Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 19:20   #76
Beacon of light

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Well, Less....you are entitled to your point of view (as we all are)....and your observations may be right.....but like katex, I have seen children on the continent kept up until all hours......and they become over tired and fractious. Not a holiday for the parents or the children....well, not a relaxing one anyway. Maybe such young children should not be taken on european holdays.....maybe they would have been at much the same risk in this country too.
However you cut it, this family will never be the same again......even if the child is returned unharmed......the mother and father will never let them out of their sight again.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-05-2007, 19:33   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
No problem with compassion, but they used bad judgment, if this had been a 'chav' family the press would be all over them, we all hope the little girl is returned unharmed but every child is every parents responsibility, there where enough adults in that party to make sure the children weren't left on their own.

I truly hope the child is returned unharmed, but no-one should be allowed to duck under the responsibility of how the child was left vulnerable in the first place.

I agree. Once you have children, the rules change.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 19:33   #78
Resident Waffler

I've had worrying moments when I thought one or other of my children was missing even though I was trying to keep an eye on them all the time. It's so easy to condemn people without knowing the full story.None of us were there at the time and there are so many conflicting stories in the press. I really don't think we should be condemning the parents. They probably thought it was kinder to let a tired child sleep than to drag her along to a meal she didn't want.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 19:33   #79
God Member

Although I can see everyones point of view too, we took Ellie abroad when she was two and when she was three, she came with us for dinner then we had a drink at the mini (kids) disco then at around 2100hrs we took a bottle of wine back to the room and put her to bed. I dont like seeing children out late or really around other people drinking but they did have other options open to them, I feel for them I really do and hopefully she'll be returned safe but what they did was irresponsible and that cant really be argued.
Old 06-05-2007, 19:44   #80
God Member

Still no news as yet Every day I read the news hoping and praying there has been something. Poor little mite. I feel for the parents, yes it was irresponsible but if they had known they would never have let this happen.

It is every parents worse nightmare and thats why I wouldn't leave my children alone while I went out for a meal.

I will carry on hoping and praying for the safe return of this precious little girl. God only knows what them parents are going through.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 20:06   #81

Unhappy re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

my prayers are for the little girl,s safe re-turns and i hope she is found safe and sound god bless to the family
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 20:07   #82
Beacon of light

Anyone who has children KNOWS what they are going through...it is your worst nightmare.
Old 06-05-2007, 20:07   #83
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
my prayers are for the little girl,s safe re-turns and i hope she is found safe and sound god bless to the family
I second that mallard.
Old 06-05-2007, 20:26   #84
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I second that mallard.

No problem with that, if I was a praying man, (and even though I'm not), I hope the child is returned unharmed. But they still left not just that child but the twins unguarded, (no mention of the other children), I have been on holiday, but wherever I went either I, my wife, or some other responsible adult, there with their own children, we would sacrifice our free time to make sure the children were cared for.

Again, I say, I hope the child is found safe and well, but Again, I say this is the parents responsibility as tragic as it may seem.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 20:35   #85
Beacon of light

Of course making sure your children are safe is a parents responsibility....do you think these parents will not know that? As i said they made a bad call, and they are paying in the worst way possible.
I made mistakes as a parent. I remember leaving my 12 week old baby in a pram parked outside the butchers shop......I only realised something was missing when I got home. I hurried back and she was still there.....OK it was 39 years ago, and life was a bit different then.
Old 06-05-2007, 20:36   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Again, I say, I hope the child is found safe and well, but Again, I say this is the parents responsibility as tragic as it may seem.
Well, we all perfect little parents on this thread aren't we Less ! Again
I plead let it drop for now .. judgement will be handed out later. Do not wish any negative feelings to distract the searchers which it could easily do.

As for the 'Chav' theme, not in agreement here with you .. they are already raising animosity world wide, and this thread proves it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 20:38   #87
Beacon of light

My point precisely Katex, but perhaps I didn't say it as eloquently.
Well said.
Old 06-05-2007, 20:46   #88
Resident Waffler

I've been in a state of panic when I thought one of my children was missing. We were in WH Smith's in Peterborough. She was about 4 and her sister was in a pushchair. One minute she was there by our side holding hands, the next minute she's slipped away and we were frantic, looked everywhere - couldn't see her in the shop or outside in the (pedestrian) street and I was panic stricken - it turned out she'd spotted a children's reading area down the bottom end of the shop and was sitting at a table looking at books. She must have been round the other side of a shelf looking at the books when we first looked down there.

According to some of the judgements passed on this family in Portugal I'm a lousy parent and should have had both my children taken into care.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 20:48   #89
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well, we all perfect little parents on this thread aren't we Less ! Again
I plead let it drop for now .. judgement will be handed out later. Do not wish any negative feelings to distract the searchers which it could easily do.

As for the 'Chav' theme, not in agreement here with you .. they are already raising animosity world wide, and this thread proves it.
No, not perfect parents just the one that tried perhaps that little bit harder, otherwise we would have been in the headlines years ago!

I have never been perfect, but so far as my children are concerned they always came first, if I had to sacrifice a bit of my enjoyment to ensure their safety then I would.

So far as chavs are concerned I only mentioned it because if the parents had been dole huskies they would have been ripped to ribbons by now, but no, these are reasonably intelligent 'middle class' people that still either make mistakes or don't care about their children and so don't deserve to be criticised?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 22:13   #90
Senior Member+

I would never lock anyone i a room never for fear of fire that would be the first thing on my mind not having my child kidnapped i have a fear of fire one of my best friends was burnt in a fire when she was 4 and trust me i know the consequences.

Of course i am not going around thinking oh stupid idiots should never have left the kids in there in the first place i certainly think the same as everyone else I Hope and pray they find the child safe and sound. I know it was a one off and they will do anything in their power to get the child back as would anyone. I only mentioned i wouldnt have left them in there for fear of fire that can happen at any time to anyone.

Sorry if i seem to have offended anyone i certainly didnt mean to.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..