Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2007, 16:01   #1
God Member

Bernard Manning 76 - Dead

Just been confirmed.
Had you seen him perform?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2007, 16:14   #2
God Member

Re: Bernard Manning 76 - Dead

Is he really? I have never seen him perform although I know some people who did because he came to the Black Dog pub in Oswaldtwistle a while back.and he's visted The Bridge in Accy. I was never a fan of his,not my style of comedy I'm afraid.

Last edited by Lilly; 18-06-2007 at 16:21.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 16:24   #3
Resident Waffler

Not my style either. Had he been ill? I seem to remember hearing about him being ill a little while back.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 16:38   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Not my style either. Had he been ill? I seem to remember hearing about him being ill a little while back.
Yes he was due to appear in Darwen last Saturday but was taken to hospital and the gig was cancelled.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 16:53   #5

Well another old trooper moves on.No Bernard couldn't be considered PC but he made people laugh.If you didn't like his humour then no reason to watch his act.
He did help a lot of people during his life, so RIP!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 18:08   #6
Member.

Bernard Manning was a gentleman, a caring and charitable man who wasn’t afraid to stand his ground and voice his opinions; he was also a naturally funny man. Bernard you are going to get your arse branded up there. God bless you and rest easy.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 18:13   #7
God Member

i THINKS ITS A SAD LOSS TO THE WORLD OF COMEDY .ALTHOUGH NOT A HUGE FAN MYSELF HE DID HAVE A HUGE FOLLOWING AND IM SURE HE,LL BE SADLY MISSED... RIP BM
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 18:58   #8
Senior Member+

I saw him twice at the Embassy Club and I thought he was mildly ok. Some of his stuff was very racist (amongst other -ists), but I don't believe he meant any offence. He was a man from a different generation and we can't really judge him by today's standards.

On my last visit to his club (for a stag do many years ago), I got talking to him and he was a really nice bloke. Seemed very genuine and interested in what I was saying to him.

RIP Bernard. You made people laugh and that can't be a bad thing.
Old 18-06-2007, 19:08   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

saw him a couple of times years ago,loved the man, was not what he appeared to be onstage, personally i applaud the guy, he told the PC brigade to get stuffed,and carried on the way he was Very Funny in my opinion.R.I.P.
Old 18-06-2007, 19:36   #10
God Member

A long long time ago, when I was just out of college, I got a job working for a signwriters in Manchester. Bernard Manning used them to do the sign for his club.

He was really sexist and he had a flirtation with the voice of the secretary - he used to call her sexy Daphne. She was possibly the least sexy woman that could ever be. Actually he was an outrageous flirt - and for all his sexism he was very good at flattering women.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 09:15   #11
Senior Member+

RIP

I can just imagine his conversation when he meets up with the gatekeeper up above ....
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 09:41   #12
Resting in Peace

I can remember when he came to the Marthome Grange... he said the women in Accrington were the "rudest" he'd ever come across and he was disgusted with the bad language. I think it made the papes at the time ( no I did not see hime there ) lol it was not me :

still rip and thoughts to his family:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 11:03   #13
Resting in peace

RIP Bernard, never afraid to stand your ground and stick two fingers up at the PC brigade, I for one will miss you as will many more 'old timers', who remember when Britain was Great.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 16:30   #14

My friend Dave Williams (keyboard player extraordinaire) and I backed Bernard in Cabaret when we played at Samantha's Club (old Club Royal) in Preston. This was probably around 1976. He had just bought a Rolls Royce and was so excited to point it out to us from the dressing room window. One probably wouldn't dare to leave a RR in Preston town centre now even if it was in daylight. He kept us on stage the whole of his act so that he could take the p*ss out of us. I came in for most of that. "Always grinning that drummer, he must have a hole in the back of that drum!" etc etc. I liked his un-inhibited humour personally, although I know he was not to everyone's taste. To woman in very low cut dress: "If your selling either of those puppies misses, I'll have the one with the pink nose!" I was also very impressed with this singing, if I remember correctly one of the two or three songs he sang with us was "Over the Rainbow." At the end of the night he gave Dave and I five quid and said "Thanks lads good job." RIP Bernard, you were certainly one of a kind

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 20:04   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

When Bernard Manning was on the TV show "The Comedians" everyone loved him. Then it became very non-PC to tell the kind of jokes he told, so everyone turned against him (because the media told them to).

His jokes were the sort that people are still telling in pubs to this day, quietly amongst their mates. You could say he was "racist" but he told his jokes without prejudice - no one was "immune", not even himself - and his actions often belied his perceived words. He would take the p*** out of anyone but there was no malice. He was also very much a family man and much loved by those who knew him.

I saw him once at a night club in Blackburn (so long ago I can't remember what it was called - or even where it was) and, though crude, he was very funny. He refused to change to fit in with what was thought "proper"; no hypocrite, our Bernard.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..