Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2008, 19:09   #76
God Member

Re: New Tesco Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-sound View Post
I wonder if the scheme would have been given the backing had the fat wallet of Tesco not dangled the best part of £1million in the councils face.

Like hell it would....................
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-06-2008, 19:23   #77
Senior Member+

well I for one am glad its being built, as I have said before - 450 people will gain a job from it - surely that cannot be a bad thing?
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 19:35   #78
Senior Member+

Depends on how many in the existing town centre will lose their jobs.
Don't get me wrong, I shop at Tesco but it isn't what Accy needs right now. The established retailers are dying on their feet now, it will finish loads of them off,I know it's healthy to have competition but not when they can undercut you to the extent that tesco can because of their huge buying power, if I had to take a guess I would say it will finish off WH Smith, Iceland,New Look, poss Woolies and poss even Boots because they will take a huge share of the market and no doubt open a 100 hour pharmacy.
Old 26-06-2008, 19:45   #79
God Member

I wonder what is classed as the town centre? I would have thought that Eagle St did qualify as town centre so should be part of the town centre masterplan.

If so, then it's hopefully part of a wider plan that incorporates the whole regeneration of the town.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 19:50   #80
Senior Member+

it may be the case that some of the workers will leave their jobs to go work at tesco rather than lose them at their present employers - should they cut staff numbers, retail is a dog eat dog world, having worked in it previously for 14 years at a high level I am glad I am out of it, alot of bitching, backstabbing and brown nosing where companys dont care who leaves or who they sack..and shops like wh smith and iceland will all have their own loyal shoppers..who still goes to iceland even though asda is along the road?..plenty of folk given the queues in it at the weekend...all these shops offer different deals on things so you will shop about - tesco will be the same..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 19:51   #81
Senior Member+

I know it's not being classed as an "edge of town" store but it's not exactly central to the shopping centre as it is, whereas the Arndale masterplan would have kept the retail area together.
Old 26-06-2008, 19:56   #82
God Member

It wasn't just an Arndale masterplan was it? I thought it extended beyond that - can't quite remember how far now and I can't find it on the Hyndburn BC site.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 22:06   #83
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
well I for one am glad its being built, as I have said before - 450 people will gain a job from it - surely that cannot be a bad thing?
I'l bet 400 of them jobs will be part time. Britcliffe's mob have been bamboozled again by big numbers being bandied about, firms like Tesco and Asda prefer part timers, they cost less to employ than full timers.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:30   #84

I have just joined the website to take a look at how the response to the "new tesco in accy" is. I have to say in my opinion the planning was signed sealed and delivered well before the vote. How are local planners can say this is ok is beyond me and my friends who are also local retailers.Has anyone thought of the amount of traffic that Blackburn Road and Eagle Street will have to contend with 4,500 extra vehicles they say! Per day. PLUS 15 , 45 foot lorries in 24 hours + Home deliver Vehicles.
Oh Plus the buses from the new proposed Bus station in a couple of years.
They say the delivery vehicles will be coming in at quieter times and not up Eagle street! We will see.Then there is the pedestrian safety issue!

As a family retailer who has been in Accrington for over 30 years (and as a family established over 60 years) I know it will devastate the local shopping / retail community. It’s ok saying about competition etc but we can not compete with the council backing these plans like a bunch of sheep. It will hit Pharmacies, Newsagents, White goods, Off licences, Cafés, Clothing shops, Florists, Book shops, PC Accessories and many others. No decent retailer will be encouraged to establish in the town centre. The Hyrnburn Chamber of Trade and BWD council + others, fought hard and long to see off Peel Holdings on the Whitebirk planning even when they were advised that the Peel holdings team would rip them apart at an appeal hearing, they were stead fast and won the appeal. But this planning in my opinion seemed to be already decided , the 106 agreement will help ease the council’s conscience on this no doubt. In my opinion having taken part in the objections and application process it is a complete white wash from the council and it’s officers. As for how many jobs it will bring to the town, this is a small amount in comparison to how many families and parts of the community it will effect in job losses and business closures.Market Hall refirbishment it's a laugh!
I am thinking of collecting a petition to ask our local MP and the Government inspectorate to look into the Planning for this Tesco and raise a further objection as it is not over yet. Don't hink just because it's been passed it can not be revoked, it can but only at goverment level.If any one is happy to sign it please let me know and I will arrange a weekend very soon to get signatures in the town centre or Market Hall. I won’t hold my breath with some but I will hope others will see that this is not a good thing for the Town and surrounding areas. On the traffic alone it will be a nightmare. PEOPLE OF ACCY,Hyndburn and surrounding areas,once it’s here it’s here we have to act FAST.
Ps it is just on the other side of the conservation and town centre bounderies so thats how it managed to slip in. Whats that smell??
dintymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:38   #85
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dintymc View Post
I have just joined the website to take a look at how the response to the "new tesco in accy" is. I have to say in my opinion the planning was signed sealed and delivered well before the vote. How are local planners can say this is ok is beyond me and my friends who are also local retailers.Has anyone thought of the amount of traffic that Blackburn Road and Eagle Street will have to contend with 4,500 extra vehicles they say! Per day. PLUS 15 , 45 foot lorries in 24 hours + Home deliver Vehicles.
Oh Plus the buses from the new proposed Bus station in a couple of years.
They say the delivery vehicles will be coming in at quieter times and not up Eagle street! We will see.Then there is the pedestrian safety issue!

