Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 12:23   #16
Resting in peace

Re: Iran to release British Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondola View Post
Wynonie Harris,

Post 9 - Quite. The woman is ghastly. I understand from a report I read some time ago that she is a metallurgist by background and was said to be rather quiet at University and clearly she is not cut out for negotiating with heads of state on matters of significant importance.
Someone once told me, Margaret Becket was a Gargoyle borrowed off the House Of Commons wall to serve on this discredited Cabinet.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2007, 16:43   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Did anyone notice those gray suits the Iranians provided for the marines and sailors? They reminded me of the stuff that Garinda used to sell in his clothes shop in London. I wondered where he had got rid of it all.
I was more intrigued by the goody bags they got.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 23:02   #18
Passed away 25-11-09

Have you noticed that, out of the group of 15 sailors, all have been named - except one? Have you noticed that, in photos of them, there is always one whose face is hidden? Who is that person?
Old 05-04-2007, 23:27   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Have you noticed that, out of the group of 15 sailors, all have been named - except one? Have you noticed that, in photos of them, there is always one whose face is hidden? Who is that person?
Andy McNab?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 23:58   #20

I don't think it has made Britain look foolish at all, quite the opposite in fact. Shows that we can negotiate and not have to rely on threats of war like some other country would, we all know which one.

It was a publicity stunt on Iran's behalf to try and gain more support from the local Iranian people, nothing more. They would have been used as human shields no doubt if war was the action taken. To me, it makes Iran look more worried in taking them prisoner in the first place.

Anyhow, they are coming home so God Bbless. Now we can focus on Argentina who are again claiming the ownership of the Falkland Islands....
Old 06-04-2007, 00:28   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Lobby Ludd ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 00:38   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
So the ragheads have their rare moment of totaly uncalled for glory, the tinpot midget that rules the dump is welcome to his open sewer, one thing that did amuse me was when the English speaking journalist asked the nutter a question he replied as fast as a sub machine gun, in Arabic without a moments thought. I wish their relatives would stop a----ing with the press and just shut up, till the real truth comes out, as it will at a price. Yes I know the have interpretation machines, before anyone states the obvious.
Yup, the inmates have taken over the asylum. Can't find a vomiting smilie!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:54   #23
God Member

The Iranians have won this propaganda stunt hands down.. from thier point of view it has been a complete success;
They have shown they can take British armed forces personnel at will
They have shown the UN have no interest in backing Britain
They have made the British armed forces look deperate by using women on the front line
They have paraded their captives on the worlds media with only futile "unacceptable" responses by the British Goverment
They have shown themselves as being a "peace loving" nation by releasing the captives as a "gift".. and it is a gift because the British would have done nothing if the Iranians had carried out the threat of putting these hostages on trial.
Would the Iranians have taken such liberties as to take USA or even Isreali armed forces personnal captives?... NO!

I agree with Jambutty on this issue.. how can 15 British armed forces personnel be taken from under the noses of thier commanders?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:41   #24
Resident Waffler

What would you rather Britain had done? React with aggression and risk the lives of those 15?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
So the ragheads .
YOU RACIST!
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 14:22   #26
God Member

After reading what the Washington Post had to say I wonder sometimes if we are an easy touch when stuff like this hapens. To say they were scathing might be an understatement. Saying that though the UN and EU copped a shot as well.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 14:33   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
What would you rather Britain had done? React with aggression and risk the lives of those 15?
I don't think that is a good argument Willow...risk the lives of the 15?.. all action involving armed forces carries a risk and anyone who joins must know that or they should not be in the armed forces.
Should we have reacted with aggression? Yes.. what is the point of putting personnel at risk in the first place if you cannot react when aggression is the obvious intent of other forces?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 17:45   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
yep , its good news , just goes to show what good chaps the Iranians are , pity that Blair hasn't got any influence over his buddy to arrange a simultaneous release of the five Iranian diplomats arrested a few weeks ago by US forces in the Erbril area.

Iranian diplomats my Aunt Fanny. Members of the Revolutionary Guard Qods Force more like it, giving direct support to terrorists.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 18:06   #29

The 15 appeared to be totally unprepared and untrained for the circumstances in which they found themselves. It was painful to watch. This was not Britain's finest hour. Couldn't help but think of those who had gone before....like the great flying ace Douglas Bader, who did all he could to best the Nazis when he was held as a POW.

It's good to see that at least a few of you on this site recognize the dangers we face. Sooner or later we will have to confront it head on. Hopefully, before the Iranians go nuclear.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 19:15   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
It's good to see that at least a few of you on this site recognize the dangers we face. Sooner or later we will have to confront it head on. Hopefully, before the Iranians go nuclear.
Disagree, When is the West going to wake up and realize that the Iranians (Shia muslims) are no threat to the West , the danger from radical Islam is from the Sunni branch , (the Saudi arab wahabis ,the guys with all the Petro dollars) they are the guys who flew the planes into the WTC and did the bus bombings in London and doing all the prosleytizing

It's my opinion that the greater danger to the 'West' is China, we have allowed them to amass billions of $$$$ buy allowing them to swamp the world with useless tat and at the same time destroyed our own manufacturing bases.
The Chinese now have the technology to destroy/incapacitate satallites as well as a fast growing space program, most of it either stolen thru lax security by western govts. or freely given away incompetant politicians
Given that energy hungry China has the biggest reserves of foriegn currency of any nation how long before they begin buying up all the oil reserves worldwide, then where will western culture be ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..