Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2007, 15:05   #556

Re: Accrington and District???

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We have had a long thread about this
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...xed-31135.html
hehe cheers. (smack on hand for not searching)

I like the name hyndburn... lol
AccyAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2007, 17:08   #557
Resident Waffler

So do most people Alec - care to try convincing Peter Britcliffe?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 18:50   #558
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
So do most people Alec
And how have you reached that conclusion? Have you gone round and asked everyone in Accrington & Districts?
Old 27-10-2007, 19:04   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
And how have you reached that conclusion? Have you gone round and asked everyone in Accrington & Districts?
No she went and asked everyone in Hyndburn :P
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 19:20   #560
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
No she went and asked everyone in Hyndburn :P
Where's that? Never 'eard of it!
Old 27-10-2007, 19:41   #561
Resting in peace

Quote:
Where's that? Never 'eard of it!
Did you read that in the Observer about Britcliffe falling in that river Wynonie, I think it was in Germany(no doubt 'someone will correct me). I wonder if he was 'testing' the waters for some devine inspiration, to convince his 'subjects' that it was going to cost next to nowt to change the name. Tim O Kane has him well weighed up, he has more brains in his litte toe than PB hasACCRINGTON AND DISTRICT NEED HIM. I know he's Labour Wynonie but owt's better than PB.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 20:41   #562
Super Moderator

PB is simply following where I have led. I was waging war on the H******nites in the columns of the Observer in the early 80's, when he was still running his clothes shop!
Old 27-10-2007, 21:36   #563
Give, give, give member

Quote:
PB is simply following where I have led. I was waging war on the H******nites in the columns of the Observer in the early 80's, when he was still running his clothes shop!
You should have said whilst he was 'still in ladies frocks'.

It's all about the phrasing, and you might have garnered more support for your campaign in the eighties, if you'd have employed a better turn of phrase.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 22:02   #564
Resident Waffler

Having a name which isn't that of one of the towns doesn't seem to worry other district councils.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo10220959_1.jpg (107.3 KB, 52 views)

Old 27-10-2007, 22:15   #565
Super Moderator

Why should it worry them? Hemel Hempstead, Berkhamstead and Tring are all relatively unknown, so they're not losing anything by calling the area Dacorum. Accrington is world-famous and the borough should be exploiting its potential to the full by adopting its name.
Old 27-10-2007, 22:17   #566
God Member

Is this thread going to end up as long as the other one on this subject?
Old 27-10-2007, 23:40   #567
Resting in peace

Quote:
Why should it worry them? Hemel Hempstead, Berkhamstead and Tring are all relatively unknown, so they're not losing anything by calling the area Dacorum. Accrington is world-famous and the borough should be exploiting its potential to the full by adopting its name.
Just imagine Wynonie, Accrington Stanley changing it's name to, Hyndburn Peter. Mind you they could always call it, Bendoon United..
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 00:42   #568
Resident Waffler

But Accrington has still remained well known all the time it's been part of Hyndburn for the past 30 years. It didn't cease to exist. It, along with the other towns, has been an equal part of the one greater whole. Now with the change afoot the other towns get a raw deal with Accrington being named and them being mere 'and districts' - how long before the 'and district' gets dropped and the likes of Rishton and Great Harwood lose their identity as they become known as part of Accrington in much the way that Springhill and Fern Gore are?

Far fetched? I don't think so. Changing the name is the first step on a slippery slope to non-existence for the rest of Hyndburn.

Old 28-10-2007, 01:33   #569
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
But Accrington has still remained well known all the time it's been part of Hyndburn for the past 30 years. It didn't cease to exist. It, along with the other towns, has been an equal part of the one greater whole. Now with the change afoot the other towns get a raw deal with Accrington being named and them being mere 'and districts' - how long before the 'and district' gets dropped and the likes of Rishton and Great Harwood lose their identity as they become known as part of Accrington in much the way that Springhill and Fern Gore are?

Far fetched? I don't think so. Changing the name is the first step on a slippery slope to non-existence for the rest of Hyndburn.
I think its possible that maybe Church and Clayton could lose some of their identity and be 'swallowed' up but they are contiguous to Accrington , as for Gt.Harwood and Rishton don't think would suffer at all , being separated as they are from Accrington by green belt land .
Oswaldtwistle , I cant see the gobbins from there wanting to loose one of the most unique tongue-twisting town names in the country, (kind of sounds like a place in the Little Britain TV program) no-one from outside of north east Lancashire may have any idea where it is. but its not as if international trade will suffer.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2007, 07:43   #570
Super Moderator

I can only go off my own experience on this. The borough where I live is called Stockport. It encompasses a number of surrounding towns - Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall, Poynton and others. Since 1974, they have retained their own identity and character and they are in no way on "the slippery slope to non-existence" so I very much doubt that this will happen with Accrington & Districts.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..