Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2007, 14:13   #541
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

I want to go to the next Ossie meeting. I have found out the date here
Hyndburn Borough Council - Oswaldtwistle Area Council
but it doesn't say WHERE and starting time, I want to remind him that in May he (PB) mailed me to say that a red dog bin for Heys Playing fields was 'sensible'

"Thank you . I have asked for this request to be investigated. It would seem sensible. Kind Regards Peter BrITCLIFFE"

Now that the long grass is dying back for winter, my view of 12 carrier bags of dog sh*t will be revealed again + any more added during the past 6 months

Last edited by MargaretR; 20-10-2007 at 14:16.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2007, 14:30   #542
Resident Waffler

It wouldn't be a bad idea to let us know the time and location. I wonder why he hasn't.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 14:34   #543
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It wouldn't be a bad idea to let us know the time and location. I wonder why he hasn't.
Hyndburn Community Network - Events in Hyndburn

With a bit of googling (ooh I'm turning into Margaret!) I found this. If you scroll down the page it gives the dates and locations of all the next area council meetings, not just the Ossy one.
Old 20-10-2007, 14:39   #544
Resident Waffler

Thanks Lilly.

That's about as clear as mud to a lot of people though. And hyndburncommunitynetwork.org.uk will be yet another thing that will have to change if the Hyndburn name ceases to exist.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 14:42   #545
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Hyndburn Community Network - Events in Hyndburn

With a bit of googling (ooh I'm turning into Margaret!) I found this. If you scroll down the page it gives the dates and locations of all the next area council meetings, not just the Ossy one.
Thanks Lilly (fellow google addict) I hope to go.

Old 20-10-2007, 15:42   #546
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Peter Britcliffe is the Chair of the Ossy one so maybe Garinda will go and ask the question for you.
I would have with pleasure, though sadly I shall be away in sunnier climes.

I will make the next one though, and might even sit next to you Neil. That is if you're not toadying around the councillors too much, with your begging bowl.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 17:22   #547
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I will make the next one though, and might even sit next to you Neil. That is if you're not toadying around the councillors too much, with your begging bowl.
I bet you don't sit next to me
Old 20-10-2007, 23:54   #548
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I bet you don't sit next to me

The boils've started weeping puss again?

Old 21-10-2007, 08:49   #549
Senior Member+

I posted whilst on holiday this week, when I got back i had a note about the Full Council meeting to be called on the 20th November to change the name.

I am a bit surprised. PB has given all Tories a free vote and as I posted before so that Harwood and Rishton Tory Councillors can vote against.

There is an Area Council Chairs meeting (Nearly all the chairs are Tory) a week or so before to 'recommend' to the Leader of the Council their consultations. Rishton voted against en masse. They were unable to take a vote in Harwood due to the animosity. They changed the queston in Huncoat and in Peel & Barnfield (central Accrington) it was 4 for, 9 against and 13 abstensions. I heard PB say all the Area Councils were in favour, in Ossy it was 100% in favour.

Area Councils aren't any where near suitable consultation. They are a political tool. Thats what I meant about it all being dodgy (and the results). Who's seen a total vote from each Area Council? I haven't and I'm a Councillor.

This Area Council Chairs/Panel meeting will 'recommend' to the Leader which way he should vote! It's a brave move by the Leader but after his own fanfare, and the comments by people here, he has to go through with it. He may use the Panel meeting to recommend NO and then say he has listened.

It's a mess although this is how the Council is normally run, though normally the Tories have the 50% required to push through all votes without thought to how Labour or independent Councillors vote. They require 67% on this issue.

The Labour Group of Councillors are going to have sit down next week and discuss this issue because without their votes it wil not hapen. With no information about costings and no information about the cost of a referendum it is making any debate a bit farcical. If we call for a referendum we are going to be acused of putting 1% on the Council Tax.

Labour Councillors are a serious and committed bunch of people. An honest group of people I have a lot of respect for and I am sure we will do our best in trying to come to a conclusion that is best for the Borough under the circumstances.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 09:03   #550
Give, give, give member

I genuinely hope that no councillor would vote for this proposed change, without knowing the true costings.

Something which hasn't been done.

Old 21-10-2007, 09:08   #551
Give, give, give member

Graham is the Area Council Chairs meeting, the week before the vote, a public meeting? If so, when, and where, and if not, why not?

If so we could get an Accy Web charabanc up.

Old 21-10-2007, 09:45   #552
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Graham is the Area Council Chairs meeting, the week before the vote, a public meeting? If so, when, and where, and if not, why not?

If so we could get an Accy Web charabanc up.
The Special Consultation Area Councils Chairs (7 chairs are Tory, 2 Labour) meeting is at 7pm Scaitcliffe House on the 8th November.

The FULL COUNCIL to decide is on the 20th Nov at the Town Hall. Underneath the memo for this meeting it reads;
*Subject to the outcome of the (Area Councils) special consultation meeting.

Why subject to 9 people the public don't even know in a consultation that has been a sham?
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 10:00   #553
Resting in Peace

How any councillor can be expected to vote on an issue without knowing the full implications of the costs and a future projection, does not sit well with me. This has to be treated as a business decision as Peter sees this as a way of promoting our borough and, therefore, adding to the economies. In other words a speculate to accumulate type of situation.

Just to remind you, this is a post I put up earlier of a professional opionion on the gateway signs alone :-

'As for the cost of a sign... That can vary a great deal. Gateway signs usually have to be designed, then consulted on (to make sure everybody likes them, or that suitable apathy is created that no-one bothers responding), produced, planned for and installed. The only thing I can say for sure is that this will cost more than £20,000. The engineering/installation costs alone could run into £££££.

If you are really that interested, you could take a stab at costing it yourself based on information contained within a publication called SPONS. SPONS publishes the rates of building materials and construction costs nationally (it might be available on the internet). You'd need to cost for:

2X aluminium poles
1X Mounting board with reflective microprismatic cover
Sunday working at 2X workmen (or UGGS as I like to call them)
Sawcut of carriageway
Removal of footway surface materials
Reinstatement of footway surface materials (200mm binder, 750mm sub course, 1500mm concrete, 75mm surface coarse-bitumnious tarmacadam and spray on tac-coat)

As you can probably deduce from the list of materials/work that is required for multiple signs this will surely cost more than £20,000 - but then I'm not sure what the £20,000 is for - maybe it's just for designing the sign.'
Old 27-10-2007, 14:56   #554

Question Accrington and District???

(sorry if a re-post)

Have you read in the observer... it says that they are having a meeting to discuss the proposal of changing Hyndburn to Accrington and district.

i think its stupid. Just think about how much it would cost.. eg all the road signs etc.

Is it really necessary? What do you think?
AccyAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 15:03   #555
God Member

Re: Accrington and District???

We have had a long thread about this
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...xed-31135.html

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..