13:49   #54
Resident Waffler

It's interesting to note that recent research apparently indicates that the theives, muggers, robbers get as much if not more of a high from the actual burglary or mugging than they do from the drugs.

What would they suggest doing about that in jail?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 14:26   #55

Smile Re: Should a drug addict be given a regular fix by the NHS?

I think this is a bit of a toughy to vote yes or no on. I think there should be other circumstances taken in to account at the time of assessing the drug addict before providing he/she with a regular fix. If that person does not have the money to feed their habit, then surely it is better that they are provided with that fix. At least this way they won't be out stealing in order to get their fix, after all alot of crime is drug related. I don't think giving drug addicts a regular fix by the NHS should be seen as a long term solution. There needs to be more help and understanding in order to deal with the problems that surround drug abuse. Supplying regular fixes to drug addicts over a long period of time is going to put even more pressure on the tight budgets of the NHS. (Perhaps we should consider cold turkey, or is this infringing on their human rights?)
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 14:29   #56

The only thing this will do is bring addicts out into the open and make life harder for the ordinary citizen who has to go about their day to day business with these no hoper's lounging around,generally making life unpleasant for all & sundry.Here in Liverpool,Sydney,it has become a big problem making certain parts of Liverpool very unpleasant if you have to go there because you know its anything goe's,Bag snatching,assaults,even shooting up in full view.As far as I am concerned,they are the only one's who are lovi'n it. Church Boy
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 16:23   #57
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
(Perhaps we should consider cold turkey, or is this infringing on their human rights?)
Well if it's against their human right in prison I'm sure it's against their human rights on the outside.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2006, 16:45   #58
God Member

Well if it comes down to human rights I dont want mine infringed by someone who is on a govenment sponsered drugs fest!! I do not want my taxes to pay for this so I might have to ask if by paying for something I am addimently against my rights are being ignored.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 01-12-2006, 12:08   #59
God Member

Here comes the next crimewave if this dibarcle goes ahead.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 241106.gif (89.9 KB, 16 views)

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 01-12-2006, 12:34   #60
white rabbits

I dont get it.. i know i am thick
anyway what happened to glue sniffing? its that still a problem?...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..