Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 08:58   #106
God Member

Re: New Tesco Store

Is there not likely to be uproar from those who are electrical retailers already her that they couldn't compete? Change in the town will be good but at what expense?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2008, 09:12   #107
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I cant wait for it to open....will be a change from Asda, since that shop is getting very expensive

There will be a price war between em both
Old 09-07-2008, 09:39   #108
God Member

When I do my online grocery shopping, I use the comparison site - MySupermarket.
It depends on what you are buying, but for me, Tesco always works out a few pounds cheaper than Asda.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:54   #109
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Is there not likely to be uproar from those who are electrical retailers already her that they couldn't compete? Change in the town will be good but at what expense?

What electrical retailers in town? We don't have a dixons, currys, comet, etc. just cryers for panasonic and the cheap shop for refurb LCDs. Only other place is Argos who are tesco like so let them fight for it!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:02   #110
Resident Waffler

There's Cryers. They have decent tellys.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:11   #111
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

woolies sell some electrical stuff but not much, surprised they havent started selling big LCD/plasma tvs
Old 09-07-2008, 10:14   #112
God Member

If you want to view before you buy and don't shop on-line you have to go out of town to buy most large items. I had to go to Whitebirk for a new cooker hardly ideal for someone who doesn't drive!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:30   #113
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

In the end only a kamikaze pilot would have turned it down because it was unwinable (with a costly defeat in prospect). In an ideal world we should be able to say no to almost anything and not have to be held to account by people (or big business) outside of the Borough. That would be true democracy but no party has (or is currently) in favour of that.
This is an interesting point because I think one of the reasons why Accrington has gone down hill is because of people saying 'no' all the time. The local Chamber of Trade or Shopkeepers Forum (whatever they're called - I can't remember) seem to be up in arms about stuff all the time. If they'd been saying yes then possibly there would be more things going on in the town centre. The only way to get investment into the town centre is to drag it in other retailers and create some competition.

Now, I realise that people are nervous about a Tesco taking their trade but let's face it, if you're going to shop in a supermarket you're already in Asda each week anyway.

What has to happen is that the town centre team has to capitalise on this and use it to draw other retailers in and to encourage business to thrive in the area.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:40   #114
God Member

I agree Gayle, the council and shopkeepers need to ride on the wave of interest that this will generate to show their worth against teh ASDAs and TESCOs of this world.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:10   #115
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
This is an interesting point because I think one of the reasons why Accrington has gone down hill is because of people saying 'no' all the time. The local Chamber of Trade or Shopkeepers Forum (whatever they're called - I can't remember) seem to be up in arms about stuff all the time. If they'd been saying yes then possibly there would be more things going on in the town centre. The only way to get investment into the town centre is to drag it in other retailers and create some competition.

Now, I realise that people are nervous about a Tesco taking their trade but let's face it, if you're going to shop in a supermarket you're already in Asda each week anyway.

What has to happen is that the town centre team has to capitalise on this and use it to draw other retailers in and to encourage business to thrive in the area.
The council probably draw in more money from major supermarkets than they do from say.......all the revenue paid by Market Traders and the like.
Local traders will always struggle against the Supermarkets because of buying power.
Unless masssive incentives are offered and, more important ongoing trade, to make it sustainable it will be very difficult to attract anyone.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 14:15   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Unless masssive incentives are offered and, more important ongoing trade, to make it sustainable it will be very difficult to attract anyone.
I agree but if there's any time to do this, now is that time.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 14:22   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The council probably draw in more money from major supermarkets than they do from say.......all the revenue paid by Market Traders and the like.
Local traders will always struggle against the Supermarkets because of buying power.
thats been happening fer years royboy, there has been no real incentive to the big name stores to venture into accy, so therefore they aint, maybe,just maybe the authority will wake up in the advent of the new tesco, if they don't, then its same as always been.
Old 09-07-2008, 18:58   #118
God Member

The main problem with a lot of town centres now is that they are all the same, there's no choice. Maybe the money the council take from Tesco's could be used to generate an incentive scheme where retailers can offer something different and making Accy a place for people to have a change.

Mind you they might need a border patrol round the town centre to keep some of those out that now frequent it
Old 09-07-2008, 21:23   #119
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

I agree Gayle. In general we may end up pandering to backward thinking.

I was thinking of off-licenses, planning. Having a kebab shop of 'offy' plonked in a quiet residential area because national law says so removes power from ordinary people.

I felt that Tesco's was not a choice because of national planning policies. In all likelood, The Council Tax payer would have lost a lot of money. Laws have been tightened to empower local communities but not enough in this case.

If it had been purely a local decision I don't know which way I would have voted because supermarkets are unethical companies. However the vast majority of people in Peel Ward would be in favour and it is their view I am allowed to represent by their support.

I would probably have voted for because i believe the leakage, the amount of extra people shopping in the town because of Tesco's will increase. Also the south side of Blackburn Rd will be transformed into a residential area above the retail and Tesco's will help that transformation in my view.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 21:31   #120
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I agree Bernie, it would make sense for multiple entrances, hopefully these are details that aren't yet set in stone.
Personally I am and was always 'for' it as I'm one of those who currently goes out of town to shop ( I absolutely HATE the car park layout at ASDA to teh point that i don't want to shop there). I also believe that it is a chance for teh town centre to get some oomph back. Once people are going into town for whatever reason its then up to the shops and market to make it an enjoyable experience to shop there.

Graham, not sure if this is something teh council could or should get involved with but IMHO some form of 'supermarket trolley' that can be used round the whole of town would be a cracking idea. The only bad part of shopping on the market and in town is that you end up lugging half a hundredweight of veg etc round with you. If we turned the whole of the 'market town' into a true 'Supermarket' with trolley zones by the car parks etc I reckon more peole would be willing to shop at the small stores. ake them "£1" deposit ones or whatever I'd still use one.
I am confused now Enti! Did we have this conversatiion a year ago????

I have been advocating a change in how we shop including the 'TC trolley' for a while. That includes suitable flooring, suitable locations, co-operation, anti-chav measures (like a £2 coin slot) or £5 deposit at a kiosk.

I also thought a TC 'trolley bus' may be a good idea. I like in San Fran how you hop on and off over a short space. A roof on Broadway for obvious reasons may promote that idea though a town full of colliding trolleys might put some people off. Designer trolleys?? Trolley zones???
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..