Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 23:01   #76
God Member

Re: Are there too many taxi's in accrington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
irrelavant was comparing to spanish taxi drivers not having any command of english in general.
Why should the dagos have any command of English? They have their own language, let them stick to it. Let them also stick to their greasy Spanish sardines, and keep their hands off fine English Cod. Let's us on this island, set in a silver sea, kick 'em out of our waters, never to return
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2009, 23:04   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i dont see why they should as far as employment goes Spain has certainly got things better than us.
Old 04-09-2009, 23:10   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
to be honest southern spain never crossed mi mind.. I got the impression that Roy was stating that the Spanish taxi drivers need to speak Spanish...but that ain't no good to an English tourist if the cab driver don't speak any English.. and the same thing goes here. I suppose I'm saying that we all take it for granted that people understand English.
A lot do but will not admit it unless it is to their advantage.
I lived next door to a Spanish Police Officer for five years and drank with him most nights.
He would never admit that he could speak English.
One night an English yob tried to steal my car and this officer arrested him.
I was most taken aback when the officer read him the riot act in English.
Never, never underestimate the law in whatever country.
Taxi drivers in Accy are not above the law and if there is corruptiion it should be jumped on and quickly.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 23:16   #79
God Member

Sounds just like the ethnics over here when it comes to claiming the dole.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 23:17   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
A lot do but will not admit it unless it is to their advantage.
I lived next door to a Spanish Police Officer for five years and drank with him most nights.
He would never admit that he could speak English.
One night an English yob tried to steal my car and this officer arrested him.
I was most taken aback when the officer read him the riot act in English.
Never, never underestimate the law in whatever country.
Taxi drivers in Accy are not above the law and if there is corruptiion it should be jumped on and quickly.
i knew a "Guardia Civil" just like that.
Old 04-09-2009, 23:25   #81
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
Am i hearing this right do you mean The council employ people to monitor this Accy web site.
Geez.. you actually believe that? then you are even more naive than I thought. There might be people employed within the council, wthin whose remit it is to guage public opinion, which may include checking Accyweb, alongside the local newspapers...but come on...

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 23:27   #82
God Member

hang on.. is there anyone here that expects a taxi driver in Mongolia to understand English?.. yes,
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 23:30   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Geez.. you actually believe that? then you are even more naive than I thought. There might be people employed within the council, wthin whose remit it is to guage public opinion, which may include checking Accyweb, alongside the local newspapers...but come on...
I'm saying nowt.
Old 04-09-2009, 23:31   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i knew a "Guardia Civil" just like that.
this is about taxi's.. not some relvoutionary chocolate biscuit.
Old 04-09-2009, 23:34   #85
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
hang on.. is there anyone here that expects a taxi driver in Mongolia to understand English?.. yes,
Why are you asking about Mongolia? We live in an English speaking country, surely it is not to much to expect our taxi drivers first language is English? How did they manage to pass the driving test if they can't speak basic English or read road signs for that matter?
Old 04-09-2009, 23:35   #86

Quote:
Actually yes i did believe it as it came straight from the horses mouth, may be naive but whats wrong with that,the trouble with this world the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 23:39   #87
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Actually yes i did believe it as it came straight from the horses mouth, may be naive but whats wrong with that,the trouble with this world the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Came from the horses mouth but interpeted by you as gospel that someone is actually employed for the sole purpose of Accyweb checking? give me a break.

please explain your comment:
"the trouble with this world the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

so you are cocksure are you...about what?

- Oscar Wilde
Old 04-09-2009, 23:43   #88
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Why are you asking about Mongolia? We live in an English speaking country, surely it is not to much to expect our taxi drivers first language is English? How did they manage to pass the driving test if they can't speak basic English or read road signs for that matter?
spot on.. and so what are people complianing about when they turn up in Spain and the driver don't speak English... it's all uneven..I don't get up Accy to often but the drivers I've had do speak English..now if they don't know the way to where you want to go it can be a problem.. but that has been a problem since taxis started.
Old 04-09-2009, 23:44   #89

Quote:
Came from the horses mouth but interpeted by you as gospel that someone is actually employed for the sole purpose of Accyweb checking? give me a break.

please explain your comment:
"the trouble with this world the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

so you are cocksure are you...about what?
Are you.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 23:47   #90
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Are you.
About what?

I have the ability to know how to the decipher a post and take it for what it really means. If that makes me cocksure and stupid then I hold my hands up.

- Oscar Wilde

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..