Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2007, 21:07   #16
God Member

Re: Should there be incentives for blood donation?

they do still do badges, my uncle gives blood on a regular basis and not long ago he was awarded a gold badge for giving so many pints, i think he's been doing it for about 30 years now
Old 20-08-2007, 21:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
The biggest incentive is already there.By giving your blood you can save somebody's life.What greater reward is there than to know that a simple act of yours has saved somebody else's life?
I totally agree there is nothing better than knowing that you could be saving someone life.

Have you seen me dancing, i mean really dancing!!!

Claire Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 22:11   #18
God Member

I donate ... the best incentive I had was to have serious surgery during which I needed several gallons of the stuff. But the best incentive is knowing that you may save a life ... I know that this only gets the people who actually give a damn, but there are probably more of these than one thinks. It just needs a good, no great ad campaign, god if one cans get folks to eat at the golden arches, or drink that panther p**s Corona beer, then surely you could get people to give a little back, or put a little into the account that you hope you don't have to draw on.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 22:53   #19
Senior Member+

once i was sittin there waiting to go in and some first timers came in askin if it was ok to give blood considering they were still a bit drunk from last night *L*

i think they were told to come back
Old 20-08-2007, 23:13   #20
God Member

Been looking on a few web sites about giving blood. I want to give blood.

It says that if you had a blood transfusion from 1980 to 1996 you can't give blood. Why is this??

and another thing, I had to have one in 1997 due to it being dangerous for me to give birth due to my very low Iron levels!! Do you think I could still give it even though it was a year after 1996??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 23:23   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post

It says that if you had a blood transfusion from 1980 to 1996 you can't give blood. Why is this??

and another thing, I had to have one in 1997 due to it being dangerous for me to give birth due to my very low Iron levels!! Do you think I could still give it even though it was a year after 1996??
Just call into The Globe Centre next time they are there and I'm sure they will answer any queries you have
Old 21-08-2007, 08:16   #22

Quote:

I think if you went along they will advise you best. They have to do a few test and when you go for the first time it does take longer than those who have given blood before. Then they will tell you if you can give blood or not.

Have you seen me dancing, i mean really dancing!!!

Claire Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 14:53   #23
God Member

Quote:

The reason is something to do with CJD and the fact that you may be hatching it if you had a transfusion between these years!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 14:59   #24
God Member

Quote:
The reason is something to do with CJD and the fact that you may be hatching it if you had a transfusion between these years!
Oh well that's humbling to know!!

Oh well I have been cold a mad cow many times before!! not to worry

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 15:35   #25
God Member

Quote:
I thought that it was because before that, donated blood wasn't screened for hepatitis -which Anita Roddick found out when she was diagnosed

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 15:53   #26
Passed away 25-11-09

The CJD thing is a factor, as I said in my first post in this thread. They told my daughter they can't guarantee her transfusion in 1999 was CJD risk free.
Old 26-08-2007, 22:17   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Just call into The Globe Centre next time they are there and I'm sure they will answer any queries you have
And on that thought if anyone knows when they are here next could you please put a post on here as a reminder for any would be donors.
Old 27-08-2007, 12:48   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
And on that thought if anyone knows when they are here next could you please put a post on here as a reminder for any would be donors.
thats a good idea,as usually its not well advertized
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 12:58   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyalex View Post
thats a good idea,as usually its not well advertized
When it was at the New Era people walking into town would see the vans parked at the bottom end of Cannon Street and they would just bob in to give theit blood. Now that it is at the Globe Centre the vans are more or less hidden away and nobody sees them unless they happen to walk on Scaitcliffe Street. So I think a little prompt on here could result in more people donating each time
Old 28-08-2007, 21:17   #30
Foreign Correspondent

Hmmm.....when I was at college, they used to give a keg of beer to the dormitory with the highest percentage of donors. You even got credit towards the total if you were rejected as a donor. I started giving blood then, and still do it today (but now supply my own beer!)

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..