Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2004, 13:15   #1

North versus South

Why is it that if you meet anyone who lives in the South, they always assume that Lancashire is full of mills and cobbled streets. They are so surprised to see the beautiful country that surrounds our towns.
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-01-2004, 14:36   #2
Senior Member+

I think that has something to do with folk down south watching coronation street. They see one cobbled street and imagine them all to look like that.
I myself cant wait to have a trip to London, as i believe all the streets are paved with gold.lol
Old 10-01-2004, 15:19   #3
Resting in Peace

It was like that at one time though
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 16:32   #4

Mick, the countryside has always been there even when the mills were working or are you referring to the streets of London being paved with gold
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 17:48   #5
Resting in Peace

i wish Accrington was paved with gold not what it is paved with
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:46   #6
God Member

As regards cobbled streets, there are more of 'em where I live in the East End than there are back in Accy....in fact, if I had my way I'd rip up all the tarmac and re-institute cobbles (in Church, the cobbles are still under the tarmac anyway)....a cobbled street looks far nicer then a tarmac one and also serves to deter these speed nuts who want to whizz around at more than 20m.p.h. in residential areas.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 13:28   #7
mez
God Member

yea/ some one with some sence , there was nowt like the cobbled streets , didnt cost as much to maintain either, used to love sitting on kerb picking gas tar out mmm giving me age away again
Old 11-01-2004, 13:44   #8
God Member

It's funny - there's a well known east end street not a few hundred yards from where I am now where the council have ripped up the tarmac & put down new cobbles...there are no kerbing stones - the pavement is on the same level & traffic proceeds at a civilised pace. It looks good.

There are so many streets in Accy that could benefit from similar treatment, but given the current state of Hyndburn Council finances I doubt if this could happen for a long time. Whatever happened to all this "Special Status" Euromoney that was supposed to be coming into the town? Is that still there & ringfenced or what? Anyone know whats going on with the council & it's dosh? (our money)
Old 11-01-2004, 15:58   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
My family live in Leicester, and my cousins used to come to Accy for weekends when we were all in our early 20's. Whenever they brought their friends, they would all be surprised about the lack of cobbled streets. One of them said he thought we were still without electricity up here and that everybody had allottments. Don't know what is happening with the Council at the moment Tealeaf. Had a newsletter through the door last week full of pathetic excuses as to where the 1.8 million has gone. Mmmmm, wonder how much their accountants are getting paid. More than me I bet!!!
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:31   #10
God Member

The accountants probably nicked the money in the first place.
Old 27-02-2004, 10:42   #11
Junior Member+

I heard HBC invested in Parmalat shares.....
Jo in Bolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 22:43   #12

hehe, this is all i have to offer on the matter

Old 20-04-2004, 08:08   #13
Senior Member+

Re: North versus South

u cheeky thing! i actually find that northerners are alot softer than southerners....where i lived anyway.so there

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2004, 08:42   #14
Jo

Stevey Baby, are you trying to say that Southerners are loopy?
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2004, 15:29   #15

Well, something like that . . .

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..