Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 09:08   #121
God Member

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
We just don't know. We weren't there. We don't know the circumstances which is why I don't think we should be too ready to pass judgement.
Exactly! Well said Willow
Old 08-05-2007, 09:13   #122

On sky news now the police now saying they are not sure if she will be found alive they say either she has been sold to an adoption racket or a paedophile has taken her! Its not looking good !

Tracey

'The views expressed here are my own and are not necessarily those of the site'
Traceyb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:21   #123
Resident Waffler

If it's an adoption racket let's hope she can scream her name loud and clear and that she wants her Mummy.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:24   #124
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
My girls are 12 and 15. Last year we left them on the hotel computers whilst we went and did things - or we let them go up to their room alone whilst we stayed by the pool. They were both over 12 but were they safe? Were we negligent?
You can only make that decision yourself, it depends very much on the girls themselves. I think that at their age you were probably right to do what you did. After all 15 is only 1 year away from being able to leave school, start work and make babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
.. I refuse to take part in any kind of castigation for a terrible misjudgement that they will regret for the rest of their lives.
Fair enough comment Miss T. I can understand why you don't want to comment, it is a very sensitive subject.
Old 08-05-2007, 13:13   #125

i just hope she is safe and well! don,t know what i,d do if that was my little girl sends a chill down my spine everytime its mentioned
lillypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 13:56   #126

Quote:
Maybe they had expressed concern at leaving the children to go for a meal. Maybe the hotel staff had reassured them and told them that people do it all the time there and they would be OK. We just don't know. We weren't there. We don't know the circumstances which is why I don't think we should be too ready to pass judgement. My girls are 12 and 15. Last year we left them on the hotel computers whilst we went and did things - or we let them go up to their room alone whilst we stayed by the pool. They were both over 12 but were they safe? Were we negligent?

If it's wrong to leave a child under 12 alone how many parents take their 11 year olds to secondry school and collect them again at 3 o'clock? (or ten past) Does that mean the roads are safer than your own home? People make these sorts of decisions all the time. If an 11 year old is abducted on the way home from school would the parents be to blame?

On the news this morning it sounded like the police were now less hopeful of finding Maddie alive. I hope that they are wrong and that she is found safe.
12 and 15 is a big differece between 2 and 3 yr old babies, this goes on all the time on holiday and because some people do it doesnt make it right, this is a sad story and i hope it has a happy ending but them children totally depend on their parents for protection and security and they failed, but i know they will be punishing themselves enough for all of us and thats enough.
claire190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 18:42   #127
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

on skynews you can leave messages of support for Gerry and Kate McCann, the parents of little maddy,
http://skynews.typepad.com/my_weblog....html#comments
Old 09-05-2007, 15:36   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Everyone will have their own opinion on this situation and of course they are entitled to them ..... but some comments in this thread have only just stopped short of the mark of saying this family deserved what happened to them because of a moments misjudgement. That, I'm afraid, makes me very angry.
Just got back to this Thread after a couple of days and have noted the above.

Am puzzled why it is necessary to comment about opinions -- I feel sure we all ( at least I am ) are aware that we can express an opinion, and I certainly am aware of the footnote we see on Margaret Rothwell`s posts.

I have gone through all postings and cannot find it said that they deserved it -- where is it please?

Opinion:- I can`t believe that anyone doesn`t feel an overwhelming sadness about this tragic event. Even if it turns out that Maddy is safe and is returned to her family, the poor child will inevitably be mentally scarred, at least for a time. And as far as those grieving parents go, hopefully they will pull together, whatever the outcome, for the sake of their other youngsters.

Fact:- They did leave the children locked in a room.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 15:54   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owd Bert View Post
----- and I certainly am aware of the footnote we see on Margaret Rothwell`s posts.
I seem to have got that wrong -- I had it in mind that there was a footnote that said words to the effect of not confusing Opinions with Facts.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 16:30   #130
Resident Waffler

Still no news of her?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 18:56   #131
God Member

Its very sad, I know reports say the parents are thinking positive, really hope she's found soon.
Old 09-05-2007, 19:01   #132
Beacon of light

Maybe it was my signature Owd Bert.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 19:10   #133
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
on skynews you can leave messages of support for Gerry and Kate McCann, the parents of little maddy,
http://skynews.typepad.com/my_weblog....html#comments
Some very interesting comments isn't there?
It follows along the same lines as this thread. Everyone is terribly worried for the little girl.
Some blame the parents, some don't.
Some even think the parents should be charged with neglect or abandoning the children.
Some are even asking for the blame the parents comments to be removed.

this is one such strong comment

Quote:
I'm afraid it was your own fault, what kind of person takes their children on holiday and then goes out to dinner leaving them home alone? Your children are not a nuisance who get in the way and they should never be left unattended. Leaving a three year old with two younger children is an act so irresponsible I can hardly comprehend it.
I hope the poor girl is returned safe and then given to someone who actually deserves her and will look after her properly.

Posted by: David, Newcastle 9 May 2007 12:42:05
And this is another opinion

Quote:
Dear Madeleine's parents,

Don't blame yourselves - you done nothing wrong. Perhaps some one was watching you and your beautiful girl from the beginning of your holiday. May be those people are heartbrocken/troubled parents who saw in your daughter their own child.. Hopefully they will change their minds, and return Maddie to you very soon .
Every time I am looking at my 2 y.o. daughter I am thinking of you and sending you my best wishes.
Please stay strong and positive. Good luck!
xxx Love xxx

Irena

Posted by: Dublin 9 May 2007 12:41:25
Joyce is not a happy bunny either

Quote:
ISN'T IT APPALLING HOW PEOPLE CAN BE SO JUDGEMENTAL AND HURTFUL TO A FAMILY WHO IS GOING THROUGH SUCH A DREADFUL TIME. No compassion is shown to the parents, no regard to the horrendous pain they must be experiencing. Would the self centred, smug individuals who are writing such horrid things on this site ask themselves why they are showing as much disregard to this poor family as the abductor is. What separates YOU from the sick, evil person who has done this? - from where I'm sitting it seems to be very little. YOU ARE PUTTING THE FAMILY THROUGH AS MUCH PAIN BY YOUR WORDS AS THE ABDUCTOR IS BY HIS/HER ACTIONS!

Posted by: Joyce, Manchester 9 May 2007 12:37:11

Last edited by Neil; 09-05-2007 at 19:15.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 19:24   #134

Ihpoe she is found soon the old lady next door to me as just told me it would be the little girl 4th on saturday,please,please,lord find this little girl we are all praying for her from all over the world for her return
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 20:00   #135
Beacon of light

Reading those messages brought a lump to my throat as big as the rock of Gibraltar.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..