Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 11:42   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: New Tesco Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Well Kate start eating your thongsNothing happening across the way in fact the gypsy caravan is still there
Do you think they will taste better with chips or roast potatoes Bernie ?

I actually meant the Great Harwood Tesco, (which has now planning permission) as realised Accy would take longer to get through.

Unfortunately, threw out my thongs a few weeks ago due to bedroom make over ... can't stand 'em.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2008, 19:15   #62
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Looks like plans for the tesco in accy have been submitted.....
http://www.lancashireeveningtelegrap..._submitted.php
Old 18-06-2008, 19:20   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Looks like plans for the tesco in accy have been submitted.....
http://www.lancashireeveningtelegrap..._submitted.php

Maybe the council will stipulate that they have to follow the same rules ofr planning permission as all other new shops in Accy, everything must cost a pound

Why are Sainsbury's objecting ?
Old 25-06-2008, 19:04   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The bus station will be next to the rail station and Tesco will be near both -makes sense to me - gives shoppers without cars better access to a supermarket
Fantastic news, Why should we have to trail to Burnley, Bury or even Rawtenstall when there will be a Tesco on our doorstep? Thumbs up for this idea. Let's put Accrington on the map for modernised shopping once and for all.
regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 19:22   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Maybe the council will stipulate that they have to follow the same rules ofr planning permission as all other new shops in Accy, everything must cost a pound

Why are Sainsbury's objecting ?
Because the town centre masterplan has a Sainsbury's on it. It's a bit hard to describe but the entrance to the Arndale carpark will be brought out and a Sainsbury's built on top. The viaduct roundabout will not be a roundabout anymore - no, too complicated to explain best go look at the plans.

Anyway, the point is that Sainsbury's are on the plans so presumably there is an element of commitment for them to come into the town at some point - a Tesco could spoil their plans I guess.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 10:45   #66
God Member

See the plans have been approved for the Accrington store don't think anybody will be surprised!!!
Old 26-06-2008, 12:59   #67
Junior Member+

I live 25 miles from my nearest supermarket and its great.Only have to go once a month to stock up and then use local outlets for milk and fruit and veg.The meat is loads better t the butcher and we know the farms where it has come from.Took abit of getting used to as I used to live 5mins from all the big ones.
The only downside is the price of petrol locally.
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 13:05   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
I live 25 miles from my nearest supermarket and its great.Only have to go once a month to stock up and then use local outlets for milk and fruit and veg.The meat is loads better t the butcher and we know the farms where it has come from.Took abit of getting used to as I used to live 5mins from all the big ones.
The only downside is the price of petrol locally.
Tesco have an excellent online delivery service.
It may well work out cheaper for you.
If you are organised enough to shop monthly you are likely to benefit from free deliveries
http://www.shoppingcodes.co.uk/tesco_voucher_codes.asp
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...702329&page=31

PS - they do deliver to remote locations - my cousin who lives on the edge of a cliff in S Wales uses them

Last edited by MargaretR; 26-06-2008 at 13:12.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 14:04   #69
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Do you think they will taste better with chips or roast potatoes Bernie ?

I actually meant the Great Harwood Tesco, (which has now planning permission) as realised Accy would take longer to get through.

Unfortunately, threw out my thongs a few weeks ago due to bedroom make over ... can't stand 'em.
Kate...I have a better idea...burn them and then put the ash into a double brandy...with mixer if preferred and then down the hatch.

Sorry, just got to the bit where it says you've thrown them out...it'll have to be bloomers then
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 14:54   #70
Resident Waffler

I am sad to see the permission has gone through. I think it is a bit sneaky on Sainsbury's who committed to being part of the new development plans as the location of that one would be much better. However, I am more concerned that supermarkets are taking over and small shops are going under.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 17:06   #71
Junior Member+

Hi,thanks,I know that tescos deliver out here as my friends use them.I usually tie going with every thing else that needs doing.
Fab living on the edge of a cliff tho do ejoy the dales and big hills.
HAven't been to Accrington yet wat are the shops like generally besides having all the supermarkets
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 17:15   #72
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Wonder how long it will take them to build it?
Old 26-06-2008, 18:31   #73
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It says in the Observer it might be open for next Summer.
Old 26-06-2008, 18:54   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It says in the Observer it might be open for next Summer.
Once it opens the town will be even deader than it is now and the "names" that we still have like New Look, Marks and in all probability a good few more will have shut shop and left, not to mention what it will do to the remaining market hall.
The Sainsbury's plan would have at least kept shoppers in the town centre, this will just kill it stone dead.
Old 26-06-2008, 19:00   #75

This is terrible news, that area of town is already a traffic nightmare at rush hour, imagine how this will be with all the construction traffic, never mind the thousands of shoppers flocking there when the store is built.

Surely an out of town site would be better, people would still use the store the same, but it would reduce the impact on the town center traffic and trade.

I wonder if the scheme would have been given the backing had the fat wallet of Tesco not dangled the best part of £1million in the councils face.
b-sound is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..