As a family retailer who has been in Accrington for over 30 years (and as a family established over 60 years) I know it will devastate the local shopping / retail community. It’s ok saying about competition etc but we can not compete with the council backing these plans like a bunch of sheep. It will hit Pharmacies, Newsagents, White goods, Off licences, Cafés, Clothing shops, Florists, Book shops, PC Accessories and many others. No decent retailer will be encouraged to establish in the town centre. The Hyrnburn Chamber of Trade and BWD council + others, fought hard and long to see off Peel Holdings on the Whitebirk planning even when they were advised that the Peel holdings team would rip them apart at an appeal hearing, they were stead fast and won the appeal. But this planning in my opinion seemed to be already decided , the 106 agreement will help ease the council’s conscience on this no doubt. In my opinion having taken part in the objections and application process it is a complete white wash from the council and it’s officers. As for how many jobs it will bring to the town, this is a small amount in comparison to how many families and parts of the community it will effect in job losses and business closures.Market Hall refirbishment it's a laugh!
I am thinking of collecting a petition to ask our local MP and the Government inspectorate to look into the Planning for this Tesco and raise a further objection as it is not over yet. Don't hink just because it's been passed it can not be revoked, it can but only at goverment level.If any one is happy to sign it please let me know and I will arrange a weekend very soon to get signatures in the town centre or Market Hall. I won’t hold my breath with some but I will hope others will see that this is not a good thing for the Town and surrounding areas. On the traffic alone it will be a nightmare. PEOPLE OF ACCY,Hyndburn and surrounding areas,once it’s here it’s here we have to act FAST.
Ps it is just on the other side of the conservation and town centre bounderies so thats how it managed to slip in. Whats that smell??

With all due respect I think most people would love to see the town centre survive and flourish without Tesco's. However even before Tesco's submitted the plans shops were closing down left, right and centre. It's a standing joke that Accrington is a town full of pound shops and charity shops.

What were the plans from the local chamber of trade to change this trend ? I know from recent enquiries that the price of opening a shop in Accrington is way too high. There is no help for new businesses to have a go which would probably have been the best incentive going to give the town some life.
Old 06-07-2008, 22:23   #86
Loz

Despite peoples protests about Tesco opening a store like lancsdave said Accrington isn't exactly thriving as a place to shop and this could be the thing to bring people back to our town and drag us back up again.
And yes the majority of jobs will probably be part time but any jobs created are better than nothing surely?
Old 06-07-2008, 22:28   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
And yes the majority of jobs will probably be part time but any jobs created are better than nothing surely?
You've got to weigh it up against how many small / family businesses will fold though.

Some people will lose their livelihood and a part time job at Tesco can't replace that.
Old 06-07-2008, 22:31   #88
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
You've got to weigh it up against how many small / family businesses will fold though.

Some people will lose their livelihood and a part time job at Tesco can't replace that.
I know what you are saying but unfortunately you can't stop progress and thats what this is for accy.
If the businesses are well established with many regular customers i can't see them being that affected by it,supermarkets have opened all over the place and it can't have done too much damage surely or i would have thought there would be more of an uproar about it.
Old 06-07-2008, 22:36   #89

Some people will welcome it. Part time work is all that some folk can do due to various constraints. I do think that the Town Centre as a whole will hit hard though.
Old 06-07-2008, 22:37   #90
God Member

I know some people on here have said how good Burnley is as a shopping town. The building of Tesco's there has actually helped because people nip in for a pint of milk and use the free car park for a couple of hours while they go in to town and shop

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..