Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2007, 16:55   #331
God Member

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
They were turned down as a charitable trust because of it being exclusively concerned with one child, Madeline.

Perhaps they need a 'grant getter' to explain if they changed the fund to be about all missing children, they may stand a better chance.
Which actually isn't such a bad idea anyway. What's going to happen in a few months time when Madeleine is either found or the search is ended, the trust could then go towards other parents in the same situation. Thus, they'd be able to become a charity and problem solved.

As it happens though, they can probably get just as many tax breaks as a company than as a charity - just different ones.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2007, 21:26   #332

Quote:
How does that make me a hypocrite? I don't chose where my brother sends his children to school. Therefore my pointing out that private schools are seen as charitable institutions, when they educate the wealthiest in society, in relation to the fact that the Madeline McCann trust isn't too receive the same status, isn't hypocritical at all.

Simple. Perhaps you shoud have paid a little more attention in school yourself.
thats my view. from your viewpoint you find this issue simple. thats your view. perhaps your goodself should accept the fact that everbody has an opiion and yes it may differ from yours. no need to go back to school then.oh and not everyone who goes to private school is wealthy. i think your confusing private school with public school. on that basis perhaps i ought to think that you suffered from attention deficit order at school
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 23:05   #333
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
thats my view. from your viewpoint you find this issue simple. thats your view. perhaps your goodself should accept the fact that everbody has an opiion and yes it may differ from yours. no need to go back to school then.oh and not everyone who goes to private school is wealthy. i think your confusing private school with public school. on that basis perhaps i ought to think that you suffered from attention deficit order at school

I'm not going to allow this thread to turn into an argument. I'm quite aware of the fact that private schools are called 'public schools' in this country, as I attended one myself, as did my father, and grandfather.

I think it's awfully nice of you to think that public schools, who are in the business of selling education, should receive the same charitable status and the benefical tax breaks that entails, as other children's charities Although I agree with private education in principle, I don't really classify public schools in the same bracket as the NSPCC, or children's hospices such as Darian House.

Public (private) schools are businesses. Charities which actually help children who are suffering, should be, and are, given the relevant tax advantages.

Simple. No hypocrisy, and I sincerely hope the money raised for Madeline McCann's fund benefits from the same tax rules in the future.

For God's sake, they aren't selling bloody ribbons to make a profit, it isn't a business. It's about raising awareness, and hopefully finding her safe and well.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 23:26   #334

garinda
wasnt it yourself who introduced the topic of private schools as a comparison.
i havent tried ti hijack the thread thats just you assuming -as usual. oh bye the way there is a distinction between private and public school. the latter is usually the preserve of the wealthy and well connected. your trying to make out that public and private (school)are the same thing. thats why your trying to say that you went to public school to make it out in your own head that you were once a frock coat wearing Harrow boy. i dont think so you must have been privately educated at quegs or maybe if youre a women at westholme. hardly public school!!! you wish!!!
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 23:29   #335
Give, give, give member

I also think it's disgusting that some sick people are jumping on the bandwagon, by producing non-offical websites about this poor child, that are making money by selling advertising space on them.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1810536.ece

Old 24-05-2007, 13:03   #336
God Member

Its three weeks today since Maddie was abducted and still no news of her, dont know how her parents are staying so strong
Old 24-05-2007, 15:50   #337
God Member

Neither do I.Their minds must be racing with wondering where is she?who's got her?Is she dead?Is she alive?If she is alive what's happening to her? And the worst thing is that they may never know the answers and will have to live like that for the rest of their lives.Just awful.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 16:40   #338
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
It's about raising awareness, and hopefully finding her safe and well.

Amen, to that Rindy, no matter what the point of view let's hope that finding her safe and well, will be the eventual outcome.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 17:40   #339
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Police in Portugal say they are looking for a suspect seen carrying a child in the resort of Praia da Luz on the evening Madeleine McCann disappeared from her apartment.

He is said to be a white male, aged 35 - 40, of medium build. He was seen at 21.30 carrying a child on May 3.

shouldnt have this been told weeks ago??
surly they havent just got this info.....have they?
Old 25-05-2007, 17:51   #340
God Member

Maybe its the way the police over there operate. Its easy for us to say they shoud be doing it this way and that basing it on how our own police forces operate. They must have there reasons or they might just have found out about it and they are following it up.

I believe that it sadley might be too late for a happy outcome to this unfortunate episode though a tiny part of me still holds out some hope being a parent myself.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 18:08   #341
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
though a tiny part of me still holds out some hope being a parent myself.
Me too Spuggie .. if it were in UK we would have given up hope, but does seem to be more abduction for other purposes in other European countries .. so sorta' hope this is the case.

I had a weird thought, that as technology moves on, maybe a facility could be considered/developed whereby we could 'chip' our little ones, not exactly electronic tagging, (as we do our cars) to track them wherever they are. Of course, realise all the human right's side,etc., but seems a technical possibility to me.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 18:16   #342
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I had a weird thought, that as technology moves on, maybe a facility could be considered/developed whereby we could 'chip' our little ones, not exactly electronic tagging, (as we do our cars) to track them wherever they are. Of course, realise all the human right's side,etc., but seems a technical possibility to me.
That crossed my mind too. After all you can tag pets. It might infact create more danger, if the persons responsible didn't want to be traced.

Old 25-05-2007, 18:29   #343
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That crossed my mind too. After all you can tag pets. It might infact create more danger, if the persons responsible didn't want to be traced.
Yes, I know Garinda .. everything would have to be looked into for the safety of the child .. could create more bodily harm to destroy the chip by the offender, if you know what I mean, however, bet someone, somewhere is working on this, and think it will definitely be a futuristic possibility.

Hope not too late for little Maddy though .. she is so pretty and probably not an advantage in this case. Anyway, hope whoever has got her rots in hell.!!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 18:47   #344
God Member

A friend of mine works for child social services (not entirely sure what it's officially called), we thought she'd be up in arms about chipping babies and young children but she actually was all for it. Her suggestion was that the chip would be positioned just under the skin and never in the same spot on a child that way no one would know immediately where to look.

My only problem with it is that the 'bad' people would just use metal detectors on the child and find where it was hidden.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 19:59   #345
God Member

only problem I see with using these tags , they are only used for identification after the lost pet/child is has been recovered , don't think technology has been developed yet which enables power packs that small unlike tracking devices used on the ankle things

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..