Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 20:27   #616
God Member

Re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I have a theory.

Those zelaous converts, recently touched by that old time religion, and conspiracy theorists, are exactly the same, but wear different faith hats.

Both are highly sensitive, and criticise them at your peril.

You'll be struck by lightening...or caught out by a shower.

Before you pour scorn on 'conspiracy theory' it may be wise to consider how many of them have turned out to be 'conspiracy fact.'

Also consider why you do so
Conspiracy Theory As Naive Deconstructive History -
"Conspiracy theory" is usually used as a pejorative label, meaning paranoid, nutty, marginal, and certainly untrue. The power of this pejorative is that it discounts a theory by attacking the motivations and mental competence of those who advocate the theory. By labeling an explanation of events "conspiracy theory," evidence and argument are dismissed because they come from a mentally or morally deficient personality, not because they have been shown to be incorrect. Calling an explanation of events "conspiracy theory" means, in effect, "We don't like you, and no one should listen to your explanation."

In earlier eras other pejorative labels, such as "heresy," "witchery," and "communism" also worked like this. The charge of "conspiracy theory" is not so severe as these other labels, but in its way is many times worse. Heresy, witchcraft, and communism at least retain some sense of potency. They designate ideas to be feared. "Conspiracy theory" implies that the ideas and their advocates are simple-minded or insane.

All such labels implicitly define a community of orthodox believers and try to banish or shun people who challenge orthodox beliefs. Members of the community who are sympathetic to new thoughts might shy away from the new thoughts and join in the shunning due to fear of being tainted by the pejorative label."

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2011, 20:29   #617
Give, give, give member

No one on this forum has any idea what happened to this poor child.

All that we can hope for, is that by some miracle, she's found safe and well, and is reunited with those she loves.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 20:34   #618
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Before you pour scorn on 'conspiracy theory' it may be wise to consider how many of them have turned out to be 'conspiracy fact.'

"Conspiracy theory" is usually used as a pejorative label, meaning paranoid, nutty, marginal, and certainly untrue. The power of this pejorative is that it discounts a theory by attacking the motivations and mental competence of those who advocate the theory. By labeling an explanation of events "conspiracy theory," evidence and argument are dismissed because they come from a mentally or morally deficient personality, not because they have been shown to be incorrect. Calling an explanation of events "conspiracy theory" means, in effect, "We don't like you, and no one should listen to your explanation."

In earlier eras other pejorative labels, such as "heresy," "witchery," and "communism" also worked like this. The charge of "conspiracy theory" is not so severe as these other labels, but in its way is many times worse. Heresy, witchcraft, and communism at least retain some sense of potency. They designate ideas to be feared. "Conspiracy theory" implies that the ideas and their advocates are simple-minded or insane.

All such labels implicitly define a community of orthodox believers and try to banish or shun people who challenge orthodox beliefs. Members of the community who are sympathetic to new thoughts might shy away from the new thoughts and join in the shunning due to fear of being tainted by the pejorative label."
I'm quite aware of what I believe.

As for those two groups mentioned, it's 'my' opinion, that it's the blind, leading the blinded.

A truly independent thinker won't give a stuff about the rambling thoughts of others.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking with it.

Keep the faith.

No, really.

Keep it.

Old 07-08-2011, 20:39   #619
God Member

Everyone has the right to question official explanations when they find reason to doubt.

Most people are more comfortable not looking and I respect their need to maintain that comfort.

Old 07-08-2011, 20:42   #620
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Conspiracy theory n.

A theory seeking to explain a disputed case or matter as a plot by a secret group or alliance rather than an individual or isolated act.

Conspiracy theorist n.

Anyway, don't worry what I, or anyone else think.

Christians were once persecuted too.

You'll get your reward in Atlantis.

Whilst us non-believers perish in the dark, watery abyss.

Old 07-08-2011, 20:53   #621
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Everyone has the right to question official explanations when they find reason to doubt.

Most people are more comfortable not looking and I respect their need to maintain that comfort.
Yes, and everyone has the same right to question conspiracy theories too.

Unless that's somehow sacrosanct.

Respect's a two way thing in my eyes.

I might begin to form another theory.

Both those newly converted to religion, and conspiracy theorists, are ultra sensitive to having their beliefs questioned, because all they really have is faith.

No factual evidence...to comfort them.

Old 07-08-2011, 21:00   #622
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Say it loud, Sister Margaret!

You have all the congregations' attention now.

Praise be!

(I'll leave you to it, and go and pump up the organ, ready for the next hymn.)

Old 07-08-2011, 21:00   #623
God Member

Quote:
Yes, and everyone has the same right to question conspiracy theories too.
In order to question a theory, you need to explore the possibily that it might be true - which is what I do - welcome to the club

Old 07-08-2011, 21:02   #624
Give, give, give member

Quote:
In order to question a theory, you need to explore the possibily that it might be true - which is what I do - welcome to the club
Not quite the same thing.

You sing from a shared hymn book.

I write my own.

Old 07-08-2011, 21:16   #625
God Member

Quote:

All that we can hope for, is that by some miracle, she's found safe and well, and is reunited with those she loves.

Part of me thinks that between the Portuguese police incompetence and British media mainly the news papers interference her parents have got away with murdering their own child.Unless she is either found alive or dead we will never know the truth.The parents reminded me of those husbands that appeal for their wife's safe return or information regarding their wife's death then 6 months later it comes out they had murdered them and put on a jolly good show for the cameras.

like you say though no one here knows for sure so some will think it was a tragic kidnapping,the parents did it or some will like me be left undecided.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 21:20   #626
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
like you say though no one here knows for sure
The only sure thing is...no one here knows what happened.

Old 07-08-2011, 21:36   #627
God Member

Quote:

Don't know how many posts have been made on this thread but this one is the most realistic I've read.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:26   #628
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Ya but it does get a bit tedious when every explanation is questioned, well I don't think tedious is the right word really, boring is much better
Old 08-08-2011, 08:31   #629
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You have the first symptoms of 'conspiracy disease'.
Welcome to the fields outside the fold.

Once you begin to ask questions you will find the quest for facts becomes insatiable.

I just know what I think from reading/watching things at the time.
I don't think the parents did it deliberately but I think they will conceal the truth for ever.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:34   #630
Give, give, give member

Good job we don't still have capital punishment.

Some people would be hanged, drawn, and quartered, after people had made their minds up of someone's guilt. On no more concrete evidence than reading a few papers, and watching the telly.

Again, the only actual fact is the child is missing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..