Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2007, 21:43   #16
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Agree with Garinda totally.
Nice that the daft name is out of the way but spending thousands on changing names on signs won't help people with the services needed in their daily lives.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-05-2007, 21:46   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

The majority of the Welcome to Hyndburn road signs are in need of replacing due to the picture wearing off them anyway
Old 31-05-2007, 21:47   #18
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=Wynonie Harris;43105
And yes, everybody in the borough's entitled to their pride in their own town. I was merely pointing out that the name Accrington has a lot more positives going for it than Hyndburn. Can anyone really say they feel pride in the name Hyndburn?[/QUOTE]

And everybody's entitlement to be proud of their borough, like 'Hyndburn', which takes in Oswaldtwistle, Huncoat, Clayton-le-Moors, Baxenden, Rishton and Great Harwood, which was not marketed strongly enough in the first place, so they think by changing it to Accrington then overnight it will become more marketable, do they ?

Just a lazy, albeit expensive, way out, but can't see that it will attract any more 'investment, businesses and retail outlets' (quote Observer) than before. Leave as it is.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 21:48   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just a lazy, albeit expensive, way out, but can't see that it will attract any more 'investment, businesses and retail outlets' (quote Observer) than before.
In other words, you can't polish a turd
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 21:49   #20
Member.

Suites me fine, I think it’s a fantastic idea. When I left the town it was called Accrington, Hyndburn I was aware of but it meant now’t. If people ask me where I’m from I say proudly “Accrington” if they ask me where I was Born I say proudly “Church or Church Kirk” If some asks me which team I support I say proudly “Accrington Stanley or The Stanley” and on each and every occasion they know where I mean. Ask me where Hyndburn is? I’d say it’s in Accy.

Sorry Mandy darling, 20 grand would be money well spent.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 21:50   #21
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
In other words, you can't polish a turd

Not heard that for donkeys years............... Nice.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 21:57   #22
God Member

What does Accrington and the surrounding towns have in common that can be used instead of Hyndburn or Accrington & District?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 22:09   #23
Super Moderator

Whatever new name you come up with, it's going to be contrived, artificial and ultimately, meaningless. Accrington is the largest, most central and best-known town in the borough, so surely it makes sense to capitalise on that?

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 31-05-2007 at 22:15.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 22:17   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

(but remember we don't all come from Accrington and we're entitled to a bit of pride too) if thats the case,you should be proud of where you come from, nowt wrong wi it.but sorry if you aint from here gayle its sod all to you then.
Old 31-05-2007, 23:08   #25
Resident Waffler

I think it's a silly waste of time and money.

Rawtenstall is in Rossendale. Other places are also in Rossendale without being Rawtenstall.

The same applies to Accrington and Hyndburn. Ossy, Clayton, Rishton etc are not Accrington and to have them come under the umbrella of the Accrington name just seems silly to me. When Hyndburn was created it was named so as to make all component parts equal.

I think they should leave well alone and concentrate on doing something useful like cleaning up the grot.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 23:37   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Will we be seeing a return of Oswaldtwistle Urban District Council as well?
No, of course not. All power will still remain in The Bunker. Though we will all get shiney new signs with a coat of arms.

I, like I'm sure everyone else, have no great feelings of warmth for the name of Hyndburn, but after thirty odd years I've gotten used to it. I never say I'm from there. Like everyone else I say I'm from Ossy, or Accrington, Rishton, Great Harwood, wherever.

Our address isn't even Hyndburn. It's Accrington. Even Hyndburn Borough Council's address says Accrington, not Hyndburn.

Scaitcliffe House
Ormerod Street
Accrington
BB5 OPF

This rebranding isn't going to decentralise the Borough, and restore the power to individual Town Halls, each with their Urban Councils, as we had pre 1974. This is purely cosmetic.

If the bright sparks who conceived this, think this idea will bring in investment and renewal to the area, purely on the strength of a name change, then they are simplistic and naive in the extreme. It's much more about affordable business rates, a skilled workforce, transport, accommodation, and a council who have the vision to change that which needs changing, and leaving well alone that which doesn't.

We are hopefully all proud of where we come from, and rightly so. Hyndburn is just the name of the council where we send our taxes. Changing the name, at some considerable expense, will not bring any changes for the better.

It's the system we have, so we have to put up with it, but I've said before, if the positions of being our political representatives were advertised as professional positions, most of this shower wouldn't even make the first interview stage.

By the way, as anyone informed Greg Pope, or will he still be the MP representing Hyndburn in the House of Commons?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 23:51   #27
Give, give, give member

What's Hyndburn Sports Centre going to become?

Can't call it Accrington Sports Centre, as it's in Church.

Are we all going to get new wheelie bins with the new logo?

Sounds expensive.

Which bag do we recycle the old Hyndburn ones in?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:41   #28
Senior Member+

About time. Somebody with a bit of sense. To everyone who left it has always been Accrington or Accy, to those who never left it has always been Accrington or Accy, I should imagine no one called it Hyndburn. Church is still Ossy bottoms and Harrod is at top of t'ill, as for Clayton get Load of Mischief bus and you can't miss it.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:19   #29
God Member

sounds a good idea to me , as others have said if you say your from Accrington or from near Accrington people know where your from .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:59   #30
Full Member+

will taxes go up to pay for all the changing signs etc
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..