Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2008, 02:49   #136
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: New Tesco Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Can you say that local produce is sold or offered for sale in these outlets?
I bought Lancashire milk, mushrooms and carrots from Tesco the other day.
Old 18-09-2008, 09:27   #137
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
This week I have divided my fortnightly delivery between Tesco and Asda, because both were offering me £10 discount by voucher.

If you want to save on grocery shopping you need to organise your freezer and storecupboard, plan for needs for 2 weeks ahead, buy in bulk where you can, and use voucher numbers (available at other online sites) which will give you a discount of more than the delivery charge.

When more people realise they can do this, it wont matter where the new supermarkets are built
I love reading your posts Margaret, the way your organised reminds me of my mum, she was a very good house keeper and was very thrifty to boot, I think a lot of what my mum did rubbed of on me, because I tend to do the things she did as far as houshold planning. One thing my mother did teach me was not to use HP, I never have or will, If I want anything I save for it and don't go into debt
Old 18-09-2008, 09:41   #138
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I love reading your posts Margaret, the way your organised reminds me of my mum, she was a very good house keeper and was very thrifty to boot, I think a lot of what my mum did rubbed of on me, because I tend to do the things she did as far as houshold planning. One thing my mother did teach me was not to use HP, I never have or will, If I want anything I save for it and don't go into debt
LOL - I thought for a second you meant HP sauce - almost went to look at my bottle in case I had missed noticing a hazardous ingredient

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 00:03   #139
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
When more people realise they can do this, it wont matter where the new supermarkets are built

If more and more people shop on line, we won't have anymore Supermarkets being built.

Still like to shop instore and see what I am getting before I pay for it.

Go to tescos in Blackburn at the mo, and occasionally Haslingden. So would certainly be using the new store.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 00:17   #140
Resting in Peace

Have expressed my opinion many times on here .. just once again am disappointed that Sainsburys and their location plans have not been considered seriously as an alternative by our Councillors. 'Heil Tesco' and their bribes ..end of

Don't think many more people will shop online ... unless you are at home most days to accept delivery.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 00:28   #141
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Have expressed my opinion many times on here .. just once again am disappointed that Sainsburys and their location plans have not been considered seriously as an alternative by our Councillors. 'Heil Tesco' and their bribes ..end of

Don't think many more people will shop online ... unless you are at home most days to accept delivery.
Deliveries evenings and weekends too

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 05:19   #142
Senior Member+

i think people are in a way wrong to just start accusing asda/morrisons/tesco of killing the local markets etc

simple fact is money talks and convienience matters.

as fresh/nice/nostalgic things are from the market - they're cheaper in asda. you dont have to walk stall to stall getting the stuff - you bang it in one trolley and there you go. you only have to get once on the way into asda and once on your way out. none of this walking quickly from here to there getting cold.

the town wont die. people will still enjoy getting stuff from shops etc. that whole notion of the home made family store has long died off.
Old 20-09-2008, 09:48   #143
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
i think people are in a way wrong to just start accusing asda/morrisons/tesco of killing the local markets etc

simple fact is money talks and convienience matters.

as fresh/nice/nostalgic things are from the market - they're cheaper in asda. you dont have to walk stall to stall getting the stuff - you bang it in one trolley and there you go. you only have to get once on the way into asda and once on your way out. none of this walking quickly from here to there getting cold.

the town wont die. people will still enjoy getting stuff from shops etc. that whole notion of the home made family store has long died off.
Quite agree mani, the corner shop died of a long time ago. On the passing of te corner shop, one of Hyndburns biggest employers went with it. I worked for Lancashir Shopfitters in the sixies and seventies and nearly 100% of the buiness was aimed at the corner shop, when the muli-nationals started to get a grip, the days were numbered for that firm.
Old 20-09-2008, 10:01   #144
Senior Member+

the local shops wont die off as they will have their regulars..did they have all this when marks and spencers/asda moved in?...
how many folk do their shopping in burnley/blackburn already?
and there will be many a householder looking forward to tesco being built as they may benefit from getting a job from it...you always look after yourself..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 18:30   #145
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I bought Lancashire milk, mushrooms and carrots from Tesco the other day.

Me too along with Lancashire strawberries...............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 18:56   #146
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

very well summed up mani, its all about ease n cost, thats the bottom line fer US as well as the big supermarkets, some just can't/won't see that.
Old 23-09-2008, 10:35   #147
God Member

I wonder if they'll be building this new Tesco with Accrington Brick?

From today's Telegraph: Famous Accrington brick manufacturer to close (From This Is Lancashire)

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 10:41   #148
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post

From today's Telegraph: Famous Accrington brick manufacturer to close (From This Is Lancashire)
if they can get it Cheap then probably.
Old 23-09-2008, 10:51   #149
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Yet another old local firm bites the dust
Old 23-09-2008, 11:55   #150
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:

That is a blow to the area.

This is a quote from that news article

Quote:
"There needs to be more pressure from Hyndburn Council to ensure that local firms are supported.”
I just don't see how HBC can influence a multinational company to stay in Hyndburn.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..