Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 21:37   #121
Senior Member+

Re: New Tesco Store

We have been floating lots of ideas and they seem to be being accepted by the other Councillors. Talk of doing away with the folly of the pavilions, at least on Peel Street with the moving of the Bus Station. We think french type wheeled stalls (the wooden ones you see) with folding sides and colourful awnings may be ideal. Rented when wanted, located where suitable, stored securely from vandals and thieves cutting costs, they would be an attractive alternative to the less charming empty rows of pavilion stalls we have now and reveal once again the magnificence of the Market Hall stone work.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2008, 11:42   #122
God Member

I really hope that the access has been sorted out for the new store, was on the bus on Monday and it took twenty minutes to get from the town hall out past the Railway This was at just after two in the afternoon so not even peak time, god knows what it will be like when folk are travelling to and from work!!!
Old 16-07-2008, 16:44   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I really hope that the access has been sorted out for the new store, was on the bus on Monday and it took twenty minutes to get from the town hall out past the Railway This was at just after two in the afternoon so not even peak time, god knows what it will be like when folk are travelling to and from work!!!
It think they maybe a little bit late Bernie
Old 17-09-2008, 07:16   #124
Resting in Peace

Well it looks like they have made a start on this tesco's
unless they are just doing the carpark up ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0070.jpg (507.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0071.jpg (519.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0072.jpg (360.8 KB, 31 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 11:06   #125
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post

It really saddens me that we're going to become another corporate ghost town.
Old 17-09-2008, 11:08   #126
Senior Member+

is that across from lardies?

if it is then i thinks its great,its not far from me and i wont have to go to asda. shame its not a morrisons, i like morrisons better but its too far for me to go for my shopping.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 11:18   #127
God Member

people already go out of town to tesco anyway so i think its a great idea, i know a few of my friends take the bus to the one in Haslingden, i know they will welcome it

in Blackburn we have had all the major supermarkets for years and Blackburn hasnt died a death yet

Accrington has been dying a death for years, it has nothing at all to do with the upcoming supermarket, that will bring people INTO the town, so when people say it will be bad for Accy, i say its a load of testicles

Last edited by flashy; 17-09-2008 at 11:21.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 11:19   #128
God Member

This week I have divided my fortnightly delivery between Tesco and Asda, because both were offering me £10 discount by voucher.

If you want to save on grocery shopping you need to organise your freezer and storecupboard, plan for needs for 2 weeks ahead, buy in bulk where you can, and use voucher numbers (available at other online sites) which will give you a discount of more than the delivery charge.

When more people realise they can do this, it wont matter where the new supermarkets are built

Last edited by MargaretR; 17-09-2008 at 11:22.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 11:21   #129
Senior Member+

i usually like going and doing my shopping, (asda smells funny atm lol)if i didnt go and do it i would only leave the house to take ty to school and pick him up..

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 17-09-2008, 11:30   #130
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
people already go out of town to tesco anyway so i think its a great idea, i know a few of my friends take the bus to the one in Haslingden, i know they will welcome it

in Blackburn we have had all the major supermarkets for years and Blackburn hasnt died a death yet

Accrington has been dying a death for years, it has nothing at all to do with the upcoming supermarket, that will bring people INTO the town, so when people say it will be bad for Accy, i say its a load of testicles
i'm with flashy on this, once a week i go blackburn fer tesco, to me the people that gripe have a vested interest. as i said before "Tesco" certainly didn't do Burnley much harm.
Old 17-09-2008, 11:35   #131
Senior Member+

i used to go to tesco in burnley, pretty good value for money

Old 17-09-2008, 11:51   #132
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Don't think it is Tesco doing the work Mick, think it is for the new rail/bus station
Old 17-09-2008, 17:59   #133
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I thought Tesco was gonna be further UP the road, thats were the carpark was so bernadette ya could be right
Old 17-09-2008, 23:11   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I thought Tesco was gonna be further UP the road, thats were the carpark was so bernadette ya could be right
You are right, tesco is going to be built on the disused "skillcentre" site across from the eagle st car park where all the work is going on at the moment. Bernadette is right, the work going on at the moment is for the new rail and bus interchange. According to the Accrington Observer website, Tesco will be having talks with their contractors shortly so it wont be long before the whole area is like a giant building site on Eagle street!!
carlsbergaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 00:04   #135
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post

Flashy I think you are wrong. Blackburn born and bread.
I went into the market on Friday of last week and was disgusted at the demise of Blackburn Market and of the Mall. Empty stalls in both.
I think the same applies to Accrington.
Supermarkets control the trade and buying clout which is outside the the reach of local traders and they cannot compete.
Tesco, Asda, Morrison's, Sommerfields and Sainsbury's. with the lesser extent Lidle and Alde do not give the local traders a chance.
Can you say that local produce is sold or offered for sale in these outlets?
My suggestion would be that if a new Supermarket with all the trimmings, car parks etc., were submitted for planning permission then there should be built on the complex outlets for local traders say 20, rent free.
They would be subjected to council tax and the Council would not suffer.
Silly suggestion I know but worth thinking about.
Dream on Royboy.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..