Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 12:26   #196
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
wheelie also bins
Whats a wheelie also bin?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:27   #197
Give, give, give member

It's a shame the ruling Tory group didn't go public with this idea before the elections in May. Then a full debate could have taken place regarding the cost versus cuts in service, and whether people think it is going to be worth it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:28   #198
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Whats a wheelie also bin?
Thanks, you can be my sub-editor today, and also get a gold star.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:28   #199
Super Moderator

Well, I still think it's a good idea to change from an obscure, unknown "brand name" to a nationally, if not internationally known, "brand name". It's no substitute for services, facilities, transport links etc, but I reckon it could help a heck of a lot in selling the area to the outside world. And, what's more, my friends, Graham and Greg think it's a good idea, too!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:32   #200
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Well, I still think it's a good idea to change from an obscure, unknown "brand name" to a nationally, if not internationally known, "brand name". It's no substitute for services, facilities, transport links etc, but I reckon it could help a heck of a lot in selling the area to the outside world. And, what's more, my friends, Graham and Greg think it's a good idea, too!
Totally disagree.

If a company is going to invest in the area, it will be in Accrington, Clayton, Harwood Oswaldtwistle, etc. It will make not the slightest difference at all if they pay their business rates to Hyndburn or Accrington & District Council.

The postal address is still Accrington!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:37   #201
Super Moderator

But what's going to catch their eye when they're looking for somewhere to locate a new factory, for example? Yes, I know, I know, communications, cost, workforce etc, but an area needs that little bit of sales appeal in this "brand conscious" era. I admit, I can't prove it, it's just a feeling I have.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:42   #202
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The postal address is still Accrington!
Don't start the postal address one again.
Old 11-06-2007, 13:11   #203
Give, give, give member

Quote:
But what's going to catch their eye when they're looking for somewhere to locate a new factory, for example? Yes, I know, I know, communications, cost, workforce etc, but an area needs that little bit of sales appeal in this "brand conscious" era. I admit, I can't prove it, it's just a feeling I have.

Any council worth their salt could promote a town called Slag Heap, in the Borough of Turdsville, as long as they are offering the right transport links, relevant workforce, housing, affordable business rates etc.

You think that the worldwide customers for Castle Cement's products care, or are even interested, that they pay their rates to Ribble Valley Borough Council?

Old 11-06-2007, 13:31   #204
Super Moderator

Possibly, but as far as I'm aware, Castle Cement's been there for a long time. If you're looking to attract new business into an area, it pays to have a well-known name. At the moment, the borough is promoted as Hyndburn which means zilch to anyone outside East Lancs. I've already said that the other factors you mention are important, but, in my personal opinion, to have a known brand name could, in certain situations, give the borough the "edge".
Old 11-06-2007, 13:43   #205
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
Rossendale Ian why?
It's always been a mystery to me, that the postal address is Accrington as I knew Rising Bridge was in Rossendale, thanks for satisfying my curiosity.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 13:57   #206
God Member

Quote:
Possibly, but as far as I'm aware, Castle Cement's been there for a long time. If you're looking to attract new business into an area, it pays to have a well-known name. At the moment, the borough is promoted as Hyndburn which means zilch to anyone outside East Lancs. I've already said that the other factors you mention are important, but, in my personal opinion, to have a known brand name could, in certain situations, give the borough the "edge".

We have all the brand names we need already - Accrington, Oswaldtwistle, Church etc.

'Hyndburn' has never been used to promote town centre shopping in Accrington or the mill experience at Oswaldtwistle Mills, or any of the other attractions. Hyndburn is an administrative name - it is used for collecting council tax, rubbish collections and for other local things. It does not need to change administratively in order to promote the towns, even for business. In fact, you could put together a business brochure advertising space in Accrington and Districts and it would be fine - no one would object to that at all.

What we're all objecting to is the huge cost of the name change purely for administrative reasons.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 14:07   #207
Super Moderator

Well, if it's such a bad idea, how come it seems to be the one thing that the council leader, the opposition leader and the local MP all agree on in principle?
Old 11-06-2007, 14:10   #208
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

costs are not always a valid argument.
Old 11-06-2007, 14:20   #209
God Member

Quote:
Well, if it's such a bad idea, how come it seems to be the one thing that the council leader, the opposition leader and the local MP all agree on in principle?

Ironic isn't it.

However, I don't think the true cost has been thought out. Take for example Graham's first post on this thread and then later ones - sounds to me like he's started to cost some of it out.

The thing is that it's going to have support - mostly from the slightly older end if you'll forgive me for saying - because most of those people didn't want the name Hyndburn in the first place.

However, the point is that Hyndburn covers a district made up of eight towns, Accrington being only one of them (the biggest admittedly) and the fact that the name Hyndburn is generic means that it can easily describe that area. For example, reading the Observer and the number of articles that say 'Hyndburn councillors.......' or 'Residents in Hyndburn........' or 'Across Hyndburn...........' etc. It's just an umbrella name.

By changing it to Accrington and Districts you are actually fragmenting the area and not strengthening it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 14:38   #210
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
The thing is that it's going to have support - mostly from the slightly older end if you'll forgive me for saying - because most of those people didn't want the name Hyndburn in the first place.
Yes, Gayle, I know I'm an old git! But I really don't see what's the problem with naming a borough after the largest and best-known town in that borough. There are examples of it all over the country. And I think the advantages in terms of national profile far outweigh the disadvantages.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..